• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Get oil pressure gauge fixed or just find another

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
They are fairly common and can usually be found for under 25$ on ebay, just ask the seller to make sure it is in proper working condition. I just got one for 22$ there and it works perfect.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>and it looks identical to the other gauges!</span>

dklawson

Yoda
I second that. Used and operational will cost less than rebuilding. When searching eBay, broaden your search to more than TRs. You'll probably find identical Smiths/Jaeger gauges used on several LBCs. Periodically NOS gauges show up on eBay and as long as the seller hasn't got pipe dreams on their value, these can be great buys.

dklawson

Yoda
Anyone who owns an LBC has a closet, garage, or attic full of parts that they assume someday they'll fix or need. Broken gauges would certainly fit that category. However, I wouldn't think you'd ever consider installing a gauge that has a needle permanently resting on 60 psi.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
When I started re-doing the gauges on my TR3 resto project, my oil pressure gauge was sitting there reading 30 psi. I took it apart and found that the needle mechanism was displaced from where it should have been. I reassembled everything properly, and the needle was then at the zero mark. I blew compressed air (set at 80 psi) into it, and the gauge read real close to that. So maybe the gauge just needs some TLC. It won't hurt to take it apart and see if anything is amiss that is easily correctable.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
My TR3 came with a TR4 press olio gauge. I replaced it and looked at the TR4 gauge sit on the shelf for a decade or so. Finally sold it on eBay for about nothing just to get it a good home. As these gauges are generally trouble-free, long-lived and cheap... used makes sense to me.

G

Re: Get oil pressure gauge fixed or just find anot

Larry, as usual, I will take a different tack. Knowing you and your careful attention to detail, I feel you will be better served by sending your gauge in to a good rebuilder such as Palo Alto (I have great luck with Nisonger myself) and have it done right. How much could it possibly cost, in the big picture of things. Changing out a someone else's used gauge is a real PIA. Get it done right and forget about it. To me, the two most important gauges on your dash are, in order of import, are the oil gauge and the water temp gauge. Just me.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

I've two cars with the dual mechanical OP/temp gauge. I've sent more than a few to Nisonger for refurb over the years, both mine and clients' gauges. Hard for me to trust a "used" unit for what (as Bill pointed out) are the two most crucial instruments. I have a rebuilt/recalibrated one in the "spares" bin now.

dklawson

Yoda

Please don't misinterpret my comments, I do not wish to offend anyone.

Checking an oil pressure gauge is as straightforward as Martx-5 said. I occasionally bench-test/calibrate pressure gauges in my garage. I have an accurate reference gauge mounted in a 'T' to which I connect a regulated compressed air supply and the Smiths/Jaeger gauge I'm working with. With care and the correct tools like this it's not only possible to confirm the proper operation of a pressure gauge, you can recalibrate it. As mentioned above, these gauges are usually trouble free and when something goes wrong it can be fixed as long as the bourdon tube isn't damaged. (I'll admit there have been one or two gauges I've binned because of binding in the pinion gears... but they are the exception).

Opening gauges is a bit different from opening a transmission or rebuilding an engine. To have confidence in your work you need a few tools that aren't normally part of your tool box. However, in a lot of cases, the repairs and recalibration are not beyond the capabilities of those who repair their own LBCs. However, like transmissions, I admit it isn't for everyone.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker

Back "in the day" used car dealers would "fix" low oil pressure problems by taking off the gauge cluster glass and bend the needle to indicate a little higher oil pressure reading.

Buyers only cared how much pressure there was at an idle or driving down the road...I never saw anyone complain that there was too much oil pressure when the engine was shut down...

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee

Being a Concours nut, it would really bother me to see a dash with one gauge that is condition wise completely different from the other five. If you buy used and need to have it restored, the result will be like a grass stained pair of sneakers with your favorite Hart, Shaffner & Marx.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

dklawson

Yoda

When it comes to restoration, concours, and antiques, which is preferred... a pristine restoration (bright and new), or a car in relatively good shape with patina showing its age? This isn't a comment, it really is a question. I've heard both arguments from collectors. I only bring it up here because of Lou's comments about the contrast between reconditioned and used parts.