• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Installing a Solid State Fuel Pump

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
So with the fuel pump problems I had last week, I've decided to purchase a facet fuel pump and install it in my car. I'm sure some of you have installed one but how did you do it? Where did you attach it and did you leave the SU in place? I'm still not 100% sure that the pump is the problem but I figured I'd ask now so when I start working on it tomorrow, I'll know what to do.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I replaced the stock pump on my 100/6 with that type pump. You may need a fuel pressure regulator as they have a tendency to overpower the SU floats. Also mount it on rubber mounts of some type as they are LOUD. Otherwise no problems, stock wiring and cobbed hoses. Bob

Jagboy69

Never leave an inoperable fuel pump on the line. Remove it and install your new one in it's place. Bob is right, they are noisy. You can get some rubber footies at Ace hardware to hush it down a bit.

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
Vince - See the article, Backup Fuel Pump in the SU Fuel Pump Articles section of my web sit at: https://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

If the Facet pump is one of the low pressure ones (2.5 - 4 psi) there is no need to use a regulator with it. Additionally, there is no reason that the Facet cannot be mounted in line with the SU pump. Both employ check valves in the inlet and outlet sides, so will pump through each other without any problems (I have had the permanently installed Facet as a backup pump installed in our TD fo close to 10 years with no problems whatsoever.

Mounted on proper sound mounts, the Facet pumps makes no more noise than the SU does.
Cheers,

R

RonMacPherson

mercedes benz uses a rubber mount with studs on each end for 70-early 90 Benzes. Work quite well as an isolator block. Just make sure you bypass the rubber with a ground wire for proper pump operation. Whatever you do don't scrimp on the fuel pressure regulator. Stay away from the 16.95 specials as they are not reliable. Get a good Holley or some such.

dklawson

Yoda
I have a Facet pump on both our GT6 and my Mini. At idle I do find them to be a bit noisier than the SU... probably because they run all the time unlike the SU that will pump slower at idle. Regardless, if it bothers you, you can mount them on isolator plates or using what my British friends call "cotton reel" isolators. These are rubber cylinders with studs sticking out of each end. The Triumph use them as gearbox mounts. They are also used as exhaust hanger mounts on the Mini.

See item CHA615 at bpnorthwest, or GEX7251 at MiniMania.

RickB

Yoda
I put the 2 - 4 psi Facet on my Midget, I couldn't be happier.

Except I got the expensive one, something like $80 - $90.

It is kind of loud, I cut some rubber from old floor bits and mounted them between the bump & the car. Careful to make sure you get a good ground of course. They tell me this one has a filter in the inlet.

pro60sv.jpg

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
This is the one I purchased. 1.5 - 4 psi. I used the upper stock pump bracket stud and drilled another next to it. 1/8" rubber between pump and car body. Angled brass fitting at top and a screw in fuel filter into the pump then both ends connected to fuel system with Fuel injector hose. New ends were soldered on to clip into existing electrical connections. This is quieter than the SU. I blew out all the lines and cleaned the glass filter up under the hood. I beleive that the problem I was having was moisture and dirty lines as once I took the filter out, it was clogged. She runs like a champ and I could not be happier.

FacetPump.jpg