• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Modification Revelation

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Had an interesting moment at a gig I was doing last Saturday. I was enjoying playing my old 1977 Fender Musicmaster bass (old student model instrument and a great rock-n-roll bass) when it hit me. It was pretty rough when I bought it, and I did major overhaul work to get it playable again. Repainted (black, same as original), new tuners, new pickup, new wiring, new pickguard (pearl, not same as original). This is a great bass to play, and I've used it on stage and in the studio for years. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Even though I still call it a 77 Musicmaster, it has more new and changed bits than original, and I wouldn't want it to be original--didn't work as well or sound as good. The little light suddenly went on in my feeble little brain. I've been struggling with the notion of updating the Bugeye--the usual thoughts of a 1275 and the like. I made the connection that it would be much the same as the work I did on the bass (though exponentially more expensive).

I'm feeling better about planning out and doing the upgrade work on the car now, drifting from my original thoughts of a completely stock car. Nothing radical, but more stock-looking power is necessary up here in the mountains. It's making more sense to me. Once again, music makes a contribution.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And Drew, plan to warm it over so you get about 80HP or so.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Planning on building a good, strong street motor, with y'alls help. Reliability is key, but adequate power is also important. Of course, compared to my tired 948, most anything would be quicker. I'm curious how many of the original 43 odd horses have escaped in the last 40+ years.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh maybe 10 unless it is all fresh.

zimmy

Jedi Knight
its really hard to go all stock...once you change something youve already blown it, and then it begins...wheels, radio,aluminum head, etc...haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh my goodness Alum head. Sounds like a plan zimmy.

Country flag
I had a warmed over 1275 for a few years, but then I got used to it and it didn't seem as warm. So... I added a supercharger. Now I'm used to it in its current state of tune and I'm planning on revisions to the motor and adding more boost. Or... finding a bugeye project and swapping the drive train over to it. My point (as others have stated) is that it is hard to stop searching for more improvemennts in power/handling.

But, you may be able to rebuild the 948 and have enough pep to keep you happy for years to come.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
IMHO, Letting it breath is the most bang with minimal appearance changes.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
My vote is definitely for Mods. I don't see how anyone can say "No thanks, I think I would like to keep my car in the mediocre condition in which it originally came". It makes no sense to me. If I had a Ferrari and there was a part that would make it just a smidge better or faster, whadder you waiting for?!? Cases in point:
Hennesey Viper
RUF Porsche
Lingenfelter Vette
Saleen Mustang (or Shelby for that matter)

I rest my case.

To me it makes about as much sense as driving an econo-box...if you want a car like everyone else could have, get a Camry.

JACK

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Of course, I also drive an econbox (2003 Hyundai Accent, great cheap car for lugging stuff around and driving in the snow). My performance benchmark is pretty simple, I'm not a high speed sort. When I had the TR4 I was surprised at how peppy it felt. Made it up the big hills around here in 4th no problem. Not too fast (maybe 55 since the overdrive was not working) but plenty fun. I'd like to get that feel from the Tunebug. Don't expect those power levels, but the TR4 is close to 1000 pounds heavier, so shouldn't need to hit quite the same numbers to still have fun. No plans for a radio, and I like the stock discs with the funny little hubcaps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heck, I don't even really feel that the Hyundai is slow, even with the auto (yes, I know, wife can't shift). If it wasn't for the mountains here, I'd just spruce up the 948 and call it good. It just wasn't built for my area, though. And if I'm going to rebuild an engine, might as well do a 1275.

Now I just have to start saving up a performance fund and keeping an eye out for an engine/transmission.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Heck, I don't even really feel that the Hyundai is slow, even with the auto (yes, I know, wife can't shift).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you have to drop a tuned V-10 into every car you own, but rock-stock? I don't get it.

On the other hand,

My Dad always told me "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?" Of course as a high-schooler it was more like "How fast can I afford to go?" Funny, but nothing has really changed!

JACK

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Don't forget to stop too. Before I even thought of a 1275 I would get front disks on it for the hills you have.
Bill

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fully stock does give an appreciation of what the car was like to drive new. In the right conditions, that is an enjoyable experience. I'm more interested in the experience than I am in going as fast as I can. Basically, to me, slow is okay to a point, as long as I'm having fun. A very different thing to different people, I think.

As far as the Hyundai goes, it is a simple car that has continued to exceed my (very low, I admit) expectations. Bought it new and cheap, and it does all I need it to do for a daily driver. Cruises fine at 80mph, accelerates well enough to not be unsafe, holds 65-70 up the big canyon drive here (I-80 through Parley's Canyon). Fits into my multi-vehicle strategy. Bike for speed, LBC for fun, Hyundai for get-to-work-get-to-gigs-cheaply.

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
don't bother rebuilding the stocker, just get the 1275 and be done with it.

Definitely agree that disk brakes up front should also be on the list...

GreenHornet

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]

My Dad always told me "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?" Of course as a high-schooler it was more like "How fast can I afford to go?" Funny, but nothing has really changed!

JACK

[/ QUOTE ]
Mine used to say "there is no replacement for displacement" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif