• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pertronix - Pros & Cons - Video & Pics

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: Petronix - Pros & Cons

[ QUOTE ]
I've been running a Pertronix in my TR6 going on 9 years now. MY TR8 has had a Crane since the original Lucas unit failed nearly twenty years ago. I have had zero problems with either. To be honest though, the Pertronix sytems seem to gather more negative reviews than positive ones even though I have not personally experienced any.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Swift 6, thats because most of the negative positions heard are based on Chinese Whispers and not that individuals personal experience.---Keoke

Steve_S

Yoda

"there is no electromechanical device that will exceed the reliability of its electronic counter part."

This is assuming the entire system is designed to protect the electronic part. Placing a Petronix module in place of points in a 40-year-old car's electrical system does not guarantee it will last to the end of the block! There are not only possible manufacturing defects, but many other variables that can lead to a fried electronic component.

I feel the Petronix is a good piece of equipment, but a properly maintained stock system is also quite good and offers the advantage of advance warning if anything is amiss in most situations. In the past ten years I have replaced two sets of points as mere preventative maintenance and can only remember adjusting points once or twice in the past few years.

So it costs me about $2 per year to run points as opposed to between $75 and $500 for an electronic ignition that will last an unknown amount of time, usually 5-8 years barring a power issue blowing the thing up!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

I guess you are running one of those old computers too with the air bearing memory drums. P.S. we made no assunptions.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]

I guess you are running one of those old computers too with the air bearing memory drums. P.S. we made no assunptions.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PUNCH CARDS BABY!!!! I don't trust bits I can't see and hold in my hand !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AND I say points. You turn on the key, you open the points with the handle of a screwdriver, you see a spark, you know it is working.

You crazy kids with your new-fangled hall-effect sensors.

How many times have I been stranded with points? Once in 25 years

Was I really stranded? Nope - I rigged up a duct-tape bushing for the plastic one that wore through and grounded out.

And I happen to enjoy tinkering with points as part of the tune-up.... It looks very complicated and impresses the ladies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But seriously.... If you think that a petronix is the magical ignition pill that will make a crappy runner run better.... depending on what is ACTUALLY wrong it might or it might not..... If it is running well with points then it will run well with the petronix.... but when you install it on your car don't expect to fire it up and go peeling down the street thinking to yourself "Holy Crikies this thing really was worth the money !!!!"

But I'm a cheap Scot who loves crotchety mechanical stuff.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif-JS
You know I got a few of them scotish friends and they always comparing the price of progress to that of a bottle of scotch.---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Steve_S

Yoda

I used to love playing with punch cards when I was a kid. I kinda enjoy playing with points, too. Unfortunately they practically never need adjustment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Actually Jim has a good point (pun intended?). Your ignition system should be in perfect working order with the stock parts BEFORE installing Petronix. Putting an electronic ignition into a poorly running car is like putting a band-aid on a flesh wound.

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]

My belief is that you should try to get your car running correctly with points if possible before switching to electronic ignition. If something else is wrong, electronic ignition might not solve it, and it might not work at all.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
I used to love playing with punch cards when I was a kid. I kinda enjoy playing with points, too. Unfortunately they practically never need adjustment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Actually Jim has a good point (pun intended?). Your ignition system should be in perfect working order with the stock parts BEFORE installing Petronix. Putting an electronic ignition into a poorly running car is like putting a band-aid on a flesh wound.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betcha it will stop the bleeding .Still no assumption made.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My belief is that you should try to get your car running correctly with points if possible before switching to electronic ignition. If something else is wrong, electronic ignition might not solve it, and it might not work at all.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

---WTN:

Its that "if Possible" that is the stiff letter in a poor man's pocket book.However, eliminating one problem source positively allows you to locate the others that may be out of sorts.You surely can't do it with a questionable ignition system.---Keoke

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

I know this story is not about an MG but you might find it interesting,for some reason? A few years back I had a 1984 Jeep CJ7 that had electronic ingition. I used to do research on ancient Indian ruins in the west and that took me in areas that was sometimes 70 to 80 miles from civilization. While out about 60 miles one time the electronic ignition took a dive and there I was with a broke Jeep, a cell phone that didn't work, and miles from nowhere. Fortunally a fellow came by later that day and towed me to his place where I got the Jeep fixed by using an old junk distributer with points. From that point on, a rebuilt distributor, WITH POINTS, was put in and I drove it for another 8 years. I always carried a spare set of points and condenser with me, but never had to use them. Set up properly, points will last a very long time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif PJ

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

I've been racing with the Pertronix for about 4 years...no problems.

The Crane unit seems to be good too, but more expensive and with more bits.

