• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Flame Thrower solid state distributor for my A

ronzet

Jedi Knight
LBC Fans,

I have once again run into a problem with my ignition system on the '57 A... No matter what I do it continues to be a very unreliable component of the A....

I am seriously considering replacing the original distributor with a Flamethrower from Moss. Said to be a 'drop it right in' installation...

Any comments????

I all ears....

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I have used a couple of different types of electronic ignition, but the easiest is the Pertronix. It does install very easily, and for me have been quite reliable.

Before you get it from Moss, you might try giving Jeff a call over at www.advanceddistributors.com. He has done quite a bit of work on members distributors, and I think he sells the kits for less than you can get it from Moss.

I am going to be sending my dist to Jeff for rebuilding and conversion probably in the next couple of months.

Hope this helps.

I've used Jeff for distributor rebuilding, he does amazing work, you won't be disappointed if you choose to go with him. He may enve have a unit to swap out with you, if you're in a hurry, and even if you're not jeff turns around pretty quickly.

I've also installed a Flamethrower in a late model MGB, and the installation was simple enough and it ran fine.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Hap and 1965_MGB,

Thanks for the comments... :thumbsup:

I visited the website recommended and now find myself in a quandry...

Part of me would like to keep the original distributor for <span style="font-weight: bold">purely</span> astetic reasons (the Flamethorwer uses a 70's MGB push on distributor cap vs the original 'PITA' screw in type for the A) ergo sending it out to Advanced Distributor for rebuild and repair ...

The other part says, astetics - ashmetics - order the Flamethrower from Moss today, get it tomorrow and install it tomorrow night.... :wall:

Ah well... If we had any sense we would all be driving Miatas..

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I agree with the rest! Jeff at advanced distributors is the best in my opinion also. He also will give you, (Good) advise on what he feels is the best setup for your car, depending on your driving habits. I had three dizzy s in my car and the engine would never idle just right. I talked to Jeff and with his recommendation I ordered a original point type one from him, set up for my engine. I have a hard time thinking that this engine ever ran this good when it was new. Oh yes, I had Hap rebuild my SUs also. Jeffs dizzy and Haps rebuilt carbs, what a setup!
happy0158.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Paul,

Ya' know... mine has never idled well either...I have rebuilt or re-rebuilt my SUs at lewast three times think

So, OK... three witnesses... I will call Jeff today and see what he can do...

Thanks, Gentlemen....

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Update.. :thankyousign:

I spoke with Jeff at Advanced Distributor.... A very pleasant and, more importantly, very knowledgeable gentleman...

I described the symptoms and, in return, received a verbal nodding of the head from Jeff. His descriptions of additional symptoms helped to explain many of the problems that I have experienced with my car... My poor H4s are probably tired of being blamed for ills caused by another part.. :wink:

I am boxing up my distributor this afternoon and off it goes...

Thanks again, gentlemen, for the apparent good advice... :cheers:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Ron, when you get the dizzy back, let us know the results. I'm sure all would like to know. PJ

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
PJ...

Will do... with all the gory details...

Steve_S

Yoda
The ignition system of your MGA can be made as reliable as anyone else's MGA. You just need to track down the problem! I've never had a lick of trouble from mine, except for twice when the heater valve leaked on the dizzy.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Steve,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The ignition system of your MGA can be made as reliable as anyone else's MGA [/QUOTE]
Good morning. You are completely correct. I have had a willingness to blame the carbs and/or fuel system at the slightest provocation. I am told this is a common troubleshooting error when working with these cars....

I have rebuilt and re-rebuilt the carbs several times. I have a boiled out fuel tank and new fuel pump.

I did not do a full rebuild on the dizzy... just replaced points, condenser, cap, rotor and ignition wires.

This has been an intermittent problem. The A runs great and idles nicely.. then, at random intervals, idles poorly, misses like crazy and then quits.. I fuss with it and it then starts and runs again.... I have COMPLETELY checked the H4s, fuel flow/Pump, and have poured a small amount of gas into the carbs to try to get it running when it has decided to quit, to no avail...

I do not know specifically what is wrong inside the dizzy. There isn't much to it..

What I do know is that I am getting power from the coil terminal to the points and have a new coil. I exchanged the coils between the my '66 B and the A -- the B continued to work with the coil from the A and the A did not work with the coil from the B. I did the same with the rotor, cap, and wires between the two cars and had the same result. I would have swapped the dizzy too but they are not interchangable. I have checked every wire and connector in the ignition circuit and have found no faults. It has a new wiring harness...

I am at a loss to think of a different logical next step in troubleshooting this problem. :wall:

And that, gentlemen, is the long and the short of it.

When I have received and re-installed the dizzy, I will let you know if that was the problem...If not.. I will take solice in the fact that the dizzy needed to be rebuilt anyway... :wink:

Steve_S

Yoda
If you have an electrical problem with the ignition system, then an EI module is the last thing you want to install. It could end up fried like a chicken wing on Independence Day.

You say you poured fuel into the float bowls. Were they not full already? If so then you have a fuel delivery problem. Have you considered taking the car to a reputable mechanic? Sometimes it helps to have a set of experienced eyes check things out.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Steve,

Thanks for the note....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]You say you poured fuel into the float bowls [/QUOTE]

Actually, as part of the troubleshooting, I pour a small amount into the throats of the carbs... the bowls were full and I was using the fuel into the throats as a way to check for fuel flow problems... If the car had started an ran for a few cycles then the problem would have been the carb/fuel flow system.. if not (and it didn't)then move on to the electrical/ignition...

As for the mechanic... once I get it to run reliably, I will be taking it into a shop that is recommended by our club members for fine tuning and overall 'eyeballing'...

Thanks again...