• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

media blasting report

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Just wanted to give a progress report on my BJ7 restoration and show some pictures of the plastic media blasting on the body panels and chassis. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. No panel warping or overblasting that you might get with sand blasting. Also the plastic media does not leave any residue (a problem with walnut shells which can leave an oily residue). There were a few areas that had thick seam sealer or left over adhesives that did not get competely removed but 99% is down to the bare metal.
Cheers,
John
https://www.loftusdesign.net/media_blasting.html

[ 11-21-2003: Message edited by: John Loftus ]</p>

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
WOW I'm impressed John. You have a nice car there. No rust? Your car looks better after the media blasting than mine did after primer. It deserves the quality restoration I know you'll give it. Are you doing all the work yourself?
PS, I thought walnut shells were just used on electical items such as generator armatures.

patriot.gif
smile.gif

[ 11-21-2003: Message edited by: Johnny ]</p>

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Johnny,

There was a small patch of rust under the gas tank and the sill extensions behind the rear fenders needed to be rebuilt. The fender doglegs in that area also were cut out and replaced. Otherwise it was rust free which I attribute to being a Southern Californian car.

I pulled the car apart and had a very talented italian panel beater do all the metal work on the body. There was 'lots a bondo' that needed to be removed and metal shinking and fabrication that I just don't know how to do well.

The engine is being done by a pro but I plan to do the rest of the rebuilding and paint work (I've repainted a good number of cars in the past).

Cheers,
John

Richard Dickinson

Jedi Trainee
Did you treat the bare metal with anything to prevent rusting before you prime it? I guess you can get away with leaving it bare for a while in California. In Arkansas I think it would start rusting after a few days. The media blasting did look good though.

Richard

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Richard,

Yes, I used Jasco Prep and Primer which is a water-thin green liquid that contains phosphoric acid. I used a spray bottle to apply along with a scotchbrite type pad for all the big areas. Also used a rag to spread it evenly. It prepares the metal surfaces for paint and can be left for a long time while doing bodywork, welding, etc. without any rust forming. There used to be a similar metal prep product by Dupont but I couldn't find it anywhere and the Jasco can be found at Ace hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

There is more info and a picture of what it looks like here:
https://www.jasco-help.com/products/prod_mg.htm

Cheers,
John

[ 05-03-2004: Message edited by: John Loftus ]</p>

Richard Dickinson

Jedi Trainee
John,

Jasco Metal Prep sounds exactly like what I need. I have read a lot stuff about preping and priming bare metal, but most of it assumes that priming and painting are going to be done shortly after striping. In my case, welding and body work may string out over weeks or months.

Thanks
Richard

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NapoleonV:
John-

What will you be using for undercoating?
<hr></blockquote>

Undercoating? I'll assume you mean the primer under the top paint. I'm using an epoxy primer called DP40 by PPG.
The thick tarlike "undercoating" that goes under some cars was not used by the factory for Austin Healeys and is not recommended. The chassis gets painted the same color and finish as the outer panels.

Cheers,
John

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
Hi John,

This is way down the list of things my car needs to have done, so just curious for now - Is your panel beater in the OC area, and would he do just a single item? My boot lid has the typical bulge seen on many Hundreds, thanks to the design of the prop rod, I've been told. It would be nice to get that into shape and fitted properly before even thinking about a paint job.

Sharon
BN1

OP
John Loftus

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Sharon,

Yes, he is in Laguna Hills and he does small jobs all the time. He is usually in the shop on Saturday mornings too if that is a better time for you to go by.

Eurotech Metalcraft
Antonio Brudaglio
23291 Peralta, Unit 4
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
949 472-8710

Cheers,
John

healeygal

Jedi Warrior
John,

Thanks for the info - happy to hear he would take on a small job. Maybe I'll head out there one Saturday morning -I'd like to hear his assessment of my boot lid, plus if I plan the route just right - up Pacific Coast Hiway, thru Laguna Beach then inland, that would make a nice Saturday morning ride!

Sharon
BN1