• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

It's out! My first engine removal

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got the week off, so it's Spridget time. Pulled my wife's truck out of the garage, and pulled the Midget over so I could work on it. Time for the engine to come out. With a little help from my wife, I wrassled the engine and transmission out. Didn't forget any bolts or wires, but I did need that 3rd hand near the end. Had to wiggle the transmission while raising the hoist. Luckily, my wife was game to come out and work the hoist.

I've got a longer write up on my site: https://www.drooartz.com/index.php?page=36

Now I'm ready to gather up the rest of the MG pieces and pass it on to the next owner so I can focus on getting the Tunebug ready. And of course, there's the engine rebuild to tackle. But for now, I've got an engine and transmissions on the floor, and one less project on the list.

Hooked_up.jpg
Its_out.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's the actual truth, Barry. It looks really good.

So now, Drew: The frogeye engine comes away with a bit less effort, y'know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
That "parts car" looks too good to scrap. I hope you aren't going to.....

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Other than the huge bonnet on the Bugeye, I'm hoping that the Tunebug will be easier to deal with. Getting the engine/transmission angled enough to get it over the front of the MG was a bit of a pain. At least that part is past now, so I can get focused on the Tunebug now.

Yes, the tub is really in pretty good shape. It was painted fairly recently so I can't vouch for all of the metal, but it does look pretty good. I'm hoping it's good enough for someone to want to come get it, since I'm not interested in keeping 2 cars around. I'm hoping to have it gone by spring time--once I get hold of the PO and gather up the other parts, I'll be hunting around for a new home for it.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not going to scrap it, no fears there. Normally, I wouldn't have parted it at all, but I got it for a good price and there aren't very many options out here. Someone will want it for their project--it should find a good home.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know, should not be expensive to ship a tub.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just a bit complicated, that's all. By the time I'm done, it will be missing most of its suspension, so it won't be a roller. I'm thinking of building some sort of dolly for it, but it will need a flatbed probably for transport.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jack, there you go again, putting evil thoughts in my head!
I've got a friend who regularly makes the I-80 run between Mi. and Ca. hauling oil field equipment to Bakersfield. Maybe I should check and see if he's going to have any room available on the flatbed later this year.
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There ya go jeff, fasten a couple of 10 foot 2x8s to the bottom and go for it. Only will weigh about 400 lbs or less.

Even a van line will move it as regular moveing stuff.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
No sense in allowing a friend to 'dead-head' the whole way back! Short side-trip, and some grunt work... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Now that's what we're talking about--y'all find a way to get this across the country for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I should be done stripping what I want from it by the end of January at the latest, then I'm going to want it gone so I can have my garage space back.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think you all missed a valuable point -- his WIFE was helping him. My loves our little car but jsut wouldn't think about helping with an engine pull.

Drew -- I'm impressed !!

George

Nice looking tub Drew, if any of these guys don't come get it, put it Ebay, it will get gone, it's a RWA, personally I think you are building the wrong tub anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just kidding /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Congrats on your first engine pull /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My wife was very kind to help out at the very end. I made sure that she didn't need to get dirty, so that she'll be willing to help again if I get stuck.

I'm not really too worried about getting rid of the tub when I'm done grabbing parts. It's in good enough shape that it will be good for someone. Had I found this before I bought the Tunebug I might very well be rebuilding it myself, but one car at a time is the rule. Now, if I had a bigger garage... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

terriphill

Darth Vader
"I think you all missed a valuable point -- his WIFE was helping him. My loves our little car but jsut wouldn't think about helping with an engine pull."

And what's up with that? I helped my husband with three engine pulls (He's a Supra guy-1986.5, 1987, 1990) and decided I could do this...So I bought my own toy (a 1977 Midget)and had HIM help me! I JUST turned the key today and guess what its actually going to run... I hope to take our maiden voyage tomorrow. (Just heard its supposed to rain and I haven't gotten around to the top yet so it may be a day or two)

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Drove my old Land Cruiser in a downpour once with out any top on. Must have looked like a drowned rat. It was not comfortable at all, big raindrops and stuck in traffic. Folks must have thought I was nuts. Oh well, it was fun. Boy, do I miss that truck...

My wife's not much for getting dirty, but she's a good sport when I really need a hand.