• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I don't love her anymore

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
purchased a 59 bug eye many years ago from a photo that was junk. spent many a day and night getting body panels replaced with new metal, applied a thin coat of iris blue paint to block out later once car was completed. Had a steel bonnet rebuilt using three bonnets to make with all new beading by a professional body shop.

Purchased a set of Anco chrome wire wheels, found a used original Healey hardtop, purchased a junk early MG to get correct wire wheel rear end/axle then installed later model hogs head. Purchased a Datsun 5spd.

In 2014 I made a New Years Resolution to get front suspension rebuilt and set up for wire wheels found an old MG mechanic. one year later nothing, 2015 I made a news years resolution to get front suspension rebuilt sent parts off now it's Almost July and nothing.

So now I have lost any desire to finish car.

So selling car is a solution, Is there a market for a Bugeye with motor out not painted wired etc.. or should I just part out... or throw all the parts on car just to make car complete.

I see a lot of stuff held together by rust on ebay that people are bidding on, just trying to decide what would be best condition to sell car. I am thinking reinstalling core 1275 motor, ribcage transmission, dash with bad gauges, windshield frame with delambed glass...etcc.. and sell wire wheels, top, and 5 speed seperate.

or sell as is with all parts

lewmac

Absolutely a market for Bugeyes in any condition and many like a project so they can make it their own spec. Just need to find the right buyer. Sounds like you have done the hard work if rust repairs are done. Buyer can chose their own color or continue with fresh paint in Iris Blue, so in my opinion no paint is not and issue.

If body is rust free with tags and clear title, and you have most of the major parts - including the hardtop - I think its at least worth $4,000. I have a pretty much complete "original" for sale for $5,500, but it needs floors replaced. A few year back I bough a reasonable body shell & bonnet (not even a roller) with tags and title for $1400 plus $1200 shipping, and rebuilt it as a Bugeye using a Mk 2 donor.

If not already installed, a wire wheel disc brake setup, including late model rear brakes, rear hubs & axles will get $300 + on eBay, but sounds as if that and the later diff are already installed. If that rear axle was from a '79 or later MG Midget, it's likely a 3.77 and you will get at least $250 for that by itself, if you can be bothered to swap it out. A 3.99 diff will get $150, a standard 4.22 less or keep as a spare.

If the Datsun 5 speed gearbox is ready to bolt on with the kit, its likely another $800-1,000.

A 1275 core depending on condition $250-400, rebuilt and ready to go, $2,000 easy. If you have the rib case box, $100-150.

Certainly easier to move a roller, if you can get it on wheels with steering rack and column installed so it can be maneuvered. Even the standard wheels will do if you have those axles and wheels available.

Chrome wires if still in as new condition at least a $1,000 if you can find a buyer. Vic British has a new set of 4x for $1400.

New eared knockoffs ? If so, add another $150.

Good luck. Shame really, the hard work is done !

Cheers
Lew

Country flag
There is a small market for project cars. Ask Jim Gruber. However, most people will want bits to finish/improve their own. You can sell it fast by letting it go cheap ...$2000 or so. Or you can take a year or so and sell it off in bits and make $5000+ ...just my opinion.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Just another perspective - all of us loose our energy through these projects. Obviously one decision not to be made lightly is whether you even want to wrench a car or just drive it. There are many many projects out there that remain unfinished because people really just want to drive one. that may describe you.

Having said that, it sounds like you might be closer than you think and you may just need to fall in love again.

I have said this before - I have a calendar in my garage with stickers beside it and, every day I work on the car I get to put a sticker on the calendar on the day - sounds childish and it is, but, there is something to it that keeps me working - even 20 minutes a day.

Is there a club you can join or some BCFers who can help you blitz a day or two - having support makes a huge difference.

What I am really saying is that you may actually be closer than you think! hang in there.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
biggest problem is my old job gave me every night free, now I am home for 24 hours then gone like a spring wind for days, weeks sometimes a month at time. This makes it hard. that's why I was going with Modula ideal of letting others do major work and I just bolt on. thanks all for input