• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rib Case arrived

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
late this afternoon.

Looks like a good clean up is first. Think I will take it to my favorate tranny rebuilder so he can put it in his neat machine for that job.

Total cost from Texas to Niceville 50 LBS, 45 bucks. A great deal for moving that heavy lump.

Sure do appreciate, thanks.

69sprite

Country flag
Jack, glad it all worked out and I hope that your tranny rebuilding guy is more reasonable and honest than my guy was.

When you get it all built and plan on installing it, tell me....it could be that I figure out a way to get to Florida to 'help'...

Larry

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Be prob a year in any case Larry before I would put it in. That pull would be number 8 for this engine and tranny. HEHE

In fact it is running so good at the moment I ain't touching anything till something brakes.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Had a chance to open and inspect.

Found as advertised, reverse and first gear kind of sad also the peice the mainshaft bearing fits into. Not listed in moss. No reason it should be damaged except that it looks like the guy who took the tranny apart used a punch on it.

All damage on the tranny was caused by people. Crunch into reverse and first. Sigh.

Even the synchro rings are in good shape. I find no wear otherwise on anything, excellent tranny.

Anyone got a reverse gear for a rib case that is useable? On third thought I think all else is just fine. I keep going out into the garage and reinspecting. Hehe.

Good thing the wife and I are going to the Mtns. in two weeks or I supose I might start messing.

69sprite

Country flag
Jack,

Hope you are happy with it... I tried to make sure you knew everything that I knew of with it, from the moment I got it.

Here's wishing you many happy hours of play/enjoyment/fun/etc.

I am still wondering if I will regret this, should anything ever happen to the Nissan/Rivergate work I did.

Keep in touch.
Larry

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
God willing I am not going anywhere Larry.

If anything the tranny is in better shape than you suggested.

What was the reason for the disassembly? I find nothing wrong except a reverse gear and they sure are not a deal.

I can find no missing teath, reverse is well worn from crunching, first actually looks preaty good.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here is a pic of the two that are worn. Only these it seems.
Any comments?

Attachments

• 25621.jpg
    25621.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 202

69sprite

Country flag
Jack,

At the time I had the guy look at the transmission, I was already thinking about doing the Rivergate conversion. I had pulled the engine and transmission from the car and was starting a clean-up/rebuild of the engine. It probably didn't need it, but the car had been setting for quite some time and I found one of the cylinder's compression was low, so I thought I would 'go stupid' and pull the engine, rebuild, it and put things back.

Well, pulled the engine, then thought about it 'crunching' every time I went into reverse, then about how it was strting to get reluctant at going into 1st, then the slight chunk into 2nd, etc, etc...Since I had the transmission out, I took it to 'a guy'(local transmission shop), who took it apart to tell me what he would charge to rebuild, then he started talking big bucks saying it needed more than what you are indicating. By then, I had located the appropriate Datsun/Nissan 5-speed for $150 and talked to the Perry's about a Rivergate kit. It turns out the numbers were almost the same as having my old tranny rebuilt by 'the guy', so I went that route. Due to my work, my laziness, and other family things, it took almost 3 years to complete the work. I am really happy with the new setup... Highway speeds are much better, but I do wonder about originality and how hard it will be to find parts for the RG setup in the future.

Larry

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Outstanding story that ends well, thanks Larry.

Will be up kinda in your neck of the woods from 10 July to 10 Aug. Will be in contact soon as I am in place.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
jlaird said:
Outstanding story that ends well, thanks Larry.

Will be up kinda in your neck of the woods from 10 July to 10 Aug. Will be in contact soon as I am in place.
OK, Jack. I am going to Road America, it will most likely be after that when I come to highlands. Things just got insane at my work as far as having to work. New equipment being installed and all that and for some reason they expect it all to run and make money at some point. Keep me informed and I look forward to seeing you again. Shame you could not talk the Mrs into bringing Miss agatha but I completely 100% understand.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
yep, that would have been fun. Maybe next time. Will let you know.

69sprite

Country flag
Jack,

If you are coming in the area, feel free to give me a call...
Maybe we can meet up somewhere....if you are really all that 'close' to me...

The only thing the Mrs. and I have planned is we will be away for our son's wedding in Ireland in early/mid August.

(and for all you out there who may accidentally know where I live... if I ain't here, da car is well protected with all sorts of vicious animals and other redneck friends with lot's o guns!)

Hope to hear from you soon.

Larry

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Heh, no no. going to NC not TX but thanks for the offer.

Regularman and I are going to try to hook up.