• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye engine removal with floor jack

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Hi All,
it's awhile since we've talked about it (can't remember the last time, and I couldn't find the subject with a forum search), but does anybody know the procedure for removing a Bugeye engine with a floor jack? I remember Frank Clarici (rest in peace Bro)was adamant about not needing to pull the Bonnet to pull the engine, and had posted the procedure here or at Spritespot at one time. I remember the starter and oil filter needed to be removed, but can't remember the full procedure.
regards
Mark

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Good question, was thinking about this last week. It's here somewhere but I don't have it.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have pulled the engine/trans on my old BE without removing the bonnet, but I used a engine hoist and leveler. Take off the distributor and oil filter. Disconnect the intake manifold from the engine and lay it over on the inside wing (no need to remove cables). Remove the exhaust manifold. Remove the radiator. Short couple the cherry picker/leveler and the engine, remove engine mounts.....the whole lump comes out through the radiator supports!
Maybe you could lift up the engine with the floor jack from the oil pan to clear the steering rack. May require two young strong boys to lift the engine out!!
Cheers
Scott in CA

Country flag
Scott, was the car on jackstands when you did that?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I remove the engine all the time using a floor jack. Oh wait, that's on the VW. Sorry.:sorry:

OP
M

markberry

Jedi Trainee
I have pulled the engine/trans on my old BE without removing the bonnet, but I used a engine hoist and leveler. Take off the distributor and oil filter. Disconnect the intake manifold from the engine and lay it over on the inside wing (no need to remove cables). Remove the exhaust manifold. Remove the radiator. Short couple the cherry picker/leveler and the engine, remove engine mounts.....the whole lump comes out through the radiator supports!
Maybe you could lift up the engine with the floor jack from the oil pan to clear the steering rack. May require two young strong boys to lift the engine out!!
Cheers
Scott in CA

I guess it would be more stable with a cherry picker. jeez I was hoping to get away with not disturbing the exhaust/intake, but I like your idea of laying the whole thing on the inner fender.
thanks
Mark

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes, the front was up on jack stands to make it easier to get the angle necessary to clear the rack.
Scott in CA

nomad

Yoda
I can't quite envision using just a floor jack. You could get the engine disconnected from the trans and move it forward onto the cross member but then you are down to needing a mighty strong back! [Not mine!]

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi All,
it's awhile since we've talked about it (can't remember the last time, and I couldn't find the subject with a forum search), but does anybody know the procedure for removing a Bugeye engine with a floor jack? I remember Frank Clarici (rest in peace Bro)was adamant about not needing to pull the Bonnet to pull the engine, and had posted the procedure here or at Spritespot at one time. I remember the starter and oil filter needed to be removed, but can't remember the full procedure.
regards
Mark

Found it!

I just raise the bonnet on it's stays, disconnect everything and use a floor jack to roll the engine out the front.
Remove the dizzy, oil filter, and carbs from the engine so it clears the radiator supports.
Using a jack, roll it forward, jack it up, slide it onto the steering rack (an old towel will keep any scratches away) Once it's balanced on the rack, roll the jack out front and slide the engine back on the jack. It's out.
A helper to hold the engine balanced on the rack helps but I have done it alone many times.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys

PS It will be 5 yrs on April 11 since we lost Frank.

OP
M

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Found it!

I just raise the bonnet on it's stays, disconnect everything and use a floor jack to roll the engine out the front.
Remove the dizzy, oil filter, and carbs from the engine so it clears the radiator supports.
Using a jack, roll it forward, jack it up, slide it onto the steering rack (an old towel will keep any scratches away) Once it's balanced on the rack, roll the jack out front and slide the engine back on the jack. It's out.
A helper to hold the engine balanced on the rack helps but I have done it alone many times.
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ
The BETTER not BIGGER Healeys

PS It will be 5 yrs on April 11 since we lost Frank.

That's the post I was thinking about! Thanks Rick! I'm going to give it a try this week; My first tranny rebuild is stuck in reverse:sorrow:.
Hard to believe it's been five years. Frank was a great Dude.

nomad

Yoda
Thanks, Rick. The engine will be coming out of my BE shortly so I think I'll give that a try. Frank was an inspiration....

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is this with the transmission still attached?

OP
M

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Is this with the transmission still attached?

that's what I'm assuming. it would be a game changer for me if Frank was talking all this time about separating the tranny first before using this procedure.