• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hylomar Sealer

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
For those folks who like Hylomar sealer this may be of interest.

When I went to buy some Permatex/Hylomar HPF from my local NAPA store, they informed me that it was obsolete.

I called Permatex & they told me that Hylomar UK had jacked up their price so much that they dropped the product.

The Hylomar web site shows Hylomar "Advanced Formula", same as the Permatex/Hylomar HPF.
Quote from Hylomar web site:
---------------
"Hylomar Advanced Formula is a solvent free, low viscosity version of the standard Universal Blue. It is ideally suited as a gasket dressing and it will enhance the sealing capabilities of all types of gaskets and can assist with gasket alignment during assembly. It is designed to seal closely fitting flanges against most lubricants and automotive fluids. Like all the Hylomar formulations, the sealant is re-sealable, non-setting and non-hardening which provides excellent resistance to vibration and thermal expansion of parts."

"Solvent free, low viscosity version of Universal Blue."
"Same formulation as the Permatex version "HPF"
-----------------
On comparing prices, the new price from Hylomar distributors is about double what NAPA was/is selling Permatex/Hylomar for.
3 oz tube for $31.50 plus freight from Hylomar
or
6 -1 oz tubes from NAPA for $32

I asked NAPA if there was still any Permatex/Hylomar around. Their distributor had 12 tubes left in stock & would ship overnight. I ordered several.
D

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
Probably more over re-action EU safety considerations. Solvent free is the key wording here. They are trying to stop any product that uses solvents, problem is the substitutes are not as good. We have a 'solvent free' varnished dining table ie varnished with water based varnish. It's ok in very dry weather but when the humidity rises it gets sticky ! Sent the first one back but the substitute is exactly the same.

Same problem with the drive towards lead free solder. Aparently the fumes from the flux needed for the higher temperature tin solders are far more dangerous than the lead, AND tin based solders have an inherant failure mode - they crystallise and grow whiskers that short out. Apparently they are now banned for high criticallity environments and aerospace.

OP
Dave Russell

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Hi Andrew,
You may well be correct. The following note accompanies Hylomar's Aero Grade Sealer. But note that they just substituted one solvent for another. The environmentalists have long considered "chlorinated solvents" to be harmful to the ozone layer. In the end, I don't know if acetone is that much safer.

"NOTE: The new Aerograde Ultra utilizes acetone instead of chlorinated solvents, which results in the product being considered "Flammable" until the product is applied and the acetone has evaporated. Therefore, this material is considered to be a Hazardous Material when shipping."

BTW, many auto manufacturers use water base paints on their new cars.

I also find that the non-chlorinated brake cleaners which use acetone, actually work better than the old formulations.
D

Country flag
After reading this I rushed over to the Napa auto; supply and bought all they had (3 tubes) at $6.00 each. I hope this is not an April fools joke. But the **** stuff stores forever since it never dries it will be nice to have on hand. (poor choice of words since it never comes of the hands)