• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

routing of speedometer cable on BN6?

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello all,

Is there an alternate routing of the speedometer cable on my 59 Healey BN6 other than having it run between the front of the transmission cover and the firewall? I'm trying to insulate heat transfer (as much as possible) and it seems counterproductive to add the "gap" needed for the cable to fit.
Has anyone done it differently - perhaps run it out to the engine compartment and then back underneath to the transmission?

Thanks!
Chet

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
On my '57 BN4 the cable goes out through a grommetted hole in the firewall, then down and under the transmission tunnel to the overdrive, much like you described.

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
On my '57 BN4 the cable goes out through a grommetted hole in the firewall, then down and under the transmission tunnel to the overdrive, much like you described.

John...looking under my dash there is no "unused" hole in the firewall for me to use. Could you give me some guidance on where your's is located...in case I'm looking in the wrong area?

Thanks!
Chet

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have three holes in a vertical line between the fuse block and the hinge. The speedometer cable goes through the middle one, wiring through the upper and the vent control cable through the lower one. I took a photo, but it's not showing up.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Chet, I don't know what is original for a BN6 but here is what I did with my BJ7. see Pics:

Attachments

• Copy (2) of DSCF2263.JPG
    Copy (2) of DSCF2263.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF2292.JPG
    DSCF2292.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Copy of DSCF3151.JPG
    Copy of DSCF3151.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 127

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I found my BN7 speedo cable "trapped" between what Moss calls the gear box extension panel and the gearbox cover. Freeing the cable required removal of the seats, carpet, transmission cover, etc. When I installed a replacement cable, I drilled a hole quite similar in location to the one visible in vette's center photo above (near the top). I, of course, minimized the diameter of the hole and installed a grommet. The cable now comes up behind the the top of the carpet at the point pretty much illustrated in the mentioned photo and wends into the speedo. I can remove it in minutes. My car is a Smitty Toyota conversion, so I am automatically freed from some of the restraints those with concours requirements or owners determined to maintain originality. Might add that I chose not to use the right-angle adapter Toyota sells to provide a more direct route away from where the cable plugs into the gear box. I chose, instead, to buy a slightly longer cable that allowed a gentle bend away from the box. The big challenge was attaching the fitting required by the Toyota box to a Healey cable. I know this because I first didn't shorten the cable enough to allow it to attach at the speedo, requiring a redo. On the topic of Smitty conversions, our Healey club just accomplished the installation of a 3.545 ring and pinion set sourced from SC Parts in the UK in my car. So far it is very quiet and my drive train now gives me right at 66 mph at 3000 rpm compared to 59 mph with the old 3.909 ring and pinion measured with my GPS. I have no idea which of the innumerable Toyota gear boxes is installed in my car, but for all that is operates beautifully. My expense, including about $280 to have the gears professionally installed in a loaner differential, was perhaps $900.

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I will get back under my dash over the weekend and see if there's a hole similar to John's that I can snake the cable through to attach to the transmission.

Thanks everyone!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Chet, I don't know what is original for a BN6 but here is what I did with my BJ7. see Pics:

OK Vette:
Put a grommet in that cotton pickin hole-:angel2:

Last edited:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yep Keoke, I got a grommet in it now. didn't have one at the time.
Rick, I was making an auxilary panel for a radio and then some aux power plugs for the GPS and I-Pad. But I decided not to install a radio. 'ell, wouldn't be able to hear it anyway above the sound of those outrageous pipes. (Good Sound though). Can't hear the wife talking hardly at speed. {that's a good sound too, :smile: } I was thinking of buying a set of radio head phones to use while were cruising then I thought what am I nuts...
So I installed the aux power plugs on the bottom of the parcel shelf an put the new panel away for another time. Here's pics of the aux panel and then one of what the dash looks like now.

Attachments

• DSCF3147.JPG
    DSCF3147.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF3146.JPG
    DSCF3146.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Copy of DSCF3220.JPG
    Copy of DSCF3220.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 105