• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Loss of power to wipers ad turn signals?

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Due to a need to clean behind the instrument panel I have lost the wipers and turn signals. As I reassembled the car following a paint job I tested each component (including the turn signals) to make sure they were working and all was fine. After cleaning some soda from behind the instruments, with my clumsy shaky hands, suddenly neither the wipers nor signals work. I looked for a loose wire but didn't see one. Is there a spot that I can check that might be common to the two?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Are you sure the corner lamps don't flash when you turn on the turn signals? Does the fuel gauge still work?

If it is just the wipers and the indicator for the turn signals (and possibly the fuel gauge isn't accurate), then I would suspect that you've knocked loose the ground wire from the panel. There is a tie point with a screw on the back, which is supposed to have a wire running from it through the harness out to the control box

But if the corner lamps and fuel gauge don't work, then I'd look at the wires around the ignition switch. There should be a separate white wire from the switch that runs through the harness out to the fuse block. With the key on, it supplies power to the main fuse, which in turn supplies the wiper motor, turn signals, fuel gauge (brake lights and heater).

In fact, since it is much easier to get to, I would probably start by checking the voltages at that fuse, with the key and wiper switch on. Then I'd check over at the wiper motor (which again is a lot easier to get to). If nothing else, that will give you more information about what the problem might be under the dash.

OP
Crankshaft

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the input. I did have a problem which included the fuel gauge however that was cured with a new fuse. But since then I still don't have wipers or signals. The corner lights do not flash. I'll check the voltage at the fuse today as well as try to find the ground lug under the dash.
Thanks again.

OP
Crankshaft

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have 12v at fuse & wiper motor. As stated fuel gauge works.

ps. Last year I altered the brake switch so they don't go through the ign sw so they also are ok

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The corner lights do not flash.
I have 12v at fuse & wiper motor. As stated fuel gauge works.
Then I'm going to guess that the two problems are not directly related. I would just start troubleshooting each circuit and see where that leads. The turn flasher should be getting power directly from the fuse, and the output from the flasher should be hot all the time with the turn switch off (and the key on of course). You could try disconnecting the center wire at the flasher, as it might be that a short at the indicator holder would keep it from flashing.

The line from the flasher to the turn switch does run behind the dash, but it's just a length of wire (inside the harness) and that section of harness is way up in front of the heater, out of harm's way. But if you find power at the output of the flasher, then the next place I'd check would be the junction behind the LH horn, where that wire joins the wire that runs through the steering column to the turn switch.

The dash switch grounds the #1 terminal on the wiper motor to start the motor running. You could try grounding that terminal directly to see if the motor starts (key on of course). If it does, then the wiper problem has to be in that wire to the switch, the switch itself, or the ground for the switch.

OP
Crankshaft

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Randall, you are one fine young man. Had power going into the flasher unit but no combination had any power coming out. Went to flaps and got a Tridon EL-13 flasher and the signals miraculously came to life. This also (according to an old thread) will prepare me for led bulbs some day soon.
I'm inclined to think the wiper problem is going to be a switch, since it has been temeprmental in times past. I'll know for sure tomorrow.
I really don't know what I'd do without BCF

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It's possible I am mistaken, but I don't think an EL 13 is going to work properly with LED bulbs. It needs a minimum current draw of about 2 amps (one incandescent bulb) for proper operation. Unless you add a load resistor of course.

But, I'm glad you seem to be on the way to solving the problems!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
OP
Crankshaft

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, I see 12v from terminal 1 on wiper motor with the key on and switch off. With key on and wiper switch on I have continuity to ground. My layman guess is that the problem might be in the motor. I immediately suspect baking soda for all my ills since that is what was used to strip the car for paint, and it went everywhere. Unless I'm directed elsewhere, I'll pursue the motor and hope for the best.

As long as Rain-x is still on the market I can get by. It seems to work better than any antique wiper I've ever used.

Thanks again,

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, I see 12v from terminal 1 on wiper motor with the key on and switch off. With key on and wiper switch on I have continuity to ground.
What happens at terminal 2 with the switch on? If it stays at 12v then I agree, problem inside the motor. But if it drops way down, there is a bad connection somewhere between there and the fuse block.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Work over a towel or something when you pull the motor apart. I don't know offhand if the later ones were the same, but the early ones have lots of little bits of unobtanium that like to go flying. It's pretty simple otherwise, though, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding the trouble.