• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looks like prices are on the way up again

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I didn't see it cross the block last night but looks like a nice car 98Gs :eagerness::eagerness:

Thats a a whole lotta Canadian Pesos !!!!!!!!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
There's almost a formula for these high-end Barrett-Jackson Healeys, probably developed by Kurt Tanner. Take a Phase II BJ8, do a full resto and paint it in Golden Metallic Beige or California Sage and they seem to do very well. This one, done by Healey Lane, uses Ice Green Metallic, which was the Special Test Car color.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I always said a color can make or break a car! Once your senses get past the paint pigment.... This particular car is no different then any other well built Healey. Wow almost 100k

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I watched it go across the block. The price did surprise me, and of course made the family happy knowing we have a Healey in the garage. One of my daughters is taking a liking to it, so was happy seeing what "some" are worth.
It would be interesting to have seen it in person. As opposed to the Mecum car of a week ago I wonder if its condition and authenticity warranted the price.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Well, the color combo sure did not look authentic! Never seen a factory Big Healey in that combination. How many points can be deducted at a concourse?

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Well, the color combo sure did not look authentic! Never seen a factory Big Healey in that combination. How many points can be deducted at a concourse?

If the judging were conducted at the airport (at a concourse), the deduction would be the same as in a concours conducted anywhere else. I think the standard deduction is 50 points (out of 1000) for a color never originally used. So the basic idea is to knock it out of contention for Gold-level certification. Staring at 950 points after that 50-point deduction, there's no way for it to finish in the Gold range of 950-1000.

Q: How many points can be deducted at a concourse?
A: All of them.

I'll be here all week folks! Tell your friends, and don't forget to tip the wait staff.

No, but seriously, that color combo is a hit with the auction-goers. It's virtually a standard auction car combo. It used to be all about "Resale Red," but buyers are more sophisticated now (or maybe just a little harder to impress). That Aston Martin Green - more or less - suits big Healeys very well, IMO.

John Wilson sold a big Healey for $100k last year at B-J. And one sale does not a trend make.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Silly me.... And I always thought the corvette "Top flight" judging where held at Chicago Midway airport "higher level concourse" :excitement:Maybe I will copy that trendy new color combo and ask another 50k on eBay..lol

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Silly me.... And I always thought the corvette "Top flight" judging where held at Chicago Midway airport "higher level concourse" :excitement:Maybe I will copy that trendy new color combo and ask another 50k on eBay..lol

Actually, we hold Flight judging all over the country.
Ironically, one last week WAS at an airport... Sun N Fun in Lakeland, Florida. However, the cars were in hangars and the swap meet was on the tarmac. Nothing in the concourse. ;)

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Really? Well, I now feel somewhat vindicated, at least our Good editor Reid now knows these events are indeed held in "proximity" of the "concourse" See, I told you so Reid! Lol.... :playful:

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Just had a great idea for a event:

"Concours on the Concourse" :devilgrin:

Now, is it "rally" or "rallye"? Discuss.
. Great idea Rick, maybe you can be the MC and do the "Color" / "Colour" at the "concourse" / Concours event... Sponsored by Concoors light!

Country flag
I was happy when the ice blue 65 went across the stage at $72k+ fees. Older resto but still pretty nice. Hopefully mine will turn out just just as good.
Marv

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Now, is it "rally" or "rallye"? Discuss.

It's rally. "Rallye" is the French spelling, and if the event is held outside of France, there is no reason to use the French spelling. Unless you're French, in which case you use the French spelling of everything.

For extra credit: Concours - as in concours d'elegance - is also French, but we use it outside of France because the English translation, "beauty contest," sounds so pedestrian and summons visions of something else entirely.

If a concours judging is held in an airport, it could indeed be a Concourse Concours.

I'm really glad we had this little talk.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This tricarb for $30k got a lot of discussion on the mail list: https://russoandsteele.com/vehicle-...urrent_index=377&auction_pk=162&page=featured

5626cb7c06f14.jpg

5629439bd9f22.jpg

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Yup, on the mail list it reminded me of the old, "Find What's Wrong with this Picture" game. The upside down grille took some ingenuity on the part of the builder.
. GULP...If the builder got THAT wrong, I hate to see what other fun surprises the new owner will discover along his merry way, it's not a 62 tricarb... More like a 58 or 59 BN4 side shifter. I like how the right air vent hose has a slit cut open and has the horn opening directed into it.. I guess that's ram sound into the cockpit! A gift that keeps giving! :popworm::popworm::hammer:

Last edited:
Country flag
. GULP...If the builder got THAT wrong, I hate to see what other fun surprises the new owner will discover along his merry way, it's not a 62 tricarb... More like a 58 or 59 BN4 side shifter. I like how the right air vent hose has a slit cut open and has the horn opening directed into it.. I guess that's ram sound into the cockpit! A gift that keeps giving! :popworm::popworm::hammer:
At least the spears are on the correct sides...

That IS the cranked shift lever/side-shift xmsn used on the early MKII tri-carbs; I'm sure that can be documented in any number of Healey Marque books ;)

Not sure what issue of Sports Car Market (or which auction) but I was quite surprised to see a BN6 (100/6 2-seater) go for $85,000.00, including fees. Based on that, my own BN6 must be worth at least $8500.00, doubling my initial investment...