• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First Time Engine/Trans Removal

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
1974 Midget. Been to the WIKI site, very helpful. Transmission mounts are puzzling. I removed the two long vertical bolts from the bottom. The two horizontal bolts on the tunnel from the interior. I removed the shifter handle. Now the puzzle. The shifter housing protrudes above the tunnel. I looked closer and saw the strap that wraps over the trans and attaches to the large "VEE" trans mount. Removed the two horizontal bolts and noticed the small mounts that attach to the large VEE mount. Are you still with me? Anyway, I cannot see how the trans will drop low enough to clear the tunnel when I lift the motor? Do I need to remove the small trans mount and pull the large VEE mount? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shifter housing will go down when you lift the front of the engine to tilt the rear down and slide if forward and up.

You are on your way.

OP
Dadandson

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
That is allot to move! All I have left is radiator and out she comes!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes it is a lot but remember the tranny only is 35 lbs.

An engine hoist like from Harbor Freight along with one of those engine tilter things makes short work of the job.

Oh yea, and that is why we drain the tranny oil. Drive shaft drops out along with the oil when you tilt it.

LOL, don't forget the grounding strap. We all have at one time or another.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Two people are helpful for this task -- one to work the hoist, and one to guide the transmission in/out. I've done it a couple times now, and it was relatively simple.

OP
Dadandson

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
I don't have an "engine tilter things" but I fabricated something close. I am still recovering from shoulder surgery so I have enlisted my 18 year old son and one of his friends to help. We will pull out Sunday morning. It should take a week or so to clean the trans and engine bay and then the new high performance motor will go in. I will keep all you fine folks updated and I am sure there will be more questions. Thanks.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Quite a few of us are experts on this subject(how many times have you done it Jack?). As well you will be after this evolution. Nothing to be afraid of, so enjoy the project with your son and his friend. Whatever problem you have will be easily solved, or you can come here for the resolution, because almost each of us has already screwed up in the manner you might. One of the best parts of your project is the help of your son, nice way to spend a weekend day. Enjoy!!As for myself, after 30 yrs of sprite ownership, been there and done that. It is a joy.

OP
Dadandson

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
I used the WIKI as a checklist. If it is on the WIKI, it got done!

OP
Dadandson

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
What a simple job! Came out in less than 30 minutes, not counting draining and disconnecting stuff. What a filthy mess in my engine compartment. It will take a while to clean. Going to clean the trans as well. Can't attach a greasy mess to a brand new motor!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahh yes, fall car shows not far off, guess I best pull the engine and get the compartment cleaned up. LOL

OP
Dadandson

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
It's not the shows but the rally's! Big one in October. 30 cars. Triumphs, Mini's, MG's, Jags. We spend a weekend touring Arizona's wine country. It's a blast!

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Wine from cactus?

OP
Dadandson

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
Once the elevation reaches 4,500 Ft or so, the climate is great for grapes. I think there is over 100 wineries in AZ. The wine is not so good, I like Canadian whiskey myself, but the drive is fantastic!

OP
Dadandson

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
Installed the new motor yesterday. Went very well. I still have some thing to do but should fire it up Wednesday afternoon. Wish me luck.

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm wishing you luck, and if you are sucessfull then have a celebratory Canadian Whisky ! ahh the ol' delema, "Whisky" in the U.S. or "Rye" in Canada...

OP
Dadandson

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee
Either way Canadian Whiskey is in the future. Wash it down with Mexican beer!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

In th' Steel City that'd be named an "International Boiler Maker"!!

:thumbsup: :cheers:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bah, you don't need luck, you have us, lol.