• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Hylomar

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Apparently, some recent litigation resulted in an arrangement whereby the Hylomar name is protected more so than in the past. My local "go to" supplier has all new packaging for a new product, but is no longer selling a blue packaged "Hylomar." The new product package is orange but the description says it's like Hylomar. The clerk says it's the same non-hardening sealant. Dare I use it?

Also, and related, what is the best sealant for the front engine plate? TR4A in my case. I have a buddy who knows a lot, and he really likes some gray colored stuff he says comes in a caulking type gun-tube and is available from the Ford dealerships.

dklawson

Yoda
At one time Permatex was selling Hylomar Blue in the U.S. but that relationship fell apart. To fill the gap, Permatex made their own version of Hylomar and its packaging is marked like you say "Compare to Hylomar Universal Blue". I bought two tubes of it through eBay to use on the Spitfire's engine. I had no problem with the Permatex product and I would use it again.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've used Permatex Ultra Gray on several British engines and they have all remained leak free. It really good stuff, but you must let it cure before final torque.
Rut

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Based on a recommendation of a real mechanic, I've been using it, too.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
KVH. VW and Porsche used a orange colored flange sealant to seal the 2 pieced transmission cases together. Sounds like that might be what you have and wouldn't use it where there is a gasket involved. You might be able to get the real stuff at a local BMW shop. My company sell the real Hylomar and my BMW dealer uses it. That's what I used on my front plate on my TR250 and will use on my TR6 when I get to it. No leaks!!!

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I wish I understood more about the various alternatives. When the Triumph manual says "jointing compound," someone here once said that means Wellseal. I do like that stuff, but a local shop swears that Permatex High Tack is as good as anything. I'm not sure I know of an application where it's not suitable, and I do like that it's easy to remove.

Hylomar, on the other hand is expensive but nearly perfect from my experiences.

But then I've got a buddy who swears that Ford's Motorcraft gasket sealer is better than anything under the sun. Part of the issue is whether the sealant stays pliable and is non-hardening, and suitable for contact with fuel.

It just seems to me that 99% of the time, Permatex High Tack is really quite adequate, even for the figure 8 gaskets below the sleeves.