• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tach Case Interior Colors

TexasSprite

Jedi Hopeful
I'm in the process of transplanting an electronic tachometer into my 59 BE and thought I'd repaint the interior. Note the two toned color scheme in the attached photo. For reference purposes the top hole is where the light bulb holder mounts, the bottom holder is where the light and shroud for the High Beam or Ignition lamp mounts.

Anyone know why the blue color?

Attachments

• 19650.jpg
    19650.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 262

dklawson

Yoda
I don't know that I've ever seen the two-tone color explained. However, most people I know of who have rebuilt or refurbished their gauges have painted the inside either gloss white or highly reflective silver.

Is your picture showing the donor movement in the BE gauge case?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hard to see, almost looks like a shadow. As Doug mentioned I've seen most people go with a bright reflective white to try and get better gauge illumination.

If want to make it as it came from the factory and no one knows the answer I have a tach that I believe to be original will go track down and crack open.

OP
TexasSprite

TexasSprite

Jedi Hopeful
FYI, the picture is of a case from a 67 Midget. It is a 4" case that will work in the bugeye. It has the advantage of already having the mounting holes for the tach electomagnetic movement I am transplanting the Bugeye tach face and adding new electronics to feed the existing movement. This is precipitated by the plan to replace the generator with an alternator.

For the most even lighting of the gauge face, paint the inside of the case matte white. Don't paint it glossy white. Glossy white will pick up dark reflections from the mechanicals in the case and give uneven lighting on the face. I think that dark color at the top of the case is just the result of a sloppy job at the factory and no real quality control.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
I've noticed light blue paint inside most of the gauges that I've gone thru in the cars I've had. It seems to be universal regardless of make, year, or country of origin. I figured it was an optical trick, to color-correct the yellowish light of the gauge bulbs. That way the white numbers and pointers would look more white than yellow. Since the bottom light is shrouded, I guess the BMC guys just figured a shot of blue around the gauge light, where it would reflect the most, would suffice.

FWIW, I've always left my gauge interiors blue. (If memory serves, Testors' Robin's Egg Blue is a close match.)

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I always restore the insides of my gauges.
I found a almost perfect match spray can color at one of the home improvement stores. American Accents is the brand and it's a pastel blueish green.
Check the caps, you will find it, I forget the exact color name, it's a foo-foo color name but it's real close to what the insides of the speedo and tach were.
I paint the white first, then mask it and paint the blue, then mask the holes from inside and spray the outside of the housing matte nickle.
For the little rubber tube at the ign and hi beam light, use a short piece of heat shrink tube. A piece that fits, do not shrink it on.

nomad

Yoda
Anyone know a way to replace a missing or damaged ign or high beam jewel in these unit's???
KA.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh yea, get some of the file devider plastic tabs from your local Kmart or what ever. Use a hole punch and make a small button and glue it to the inside of the hole. You will never know the difference from the real thing.

OP
TexasSprite

TexasSprite

Jedi Hopeful
How about a blue or red LED? You have to put a resistor in series with the LED to drop the 12 V car voltage down so as not to toast the LED, but the parts are very inexpensive. For those instruments that had the plastic "jewel", a small LED could be made to sit a bit proud of the Tach or Speedometer faceplate to duplicate the look of the original.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
A dazzlingly bright LED may look out of place amidst the dim dreary glow of our instruments.

Maybe you could Lucasize the LED by dipping it in bearing grease first...? :jester: