• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A gasket sealer for the bear plate

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
What type of gasket sealer do people recommend for the bear plate? I was going to use the permatex aviation stuff I got for the rear main, but that seems too thin and seems to take a long time to cure. I have some of the permatex red stuff that is brush on and that seems about correct. The same red stuff in a spray might be best, but I am not sure.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
What is the bear plate? Figured it out from your post re main cap protrusion. Front engine plate. I would use permatex in a tube, soft setting.
Bob

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
url
?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I just ordered a tube of Wellseal from TRF. I plan to use a good bit of it on this build.

Also, I'd like to thank you, Steve, for answering a question I had about the bolts holding the upper suspension forging to the frame...in 2006!

dklawson

Yoda
The Aviation sealer is not supposed to "cure" as such. It will thicken but remain a sticky goo... or at least it is supposed to.

I will be assembling a Spitfire engine soon and therefore, watching this thread for suggestions. In the past I have used Permatex-2B on things like front plates. I have recently bought the Permatex "equivalent" of Hylomar to try on various seals during this rebuild. I have no experience with it yet though.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh thanks Randy that is a nice article and it answered my question about using Indian head on the front plate, plus he talked about the breaking off a rocker stud-- that helped because I am re-taping one right now. What I am finding interesting is the trimming of the front plate gasket. Incidentally, I had to revamp the one that came with the kit because the fit was so poor, and anyways in doing so I started looking closer and seeing how the oil circulates back around on the front cap where the gasket could be in the way and that there is a very large indent in the center of the block that really would not need a gasket. Did you trim your gasket back? The reason I have not trimmed it yet is that sometimes when I get creative I create problems.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
No I didn't trim it - I remember what you are talking about in terms of the indent, the gasket obviously doesn't seal there but my guess is having gasket material there is easier than tracing exactly where the sealing parts of the plate and gasket are located. I'd resist the temptation of trimming around the front main cap - the oil will get down to the sump from there I bet anyway and I don't think you want to risk creating a leak around the aluminum sealing block by cutting the gasket near that location.