Two comments: If the Pertronix unit is installed, it's *very* easy to allow the red lead wire to brush against the points cam (and eventually rubbing off the insulation). Watch the routing of this wire.

Second: I set mine up contrary to the installation setup (to keep things simple). In my car the coil is *always* powered through the ballast resistor (even when cranking). Technically, this means it gets a weaker spark during cranking, but my race car starts fine. Running the ballast resistor 100% *may* also act as an electrical shock absorber, reducing any voltage spike, and protecting the Pertronix unit better.

I still bring along an old points distributor, just in case (it's the mechanical engineeer in me, I guess)....haven't needed it though.

Bret

Yoda

I’d agree that the Pertronix isn’t going to fix a sick engine in most cases.

However in my case as I mentioned in my previous post I was running the stock 45DE4 CEI (Electronic Ignition) I was having some misfires at high RPMs. Did everything I could think of to address the issue and as I slowly knocked the unusual suspects off the hit list I began to suspect the dizzy was the problem. So after going over everything else I pulled the dizzy to inspect it – but with an EI dizzy about the only thing you can do is check for slop and if the vacuum advance is working properly. Other than that you either need to replace the dizzy with another expensive unit and/or replace the mysterious CEI module at about ~ $300 itself.

Frustrated – I started researching options. Reading about the Pertronix kit I decided to give it a shot considering it was a mere $100 bucks and the other options prices seemed prohibitive especially considering I was guessing at what the problem was.

Results? As stated I’ve been running the Pertronix for almost 8 years now without any problems at all and the timing has remained rock steady. Revs to redline without any problem and honestly sounds as if it could keep going. Something not possible before.

IMHO the Pertronix is well worth the money. Just make sure you know exactly what Dizzy you have before you order.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

[ QUOTE ]
The Crane unit seems to be good too, but more expensive and with more bits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I've found the Petronix to be the more expensive (& I get deep discounts from Moss!) - the Crane works fine with my Lucas Sports Coil...the Petronix really wants its own coil.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

I havea Crane XR700 in my B. The POs had it installed. It seems to work well for me. It worked well with the Lucas Sports Coil too, before corrosion of the coil's contacts caught up with me. Now I have a nice yellow Accel coil in there. Still working good.

I've been thinking about swapping out for a dual spark ignition system, like the Pertronix Second Strike system. However, that idea is on hold for a while, because I want to get other things squared away first.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

I think this is one of those "you'll have to decide which you prefer" topics....each of us has our favorite for whatever reasons....kinda like, I like Mikuni carbs but don't like Webers.

Steve_S

Yoda

You don't have to use the Pertronix coil, but it is a very high quality unit and not just a gimmick. Pertronix units require a coil resistance of at LEAST 1.5 ohms. Lucas Sports coils are within the specified range of a Pertronix module and offer the same overall voltage of 40,000v. Lucas Sports coils are perfectly suited to a Pertronix and are one way to retain the illusion of originality in an MG (even though sports coils aren't completely original!).

It is indeed personal preference, but I still strongly suggest getting all systems in a vehicle's electrical system running perfectly BEFORE changing components. Putting an electronic ignition into a poorly running system can cover up other problems and give the illusion of a magic cure. This situation may cause damage to the electronic ignition or to other components in the automobile. Make sure the proper voltage is supplied to the EI at all times (and all RPMS) to avoid damage to the circuits, and if your EI does not automatically shut down then be sure there is not a continual feed of power to the unit after the vehicle is shut down.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Yep Steve, "The Pertronix Wants its Own Coil"--More Chinese Whispers.---Keoke

LLAngus

Jedi Knight

I have a Crane and love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bret

Yoda

The Coil issue brings up an important issue. If your vehicle has a ballast resistor and you select a performance 3.0ohm coil without bypassing the resistor you could be inducing problems. Likewise if you require a 3.0ohm coil (no ballast resistor) you will have problems if you install a 1.5ohm coil. But I don’t recall reading anything about the Pertronix requiring it’s coil only that it should follow the guidelines above. I.e. 3.0ohm no ballast resistor, 1.5ohm for ballast resistor setups only.

The Pertronix kit doesn’t really mention this but it only makes sense that a point’s setup might be more forgiving to intermittent voltage spikes & transients than the solid state electronic ignition setup. I wonder if this situation might be the cause of some of the reported Pertronix kit’s problems & failures.

Seems to me that the failures of this type of circuit design could likewise be caused by improper installation (not reading the directions), poor grounding, spark plug gaping as well as circuits neglected and/or ravaged by time.

I think most of us will agree that there is no magic bullet fix-all for a dilapidated & rundown vehicle.