• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC MGC GT: Worth restoring?

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just picked up a new car, same old story the guy stopped driving it 30 years ago with the intention of restoring it and by the time he let it go it has deteriorated to this condition.

They started to do some work, cut out a floor pan, rocker panels, and threw away the original fenders. Other than that everything is there.

This is a 1969 with the three speed automatic. Anyone know how many automatics were made?

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Jack_Long

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I don't know the number of automatics made but there weren't very many MGC's built, period, so if it is not too rotten structurally its well worth saving. I think the floors might be your biggest challenge since they were specific to the C because of the torsion bar mounts; as far as I know the sills and outer panels (except hood)are the same as the B.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I have a '69 MGC GT w/automatic....249 I believe were built that year....

....if the floors are shot you'd better check the torsion bar mounting points because they're probably bad also....brakes are different than MGB & expensive to redo (2 boosters!).....Exterior body & sill areas are basically the same as any MGB GT except for hwere the fron suspension mounts to inner fenders.

Shinsen774

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Check page 32 of the March 2008 Classic Motorsports magazine. It made the list of cars to get now....values expected to rise.

RickB

Yoda
Also this place:
MG Motorsport

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]We stock these at GBP 55.00 each side. They have the correct pressings.[/QUOTE]

Their shipping to the US is reasonable, and you can count on them fitting correctly.

Contact Doug at: mail@mgmotorsport.com

RickB

Yoda
BTW - looks alot like my MGC. Except mines the 4 speed manual with OD & mine needs front & back glass replaced (parts I already have).

Keep track of the radiator seal piece that fits above the rad.
They seem to get away from us somehow...

Steve_S

Yoda
It's going to cost far more to restore it than the car will be worth when completed. However you will end up with a fantastic touring coupe. Therefore if you plan to sell the car for a profit then forget about it, but if you plan to keep it then yes, it's worth the restoration.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif100%....its gotta be a personal decision based on what you want to do with the car....me, I parted one out that was in about the same shape a few years ago....it kept a few MGC GT's on the road & even brought one back that was totalled when I sent the front inner structure to the guys out at Moss!!

Moonie527

Freshman Member
That's almost rust free fr an Iowa car! Seriously though, at least there doesn't seem to be a bunch of hidden DPO work. I've been looking for a project for almost a year now, mostly I find roadsters in horrible shape for lots of money. I do agree that if you are trying to make money find a better start, but if it's a keeper go for it.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd say from the pic that if you can do most of the work yourself it's a keeper. If not send it my way and I'll keep it and do all the body work needed. As long as the cross members are not invaded by rust, you should be good to go.

RickB

Yoda
Where are the brake servos?
I've heard of them being removed, and the brakes will "work" that way, though with all the weight up front I would certainly want to reinstall good ones.

Having driven an MGCGT in Alaska and here in the Seattle area I have to say it's the closest I've come to the joy of driving my Midget in a larger car. The thing really gets to that smooth low flying feeling above 110 MPH too. Handling at high speed was very sweet. (good tires and brakes of course)
Plenty of power on the street as well.
Especially if you intend to drive it, then it's definitely worth keeping & restoring.
Also I can't see the future value going down, only up.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I jusr rebuilt a couple of servo's for one of my MGC's - not for the timid or alone...that thing'll shoot all the way across the garage when opened if you don't have a good grip on it (i.e., a friend!)

OP
Tullamore

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I pulled the car out of storage this weekend and after cleaning everything up the car started right up. I really don't have a motivation to go any further on it right now so I am probably going to put it up for sale.

The car has 32K miles and the last road inspection sticker indicates it was last on the road in 1980.

MTYXKaU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

IMG_0324.jpg

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
She looks well worth saving. There is a pretty dedicated following for these. I'll send a PM over with an idea of where to post in case you haven't already figured that out.

OP
Tullamore

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That would be great, I only had the thought of selling it I haven't made it any further than that. :wink:

Sweet sounding MGC.

Notice the alternator light glowing...and the brake lights on during the parade lap of the parking lot.

These are great road cars...if you are not going to restore, it..someone will!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sounds healthy!Looks like it'd be a worthwhile project
for somebody.

- Doug

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Looks impressive! I remember reading an article about a Primrose '69 C automatic in a magazine as i was just getting into MGs. I've wanted a Primrose GT in some form or another ever since.