• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turn Signals

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Had my trafficator redone by Curt Arndt, works great. Of course now I have a problem with my turn signals. Work fine with lights off, but when I turn the lights on, no front turn signals, but rears work. Have read the wiring diagram until I am about blind, but no easy solution of green going with green, etc. Wire colors out of trafficator harness do not match those coming out of the main wiring harness. Have green with white and two green with red. Also the brown wire, but that takes care of the horns which work fine. Wires from main harness are green with yellow, green with blue and solid green and two brown wires for the horns. I have tried every combo I can come up with, but as soon as I turn on the lights, front turn signals stop working. Help!
Thanks,
Mike

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just had a look at a wiring diagram, and it shows a blue/green for left and a yellow green for right comming off the indicator switch,
These go to a terminal block where they split front to rear and chnge colour to green/red left and green/white right.
Looking at the wiring diagram if the rears work than so should the fronts
Only thing i can think of is the possibility of a poor earth up front and they are earthing through the lights when they are turned off, but then the lights would also flash when they are turned off.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Mezy,
Thanks for getting back on this. I'll look into the poor grounding possibility as have had that issue before on other LBC's. Was at
the AHCA Southeastern show this weekend at Hilton Head, SC and asked a couple of the guys there and they all scratched their
heads on this one too !
Thanks,
Mike

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Mike, I have just re-read your original post, and had another look at a wiring diagram. being a brit and using different terminology for different things, I am asuming what you call a traficator is what we call the indicator stalk on the steering column,

BJ8Wiring1.jpg

If you look at this diagram there are three wires on the switch, you say you have green/white and two green/reds comming off the switch.
the green/white should go to the green/yellow in the main harness. one of the green/reds should go to the green/blue in the harness,
The other green/red should go to the solid green in the harness, this is the feed from the flasher relay, you wil need to take the steering column cowl off to see which of the green/red wires goes to the centre contact of the switch, this is the one that should go to the green in the harness.
One thing you could try is taking a wire from the green/white on the switch straight to the right front indicator, and then try from the green/red to the left front indicator and see how they work then.

The only question i have do you have different lighting arrangement on the back of the car to a UK version.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Mezy,
Above wiring diagram is for a BJ8 with separate turn signal lights where a BN2 ( 100M) has turn signal function with rear lights and brake
lights. Same on front, running lights are also the turn signals. As to different configuration UK versus US, don't think so for a BN2.
Thanks
Mike

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have found a diagram that shows the brake/indicator light combination,
wiring bn2.PNG

is this correct for your car mike

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If this is correct then you should have three wires going into the your front right light,
green/white
red
black.

front left light should be
green/red
red
black.

If this is correct do you have twin fillament bulbs up front like a stop and tail bulb.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
how many contacts have you in the front bulb holders,
If two contacts with a single contact bulb in there will give cause your problem. you need a twin fillament bulb

Lights off it will connect with the flasher contact and flash the bulb,
Lights on it will have non flashing twelve volts through the side light connector and not flash

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Mezy,
You may have figured it out ! I will check the actual bulb and see what I have. I'll get back on this and let you know.
Thanks,
Mike

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
OK mike, But this is what i meant by a combination light on the rear where one light does two jobs, never have these on brit cars,

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Mezy,
Finally got around to checking the bulb on the front parking/turn signal lights. I do have twin filament bulbs. So got into the
wire connections from the main harness to the trafficator wiring come down the steering column. I have two green wires
coming from the main harness which connect to green with brown wire from trafficator. Then two brown with black from
main harness that connect to one brown with black from trafficator ( horns which work perfectly). Then green with yellow from
main harness connected to green with red from trafficator. And finally green and blue main harness to green and white trafficator.
Actually have turn signals working now with engine running, not just with ignition on. But, front ones do not work with lights on.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Can you tell me what sort of set up you have with the rear lights, are side and stop lamp in one unit.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Yes, they are just like front lights. Combo turn signal, rear running lights and brake lights

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, we are in a muckin fuddle.
Try this.
Disconnect the red wire going to both of the front lights.
Try the indicators with running lights off.
If they work switch lights on see if they still works.

mezy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have another question.
Have these lights worked in the past. Or is this an on going restoration.
Are you using the bullet connectors.
There are two types of twin connectors.
One type is like two separates
The other type is like a four way.
I have a feeling that somehow the side lights and indicators are connected together somewhere.

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Mezy and Bill,
I'll check into a couple of your ideas this weekend. Got the Healey put up right now as Tropical Storm Nicole been dumping tons
of rain and big winds over us all day and into tomorrow. Healey is safe !
Thanks
Mike