• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3a horn/turn indicator control head

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I have a problem with the control head on my steering wheel. I spins in circles, the turn indicator switch won't return and the horn switch doesn't work. I can't afford a brand new one so I want to pull it and see if there is some thing that can be repaired. Has any one got any experience with it. The factor parts manual shows the internal parts but the big three don't offer anything but the whole part.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think the fact that it is spinning with the wheel means that your stator tube may be broken. This is the straight tube that runs from the control head all the way through the steering box, and the wires from the control head run through it.

Mark Macy at Macy's Garage makes and sells replacement tubes, not as expensive as a new control head.

With the control head spinning you may find you have a problem with the wiring now, as it has been twisting. If it is a problem, not much you can do about except replace the wiring.

Randy

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Make sure the the olive and nut are tight at the end of the steering box!

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Wow apbos that is incredible info. This site is the best as well as the guys that post on it. Also thanks to the Aussies I think that I'll drink a Fosters just for them!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR4nut said:
If it is a problem, not much you can do about except replace the wiring.
Fortunately, the wiring is available separately. Got mine @ TRF, but the others likely have it too.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Supposedly the wiring for the control head from British Wiring fit the stator tube better then the one from TRF. Easier to slide in.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
martx-5 said:
Supposedly the wiring for the control head from British Wiring fit the stator tube better then the one from TRF. Easier to slide in.
NOW you tell me!
But the one from TRF went in easily enough after applying some of this
2c2d63e4-023f-40a4-af91-3fb3a211acbf_300.jpg

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I tried to fix my old control head, so if you need any parts I have them. I will have to look in the cracks of the floor to find some. (I bought a new one from TRF)
P.S. I do have a box from two heads all is yours if you want to try to repair yours.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I would think that you would make a tape head. Put the end of a piece of string in with the end if your wires an tightly tape the whole thing together doubling the string over at some point. Then drop the string through the tube and pull the wire through with the string. If needed you can still use the wire soap just make sure that you put the string through first.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Eric, I just did my harness, a TRF product. I used wire instead of string, at Randalls suggestion. I clamped one end of the wire in the vice and pulled it through using wire pulling lubricant I got at Lowe's. Worked like a champ. Make sure that the bullet ends of the wire come out at the slotted of the stator tube.

Good Luck, Tinkerman

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Gavin (newmexTR) bought the control head wiring harness from British Wiring and when we replaced it along with a new stator tube from Macy's, it slid right down the stator tube with very little fanfare...no lube, no pull-it-through string.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tinkerman said:
Make sure that the bullet ends of the wire come out at the slotted of the stator tube.
I think you mean that the other way around. The bullets go in at the slotted end, come out the smooth end.

BTW, I was installing into an original tube that had been left open for over 30 years. It was kind of grotty inside, even after I put some effort into cleaning the crud & rust out.

Too bone-headed to use the tube from the wrecked 3A, I guess. It's also an original, but has pretty much always had wires inside so stayed cleaner.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Yep, I meant the other way around, :frown: After all of your help Randall I did it the wrong way! AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH
Any way I know how to fix it! Glad the mistake was caught now, rather than after I installed the stator. Can't believe I did that.

Tinkerman