• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye engine swap, 948 to 1275

Alfred567

Freshman Member
I restored a 59 Bugeye in 1997 for my wife as a present. Nut and bolt, "Everything". There was absolutely no rust on her and she has never seen a day out of a heated garage since.

Well the power was dropping off and leaks were pissing me off so I pulled the 948 out last week after checking the compression. Really down on all cylinders. Maybe stuck rings, I have not tore it down yet.

Everyone says put a 1275 in her instead of rebuilding the 948 (original motor). Everything about thing about this car is original except the ribcase trans I put in. She still
looks good too.

What are your Opinions???

Thank You

Al

Last edited by a moderator:

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Re: Serious Question

I suggest you put in the 1275 and also a five speed transmission. You won't regret it. I have had both and there is no comparison.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Re: Serious Question

I suggest you put in the 1275 and also a five speed transmission. You won't regret it. I have had both and there is no comparison.

Ditto. I rebuilt my 948 to higher horsepower because I wanted to keep the original 948 and probably have as much power as a stock 1275. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably put a high horsepower 1275 and 5 speed in it and keep the original engine for the next person. It doesn't seem replacing the 948 with a 1275 really makes a difference in resale value and in some instances is a plus.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Alfred--

You'll certainly get more and more authoritative responses over on the Spridget forum.

dklawson

Yoda
As above, you should duplicate your question in the Spridget forum of this board.

I am surprised by the responses you have received so far in favor of the 1275. This particular part of the board is more focused on the large Healeys and more often than not, the owners/contributors here are focused on originality. From your initial post it sounds like you have kept your Bugeye largely original. You may have more fun with a 5 speed attached to a 1275 but it certainly won't be original.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
As above, you should duplicate your question in the Spridget forum of this board.

I am surprised by the responses you have received so far in favor of the 1275. This particular part of the board is more focused on the large Healeys and more often than not, the owners/contributors here are focused on originality. From your initial post it sounds like you have kept your Bugeye largely original. You may have more fun with a 5 speed attached to a 1275 but it certainly won't be original.

Sprite owners don't seem to be as hung up as big Healey owners when it comes to originality. Sure, there are many Bugeye concours owners out there, but most Sprites have a little modification done to them. A 1275 makes a huge difference in drivability and keeping up with modern traffic and swapping a 948 back in is a weekend job with plenty of beer breaks. BTW, I'm a former Sprite concours judge.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
What are your Opinions???

Simple. If you're going to show it in concours and hope to attract a nice $$$ offer for it from a museum, keep the 948. If you're going to actually drive it, go with the 1275.

Both of mine have 1275s. I have the original 948 for one of them strapped to a dolly, and the next owner is welcome to the nasty thing.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Simple. If you're going to show it in concours and hope to attract a nice $$$ offer for it from a museum, keep the 948. If you're going to actually drive it, go with the 1275.

Both of mine have 1275s. I have the original 948 for one of them strapped to a dolly, and the next owner is welcome to the nasty thing.

Now wait a minute, the 948 is a nice little engine that will really rev if lots of money is thrown at it as all kinds of HP Sprites will attest. It's just easier to make more power cheaper with a 1275.

dklawson

Yoda
Sprite owners don't seem to be as hung up as big Healey owners when it comes to originality. Sure, there are many Bugeye concours owners out there, but most Sprites have a little modification done to them.

I understand your point. I would equate that to my current Mini. It's a largely original Mk1 1275 S with parts to take it back to original should a future owner wish to do so. I would NOT have kept the original parts or been concerned about originality if my car were a Mk3 or later non-S Mini. I have not owned a Bugeye but would expect being the first generation, there would be similar incentive to keep the original parts with the car even if they are not used by the current owner.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
DKLawson said "more often than not, the owners/contributors here are focused on originality."

With respect, I think the focus here is on one's tolerance for pain while trying to coax performance and reliability out of original equipment versus more modern design.

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
I put a 1275 and a 5-speed conversion in my Bugeye and would highly recommend them. In addition, you may consider converting to disc brakes and going to a "taller" rear end, both of which I also have. I've kept all the old parts so any future owner could return the car to original easily if they wished.

Griz

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Speaking of the 5-speed conversion, one of my two 1275-engined Bugeyes has a 5-speed. HIGHLY recommended.

The one with a 1275 and a ribcase 4-speed does all right on the freeway, but just. I pass about one car for every 99 that pass me. It's wound up a bit at 65 MPH and happier at 60 MPH.

The one with a 1275 and 5-speed can hold its own with freeway traffic. It can handle a steady 70 MPH without a lot of drama.

Both have 3.9:1 rears.