• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turn Signals - Not working / Troubleshooting

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I'm in the process of wiring my BE Bonnet on Bugsy my '68 with a quick disconnect so bonnet can be removed as needed. Got headlights working but when I went to try to get turn signals going thingsd aren't working. Crap. I tried flashers, they work fine at the rear. They don't work at the front. Try turn signals, no turn signals at the rear, hmmm.

Get out the VOM. Check wiring back at the bullet plug before quick disconnects and it is showing like maybe .5volt as lamps try to flash. Now since I had the radio console moved out of the way last week to replace the choke cable, I'm thinking I pulled something loose where the turn signals feed from the Emergency Flasher circuit. Someone tell me my logic is correct here. Radio Console is a PITA to pull out and get behind.

walshja

Jedi Warrior
I periodically have problems with my flashers, and clicking the hazard lights on and off a few times solves the problem.

I must have dirty connections in my switch, and clicking it a few times must clean the contacts maybe?

this might narrow down where your problem is

good luck, joe

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
That switch comes apart and can be cleaned. OR perhaps some contact cleaner in there will help. Everything runs through the flashers.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Pull the console and find that bad connection. You know you are prolonging the job :wink: I know it is no fun to pull that console out as I have done my 71 many times. It is the only way to fix it right. Get some of that Dielectric grease and put on the bullet connectors. See if you got a good hot to the flasher unit first and then you will know it might be in the switch connection. There is also a wad of connectors just under the steering wheel on that side going to the steering column switches that might be the culprit.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had something similar happen on my 74. I had the radio console loose and bumped it hard. Tried using the turn signals and only one side would work. Discovered the plug into the hazard switch had been knocked off kilter. If checking that doesn't work, then it might be a grounding issue. Where do you have the ground wires for those front lights connected?

dklawson

Yoda
I agree that the hazard switch may be to blame. I just went through this on our project Spitfire. Cleaning the switch contacts restored most functions on our car. Changing to generic electronic flashers (EL12) from the bimetallic type corrected our remaining problems (mismatched bulb types).

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Didn't have time to look at things tonight. Grounds are fine they all tie into a common ground going from Quick Disconnect to Headlights and Turn Signals. Since Headlights work I know hte ground is good. Since flashers work, not in the front however but that may be a conenction issue I haven't resolved and turn signals do not work in the rear, I'm pretty certain I must have knocked something loose in the console when I had it pulled out to change the choke cable. Probaly the weeknd before I have time to dig into it. Thnaks