• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Meeting a pair of 20 y.o.'s restoring a Spridget

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Got a chance this morning to get send a hood and 2 fenders from Bugsy, to two brothers in their 20's from Ft. Wayne who are in the process of restoring a Spridget. Car came from FL and they are in the middle of a rotisserie job with the Spridget. They've rebuilt the engine already and are heavily into bodywork with lots of new panel being welded in. Didn't get many details on their car and hopefully the parts will be put to good use. $ from sale of parts will go towards getting my leaky Clutch and Brake Masters resleeved. Also will solve the issue of where are those dirt marks coming from all over the kitchen tile and on the carpet on the basement steps. My wife doesn't have a clue where they are coming from and I won't confess it's coming every time my heels hit the carpet in Bugsy.

The interesting part I found was here are 2 guys, early 20's, restoring a car that was built many years before they were even born. Got to chat about Spridgets with someone other than us O.F's who appreciates these fun, fun cars and the daily mental exercises in problem solving needed to keep these cars going. Something refreshing. Guys if youy subscribe to this list we want to hear more about your project.

lbcfan

Jedi Trainee
Jim-

What's frustrating is having to replace one piece of carpet and having to buy a whole set. The sellers should include the driver's side carpet with every master cylinder rebuild kit.

Michael

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Very cool about the young guys! - always encouraging to see.

My carpet came from Stock Interiors and I suspect they would make you one piece.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
JP,

Mine came from Pep Boys for a roll big enough to do 3 Spridgets for $9.95. Bugsy does belong to the We Tight Club and I've already got the patterns in the old carpet.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm 38, where do I fit in? :smile:
I never would have considered a Bugeye or any British car until I sat in one. After that, I set out on a quest for one, and had my project within a year.
I went from a 1969 Chevelle and other muscle cars to the Bugeye. One heck of a contrast!

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I don't consider myself 'young'..but if the car being made before my birthday is the qualification..then I'm a youngster. I'm 8 yrs 'newer' than my Sprite!

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well we O.F's are all glad to have younger blood to carry on the tradition and keeping these cars alive. Bugsy my '68 is the same year as the first time I got a ride in a Sprite from my buddy who received one as a H.S. Graduation present. A lot of legendary fun our first year at the University of Cincinnati cruising in his Sprite and generally raising heck. Welcome one and all.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
My '66 is from the year that I got my learners permit so it is about appropriate.
BillM

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My 59 is from the year I met my wife. married the next year. We been married how long you say. LOL

MichiganTed

I've got to chime in on this. You see I'm a Ford guy. I'm a product development engineer designing motors for FoMoCo. And then I see this 65 AH Sprite on the side of the road last month. She's one year older than me and I'm having a blast wrenching on her. I'm still in strip down mode, removing, labeling, and boxes up bits. Plan to have the engine running soon to access the transmission.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Ted
You will get sick when you see the antique guts of the engine but they are tough and take a lot of abuse.
Bill

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
Jim_Gruber said:
Got a chance this morning to get send a hood and 2 fenders from Bugsy, to two brothers in their 20's from Ft. Wayne who are in the process of restoring a Spridget. Car came from FL and they are in the middle of a rotisserie job with the Spridget. They've rebuilt the engine already and are heavily into bodywork with lots of new panel being welded in. Didn't get many details on their car and hopefully the parts will be put to good use. $ from sale of parts will go towards getting my leaky Clutch and Brake Masters resleeved. Also will solve the issue of where are those dirt marks coming from all over the kitchen tile and on the carpet on the basement steps. My wife doesn't have a clue where they are coming from and I won't confess it's coming every time my heels hit the carpet in Bugsy.

The interesting part I found was here are 2 guys, early 20's, restoring a car that was built many years before they were even born. Got to chat about Spridgets with someone other than us O.F's who appreciates these fun, fun cars and the daily mental exercises in problem solving needed to keep these cars going. Something refreshing. Guys if youy subscribe to this list we want to hear more about your project.

I'm only 24! I remember seeing one when I was a kid and fell in love with how it looked (I only remembered the name because of the pop)...found one an craigslist about 8 months ago and convinced my wife to let me buy it...I think she regrets it.