• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hylomar???

Morris

Yoda
Whadda you guys think about using this incredible substance on my transmission gaskets? What about my lower engine gaskets?

I have a Payen conversion set for the engine, but my tran gaskets seem way too thin. Much thinner than the gaskets I am scraping off.

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Hylomar is used in both locations you mentioned on my race cars. In fact, Bugeye58 is the one who turned me on to the stuff.

Wouldn't worry too much about how thin the trans side cover gasket is. Worst case, the springs will have very slightly more compression against the balls and plungers -- highly doubt it'd even be noticeable even to a seasoned driver of that particular vehicle.

Tim

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hylomar is pretty good stuff IMO. I thin-film gaskets with it and it performs well. I will still use RTV for the V.C. or cam cover gaskets on the "cover" side and Hylomar on the engine side, to be able to reuse the "old" gasket at least once, too. Laquer thinner is about the ONLY thing to dissolve it. It makes a teardown much easier than most other materials.

As to gasket material: If the tranny set is Payen, it's correct... what you're scraping off may be "ho-made" or an aftermarket set? I'd be leery of "thick" gaskets in a tranny as the case tol's are critical to bearing position/location in most instances.

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I like hylomar, but I like to use permatex brush on 3H on areas that have a bit of shear movement. (Rear axle flange for instance) Because it never dries and stays a bit gooey allowing the pieces to slide and stay sealed. Silicone sealer will tear in that situation. I have used 3H to seal transmissions. it works just fine.
The thing I like about hylomar is ...it smells good. Used to have a kinda toy you could buy when I was a kid. You got a straw sorta thing and balled a bit of stuff from a tube that smelled just like hylomar, put it on the end of the straw and could blow through the straw and make a bubble. Usually we ended up chewing on the goop like gum after a while.(which is likely why you don't see it for sale now.) I don't understand the concern over things like this. I turned out O k k k k k and only tw tw tw t w twitch fro fro fro fro from ti ti ti ti time to ti ti ti ti time.
Can't really chew on permatex though.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heh. My confuzzlement was not confined. Whew.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Hylomar was developed by Rolls Royce for sealing on Merlin aircraft engines. I figure if it's good enough for them, it's OK by me.
As to the red "plastic" bubbles. I can still remember the taste! And, they did horrendous things to my sisters hair!
Jeff

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup, Jeff. Rolls had it "sealed up" (just HAD to do it) in patent for years, then Permatex got the okay to sell it as a commercial product. Been paying OUTRAGEOUS prices for it in li'l red/grey boxed tubes until a few years ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I never tried to seal a Porsche engine case with the "red plastic bubble" stuff, so I have no opinion. mehheh.

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
In reference to the merlin engine.(spitfire airplane engine) Late in WWII the brits finally gave Packard the rights to produce the engine here in the states. It took the brits 7 days to build one engine that dispite the use of hylomar leaked coolant and oil like a bucket with a couple o holes in it. Packard could build one in less than eight hours and did not leak(Mustang airplane). hylomar is good but it won't work miracles. I.E. your british engine will still poot out some oil somewhere.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
HEY!!! MINE don't!

<scuttles away to CHECK>