• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Exhaust Note

spooch22

What system has the best sound? Looking for a deep loud sound. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mild steel with a larger bore.--Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

G

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would translate into the Monza system. You'll...be...sorry.

Bill

G

Unless you're under 30. And your eardrums haven't been raised on Led Zeppelin.

Bill

ScottTR6

You know something is wrong when you think twice about driving your six......I'm changing the Monza system this winter.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I installed a monza system last sept and after a while I did get tired of the loud note at around 2800-3000 rpm. Instead of replacing the whole system, I purchased a Cherry bomb muffler, the round type about 18 inches long, I cut out a section 16 inches long on the front pipe along side the transmission, I measured the od of the existing pipe and took the caliphers to Pep boys and surprise it was the right size to slip over the existing pipe, a couple of hours to get it installed and put heat shield fiberglass around the muffler and i am very happy with the sound now

swift6

Yoda
Stainless will lower the tone. I'm a big fan of the Twin Sports system. Low tone, good burble and quiets down when cruising.

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
"Deep&loud" is what the Monza's all about. I have had a Monza on mine for 5 years and I still like it. I'm 38 years old and Led Zeppelin happens to be my favorite band of all time. I can see how some may get tired of the noise of the Monza system, but to me it sounds wonderful. I don't drive the car every day and I don't take any really long trips in it, so for me, it's fine.

Dave

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would translate into the Monza system. You'll...be...sorry.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like that be just what he is lookig for to me. "Deep Loud Sound"---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful
That's one of those, been there done that and came back quickly. The Monza was the one thing I had to correct pretty quickly. My spit was a daily driver at the time and my ears were ringing after the 35 minute drive. It lasted one week and I went back to the stock system. I did love the sound though.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
Dennis

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
A quick question for those who say the Monza system is too loud - which system did you have installed? The single-to-dual or the true dual system? The reason I ask is the true dual system has a second set of resonators in-line that would seem to take the edge off the sound (well that and my car came with a brand-new true dual system still in the box and now I'm wondering if it will be too loud).

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ansas are now back at Moss. I've had 'em on my '76 for around 14 years and love them. They are deep, nice burble, and I don't consider them overly loud like the Monzas, but they are definately louder than stock. Mine's a weekend driver so it works out great - not for a daily driver I feel. Just my two cents. Oh, and I think the diameter of the pipes on the Ansas are much more proportionate. If you go this route, tuck them up tight. First they won't bottom out and second, they look better...no one likes to see all of the coathanger wire holding up the system.

G

I had the true duals Monzas on my 73, first with the stock split manifold and second with headers. I went from painfully loud to unbelieveably painfully loud. Plus, a set of Monzas will last you about 2 years of occasional driving. They rust out very quickly. The concept of the Monzas is very good. They route nicely with a good fit underneath the car, with some finagling. Plus, they look sexy sticking out the back of the car. Too bad someone never came out with a stainless set with a little lower tone.

Bill

D

DougF

I had the Monza on my first 6. I got tired of the truck jokes. I was forced into restoring the car and the exhaust sat around for a few years. Once the car was on the road, the exhaust only lasted for a couple years before it rusted through. A major disappointment.
Since, the Falcon sport exhaust has been a listening pleasure. Good sound and the ss should last a long time. I've had many more compliments and inquiries with this exhaust than the Monza.
Yesterday, while driving home over back country roads, a farmer came running around his house to either a. see what was emitting such a fine exhaust tone; b. save his farm animals from the ravages of a low slung sportscar, or c. check out what he thought was his neighbors new John Deere. I want to think it was a.

D

Deleted member 451

Ah, The joy of a TR3. Nothing sounda as sweet as a TR3 with the resonator replaced with a straight pipe. About 25 dollars total.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Another vote for a Monza system here. I love the way it sounds on my TR4... deep and loud, but not too harsh.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Another vote for a Monza system here. I love the way it sounds on my TR4... deep and loud, but not too harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, it's when you add the other 2 two cylinders that it becomes raucous. As hinted in someone's previous post, it would be interesting to compare the differences of the 1-3-4-2 and the 1-5-3-6-2-4, the addition of split headers and harmonic vibration/exhaust noise.

Or not.

Bill

foxtrapper

Jedi Trainee
I'll agree that a Monza exhaust is loud, but deep? That's not my idea of a deep tone. More like loud and tinny. Much too akin to the ricer sound for my tastes.