• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I don't like the looks of this

DarwinT

I made a video in order to compare the sound of my '71 MG Midget with straight pipes and with a Harley muffler. What I saw bothered me more than what I heard.....

The car has good compression - I don't remember exactly what as, but it was pretty high in all cylinders and all about the same. I put a vacuum gauge on it this morning - at idle it was about 18 inches of mercury or whatever it's called - steady needle at all speeds. It had been idling a LOT before this was taken - I timed the car and adjusted the idle speed. I have not changed the fuel mixture screw though.

But I don't like the look of this smoke. I never noticed it while driving the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2X-MDO9tKo

What do you think?

Morris

Yoda
My complete guess is that when you push the accelerator, your air/fuel mix is going temporarily rich and thus making smoke. This is a good thing. Well... maybe not for the environment :devilgrin: but it means your car is working the way it should.

OP
DarwinT

DarwinT

I'm learning a lot about my little Midget:

The whining in first gear is normal

The noisy fuel pump is normal

And hopefully, the smoke is normal.

Thanks.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I may have a Harley Muffler available that is brand new for postage. This is the larger 29+" muffler rather than the 21"+ Muffler I have been using. Awaiting word from guy in MI to see if he wants me to forward to him or not. I would need to modify my present exhaust pipe to use this setup and I need to stick with a 21" Harley Muffler plus the array of adapters I used to set it up.

The muffler you've got on there looks like a simple twin tipped resonator. IS that what you are using?.

OP
DarwinT

DarwinT

I'm not sure what a resonator is. It is completely hollow inside - there is NOTHING inside of it.

I bought 2 Harley Road King mufflers through Ebay. I'm waiting for them to arrive. I tried glass packs, but couldn't find one that would fit. I thought about running a pipe to the rear and putting a glass pack across the back of the car, but then i learned about Harley mufflers.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
DarwinT said:
I'm learning a lot about my little Midget:

The whining in first gear is normal

The noisy fuel pump is normal

And hopefully, the smoke is normal.

Thanks.
Don't forget, the oil leaks are normal too. :jester:

Country flag
These guys are yanking your chain! That midget is practically worthless. However, since I'm feeling generous I'll drive up there and dispose of it for you. :wink:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor, want this Harley muffler if J VanDyke doesn't want it? Brand new with baffles. Nice chrome. I can't make it fit on Bugsy without changing exhaust pipe.
Postage to Dayton was $14.89

Country flag
I think I have my muffler sorted out now. Thanks for the thought though.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
DarwinT said:
I'm not sure what a resonator is. It is completely hollow inside - there is NOTHING inside of it.

I bought 2 Harley Road King mufflers through Ebay. I'm waiting for them to arrive.

How long are they?
I'm the guy Jim was holding that one muffler for but it sounds too long. I've currently got Monza ends on there, which is what yours look like to me. It actually sounds pretty good, just a little loud. I should learn to live with it.
You want to part with the second one? If it's shorter and baffled? Well, I'm baffled too I guess.........

Morris

Yoda
Hey Jim,

If no one else wants that muffler, I will take it off your hands. :wink:

Seriously, I have a 1500 with the loud ugly Monza exhaust. It looks like an old school air cooled Volkswagen exhaust. I would very much like to get something a little sleeker and more quiet. I was planning on sourcing something locally. How long is the muffler?

Thanks.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Morris,

Already have one taker. The one you want is around 21" and OD on the muffler is about 4". With adapters it sticks out just under the BE overrider I have on the back. The other new Harley Muffler is 29" and is a big sucker about 6" OD. Lots of muffler in it though. Personally I prefer the looks of this Muffler again 21" and a hair.

Attachments

• 16848.jpg
    16848.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 278

bugimike

Yoda
Jim, you have the same Harley muffler that I have on mine, and I love it! Boy that other one you have sounds like a monster...I have NEVER seen a 6" O.D. Harley muffler!!! The spare one I have is identical to the ones we have mounted, but the mounting set-up is different (it just has a tab welded on with one bolt hole). I guess there are an infinite variety of Harley muffler configurations and sizes!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Mike,

Yours must have baffles in it. Mine had the baffles( screen about 6 " inside the pipe) removed prior to my picking it up. Bugsy sings very well when I put the skinny pedal on the floor, no pops or backfires and I unfortunately have trouble keeping my foot out of it around town it sounds so fabulous.

My neighbor gave me a 21" 45 degree cut, non tapered end, Harley muffler with baffles in place. My better half wants me to quiet Bugsy down as I can't sneak out for coffee on Saturday early without waking her up. I don't like the look nearly as well as the one I currently have on there. I'm told thge Harley shop has some drop in baffles I can add. One of these days I'll cruise up there and see what they might have in stock. Or better yet get lucky and fins another 21" tapered tip Harley Muffler they are throwing out.

BTW, I used 2 adapters to get to the right length and angle. I had issues with U bolts coming loose until I tack welded things in place. No more issue with pipe or muffler loosening up and trying to drop off.

OP
DarwinT

DarwinT

I measured my Harley muffler and I have one of the big 'uns - 29 x 4. It looks really big, I wonder what it's going to look like on the car.

It looks like I'll cut the exhaust pipe in front of the rear axle so it'll be a straight pipe right into the muffler. This will keep it tucked up under the car better. The only problem I can envision is if I jack the car up with the jack under the body instead of the differential.

I figure I won't be able to see it from the driver's seat, but I'll sure hear the difference.

I'll post photos when I get it installed - hopefully in the morning.

OP
DarwinT

DarwinT

I got the Harley muffler installed. I won't get the exhaust flange gasket until Tuesday, so I can't start it to try it out until then.

I'm not sure what I think about it. It looks a bit weird. I also have a red glasspack which I could put on if I decide I don't like this one. It has angled input and output, so I could tuck it up a little higher in the back. I'd just have to add a tailpipe.

With the front of the exhaust loose, the muffler swings left and right. There's an inch or so clearance between the exhaust pipe and the bottom of the car, so it'd be hard to hang a hanger along the length of it. There is 2 3/4" clearance between the axle and the exhaust pipe as it is sitting at rest.

What does everybody think?
harley.jpg

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I think that looks good. I hope to try the same someday.

bugimike

Yoda
You should be able to pull it up a little closer to the axle to raise it a bit! I wouldn't put any hangers along the body. The clamp at the bell housing at the front and the hanger to the muffler at he back should be good!

OP
DarwinT

DarwinT

If I heated up the pipe I could probably bend it, couldn't I? Then I could pull the back of it up.