• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A turn indicator bulbs

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would like to replace the 1156 bulbs with something brighter that will hopefully not change my flasher.
I drive almost always in daylight with lights on and they are barely noticable.
I saw 2356? mentioned and leds but not sure what the latest easy upgrade is.
Thanks
Tom

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you go LED you will need to change flasher relay to a modern one. In the uk we use this one it works with any bulb/led at a good flash rate.
This is a great site for leds too

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you go LED you will need to change flasher relay to a modern one. In the uk we use this one it works with any bulb/led at a good flash rate.
This is a great site for leds too

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks HR for link.
Do you run red leds for the rear turn indicators or brake lights?
Thinking of trying Halogen but it may be same price and more durable to just go led.
Thanks again,
Tom

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
2356 appears to be an obsolete number, but I found a list that gave the 3156 as an equivalent. The 3156 is used in a lot of modern cars. It has the same filament as an 1156 but a different base. Not really an option.

If you want more brightness, probably an LED is the way to go. You just need an electronic flasher instead of the electrothermal ones normally used.

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
To be honest I haven’t made many light changes H4 headlights and the new flasher relay to speed up the flash rate.
there is a man on the tr register forum that makes the rear lights running and brake. > LED replacement bulbs for rear lamps <

Check out my previous link and look for the equivalent bulb led for tail brake light led

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
To be honest I haven’t made many light changes H4 headlights and the new flasher relay to speed up the flash rate.
there is a man on the tr register forum that makes the rear lights running and brake. > LED replacement bulbs for rear lamps <

Check out my previous link and look for the equivalent bulb led for tail brake light led
Thanks,I had checked out the link.Prices seem .about 1/2 of other USA supliiers.Only doing indicators now.
If I read right shipping would be free but not sure how longRoyalmail to US takes.
Tom

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
2356 appears to be an obsolete number, but I found a list that gave the 3156 as an equivalent. The 3156 is used in a lot of modern cars. It has the same filament as an 1156 but a different base. Not really an option.

If you want more brightness, probably an LED is the way to go. You just need an electronic flasher instead of the electrothermal ones normally used.
Thanks,I saw 2357 for the 1157 and figured there was a 2356.Halogens seem some saying more fragile than incadesent.
Moss has leds1156 but $27 each seems high.They did have usefull info including warning of putting white lite in red lense.
I may check out my local napa and se what they have.
Tom

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I put some Auxito red LEDs in my Healey. Much better, but I needed to replace the flasher. The LED bulb base is the standard 1157 base

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I recommend LiteZupp for LED lights bulbs. They have excellent bulbs and the correct Flasher for the LED bulbs. I put them on my TR3 and it made a BIG difference. Here is the url to their site:
Bob

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Has anybody switched their tr3 front turn indicator bulbs to amber?
I got my litezupp order and the lights are much better but the clear lense and white leds front turn signals are still hard to see in bright sunlight conditions.
Does a tr4 or other car use amber bee hive lenses?
Thanks
Tom

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
checked moss.looks like 560-275 is what I want,healeybn8 or spitfire.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Tom

RGK

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The 250 turn lenses, red circle, are amber.

P1020093 Lights.jpg

OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for replys.
RGK ,looks like a screw held lense for the 250,nice looking car btw,but cant tell from pic.
Hamish suggestion for amber bulbs in the orig. clear bee hive may be an option.It would still look stock until the lights were on and the parking lights are low amber with bright amber indicator.
Napa has led amber 1157 two pack for 22 in stock so I may try some tomorrow.
Thanks
Tom

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I would like to replace the 1156 bulbs with something brighter that will hopefully not change my flasher.
I drive almost always in daylight with lights on and they are barely noticable.
I saw 2356? mentioned and leds but not sure what the latest easy upgrade is.
Thanks
Tom
You can use LED bulbs with the original flasher by running a power-rated resistor in parallel to ground. Very easy to make them hidden by epoxying a small magnet to them (one on each side), hide them below the horns, and using the correct color braided wire/bullets. I forget the resistance needed to trigger the flasher (I had to iterate a couple of times) but you can PM me if it’s the route you want to take... Jim

Last edited:
OP
T

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You can use LED bulbs with the original flasher by running a power-rated resistor in parallel to ground. Very easy to make them hidden by epoxying a small magnet to them (one on each side), hide them below the horns, and using the correct color braided wire/bullets. I forget the resistance needed to trigger the flasher (I had to iterate a couple of times) but you can PM me if it’s the route you want to take... Jim
Thanks Jim.I already switched to electronic flasher from litzupp which works well.Nice on and off time and the standard dash indicator works well also.
It is small with no mount included.I think I can tuck it into a shell of an old lucas flasher with only the base sticking out.
The wiring is custom so originality is not much concern,but I think I can improve on the velcro strap screwed to the flasher mount hole that im using now.
Tom

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Ha! I like the idea of the white side/amber turns, though. Will check litesup. On my wiring , I converted to a powerlite alternator. British Wiring ginned up a harness for that setup, and I’m using the same Lucas Voltage regulator, but with a fuse inside. So at first glance, everything looks original. Well, except the Weber carbs with AN-stainless fuel lines!