• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Indicator light modification with LED

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well I have plucked up the courage and have removed the last of the electric harness from under the dash on my BJ7. One thing that I did notice was that the new harness came with a bulb holder for the indicator light that was more in keeping with a headlamp or the speedo ie. it would not fit the indicator light unit.

Two years ago I was dabbling with putting LEDs into the instrumentation due to the definite lack of brightness and amongst the various LEDs I aquired for the purpose, I had bought some LEDs with a BA9 configuration and also a BA9 bulb holder- these are negative earth bits of equipment so need to be isolated from the car to make it viable. These bits were spare and I have just finished experimenting with a setup that would appear to work.

The indicator light unit is of a green plastic and so is isolated from the car. The BA9 bulb holder is a single contact unit so I made that the earth, and then bonded the negative wire to the body of the bulb holder and incorporated the bulb holder into a neoprene tube - it fits snugly into the indicator holder - job almost done. I bench tested the set up and it works so now I just have to incorporate it into the harness wiring and we are away.

:cheers:

Bob

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
'fraid not, my old gal is original electric spec hence the need for isolation for LEDs, but now an update, I have got my hands on a plastic double contact BA9 bulb holder - even better. Working on a device to jam it into the rear of the flasher warning light unit - neoprene tube and insulation tape seems to work well. Also thinking about making a rubber grommet up to suit.

Bob

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Just ordered a full suite of globes for my BJ8 from SuperBrightleds.com as per the article on the BCF homepage. I'm looking forward to the extra light - particularly the parkers and tail lights. They didn't seem to have the E10 globes so I followed the link to the site Roger listed to order the dash lights... unfortunately the postage for 5 globes was $38.50. doh!

I managed to find a local supplier though and have ordered the dash and high beam globes - the old indicators I can live with.

I also ordered this
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-auxiliary-light-kit--round-set/1358/3113/

I'm planning on seeing if I can set up a reversing light - partly to be seen, but more so I can see where the **** I'm going when backing up. I'm thinking I'll mount it on the bottom of the licence plate (I have the rally overriders fitted rather than the full bumper). If I can work it out I'll make a switch on the other side of the gear leaver from the overdrive switch. Otherwise I'll just mount a dash switch.
You actually get two of the lights, but I'm splitting the set with my dad.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm planning on seeing if I can set up a reversing light - partly to be seen, but more so I can see where the **** I'm going when backing up. I'm thinking I'll mount it on the bottom of the licence plate (I have the rally overriders fitted rather than the full bumper). If I can work it out I'll make a switch on the other side of the gear leaver from the overdrive switch. Otherwise I'll just mount a dash switch.
You actually get two of the lights, but I'm splitting the set with my dad.

Have you considered a license plate frame that has super bright white led's built into it. Here's a link to a company that sells them.

https://www.vleds.com/lpf/high-power-18w-led-back-up-light-license-plate-frame-chrome.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpj8WtQ6sCI

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
LOL is there anything you cant get in the USA?

Seems to me that those plate lights might work rather well to disrupt red-light (traffic light) cameras???

Not sure they'll fit our licence plate shape though...

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Why waste your time with trying to get more light, just put in a backup camera? They now sell them with wireless monitors.

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I have my car back on the road now - after diff replacement and retrim. I swapped all the light bulbs out for the LEDs recommended in the article on the Articles page. Everything seemed ok until I did a last minute check everything was working before driving, and I found that ALL indicator lights (left and right) flashed when I switched the indicators on... :confuse: I tried switching the leads around on the flasher but after looking at the wiring diagram it seemed like I had it the right way around. However, when I removed the bulbs from the dash indicator lights the flashers worked normally, and then later went back to all flashing??? Whats going on?

I'm not quite sure how that can happen? I have fitted the electronic flashed recommended. Does this just replace the old flashed or does it need different wiring? I notice in the picture in the article that the old flasher is still fitted next to the new - is there a reason for this? I'm assuming its to do with earthing or not at some point in the system?

For the time being I switched back to the standard bulbs etc.

(Rather happy with the extra brightness of the parkers and tail/brake lights though!!)

Mert

I experienced the same problem when converting to LEDs on my BN7. Go to www.classicautoleds.com The site explains the different type of flashers that work with LEDs. Negative ground cars can use an electronic or electromechanical flasher. The types are listed on the website. You only need one flasher.

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Mert

The site suggests that I have the right flasher, but what is wrong? I have negative earth, and am using the superbrightleds.com FL3 unit.

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Wow

Just connected up the indicator head to the electric system in the car for a trial, what a difference the new led indicator bulb makes, it is just like a mini traffic light, I can see it as plain as day in broad daylight with the sun shining into the garage.

Bob

jpat67bj8

Freshman Member
I have had the same problem. Leds work fine as long as I don't put bulbs in the dash flashers. Have you solved this problem. I have checked wiring "many" times and all is correct.

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
I havent re-visited the flashers as yet. Figured the direction lights are pretty clear anyway - its the parkers and brake/tail lights I'm really pleased to have replaced.

jpat67bj8

Freshman Member
Finally solved the problem with all front and rear flashing at the same time, like 4 way flashers. I had used the correct flasher as recommended by Superbright and still had the problem. I have added one ballast resister to each side connected to the turn signals in the trunk. Problem solved. All works great and very bright.