• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Restoring my old race car

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Decided to redo my old sports racer. It had developed several cracks in its aluminum body. The engine, an alfa 1600, is out so I can overhaul it, so it was time. I had it soda blasted so I could see what I really had. I always thought it had doors that were hinged at the bottom, it did, they were welded up. Kind of interesting to see how the car was consructed, I am sure it is typical of it's time in the early 50's. I posted a picture of it some time ago on the forum. The link has additional pictures. You will find the suspension pictures interesting. It is hard for me to figure out how far to take the body work. It was a race car so I have a hard time believing that it was perfect in its day, it wasn't when I got it.

437708660_9c14b4377e.jpg

Gemini

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sweet! RE: the bodywork - do it right, you've got it this far and if you don't it will just p*** you off every time you look at it from here to eternity.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Man, I love the lines on that car!!

eschneider

Jedi Warrior
holy crap what a beautiful car!!!!!!

it would be an unbelievable PITA, but my first thought when you said aluminum body was that it would look absolutely stunning if the aluminum was polished, instead of painted.....

There is a Morgan guy who did that with his race car (claims he did it to save weight) and it looks beautiful.....

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That is gorgeous. Are you intending on racing it again or just as a runabout? Either way, do it right and have it for a lifetime.
Dave

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
The polished steel Morgan is a tribute to the metal workers art. I had seen it done on hotrods also. Way way above my humble abilities. Probably could not do something that on the aluminum body of my car. It is very soft, leaning on the fender will dent it; I have taken out some of the dents beating on it with my fist. I will probably autocross it again, even cones will damage the fender, but it is a race car. The diff ratio is around 5 to 1, its a real ride going through the gears. When I first bought it in 69 I used to drive it on the street, it has a Montana title, don't think I will again though. It is less than 29" to the top of the fender to many SUV's and cell phone yakkers. I have thought of removing the body from the chassis and placing it on custom tube frame. Kind of my version of the Westfield 11. If the car has any value as a vintage racer that kind of destroys that. I am pretty sure the chassis is from a Cooper.

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Lovely styling. Neat car for sure - great project - thanks for posting the pictures.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
That is a neat looking car... And you still have to bring it up to Calgary sometime to show it off up here /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif In July is our Brit/euro Show and in August is our Vintage Racing Weekend... There, now you know /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Well... At least when you finish it, in the meantime you're welcome up here anyway...

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Looking at coming up this year in the TR4 only about 600 miles. The last few years we have been at the ECAIP in Victoria, the same weekend. The date for the Calgary show has been changed this year, got tired of bad weather in Sept. from what I understand. Got the BCF decal on the windshield, that and the Montana plate should be easy to find.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Bad weather for that show you said... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

2004 was actually half decent

2005 you ask?
42090627_4f42abb918.jpg

50 cars did at least show up...

So how about 2006? The date of the show was almost as bad, so one week later for a rain date...
250873032_89055e1c1d.jpg

early morning frost
251310985_22f5250709.jpg

it did turn out to be a nice day though, finally... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Great body on that car. I love the lines of it, dents and all. I hope you show some pics once you have it done.