• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electric Fuel Pump for Bugeye???

paulsherman

Jedi Trainee
Many discussions on this subject, but I can't find them now. Need a new fuel pump for my 948. I can fabricate a blanking plate. What aftermarket fuel pump should I find? NAPA etc. Should it be mounted in the rear, near the tank. Any other suggestions will help.
Thank you

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
I have an electric one mounted in the rear, where the 1275's had them mounted.

It is a little noisey until he fires up.

Watch the PSI when you get one, it should be around 3 psi.

Patrick

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Try to stay away from the 30-40 dollar square Napa looking ones. They are way LOUD! I am in the midst of yanking mine and going back to mechanical.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
If you mount the Square NAPA ones on rubber standoffs (like a transmission mount for instance) and ground them with a wire then they are not loud enough to notice when the engine is running.
Bill

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
I have it mounted with 1/2" rubber spacers and a neg ground wire to the body. Works fine but the ticking is so loud I cant hear myself think. I've been told that no uncommonn with these. Maybe something else is wrong? I cant take it anymore

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
Maybe Ill try a set of trans mounts. I have two extra ones. I even Layed some real thick rubber undercoating on this thing to shut it up.

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
The cheap jobbies from Autozone work just the same and will last for a long time. I think that they sell a Mr. Gasket pump that is around 3lbs.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Mine is a plunger type pump, very noisy. I've mounted mine on a small section of heavy rugger tubeing and the noise is gone. If I had to replace, it would be with vane type. They are better and quiet. I think NAPA sells them for aout $40.

bugimike

Yoda
At least with the noisy ones you always know when it is working!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
For what it's worth, my experience with installing a fuel pump is here. I suspect that the Facet fuel pumps (and, of course, identical ones that are branded differently) get noisy when there is a fuel bubble in them. Probably pretty easy for that to happen, if you install it as the instructions specify--you have a big loop of fuel line to get over the rear axle, then to the bottom of the pump, and finally another loop from the top of the pump to the rest of the fuel line. This creates plenty of opportunity for bubbles to lodge in the loops, and, if they get large enough, to reach the pump. I've only noticed mine get loud once or twice, and I suspect this was the reason.

As you can see from the pictures, I mounted mine on a couple layers of bicycle inner tube. I don't know how much good that does, for minimizing noise, but I suppose it can't hurt. Finally, I think I might have mounted it a little too high; ideally, you want to keep it low enough so it is always below the fuel level in the tank. This, plus a reasonably large loop at the outlet side, will tend to minimize bubbles in the pump.

G

I had a Carter P-4070 for a while. I really don't know why I did it to begin with. Had an overpressurized system that I had to overregulate to compensate for- truly overkill self defeating engineering at its finest.

Jeez that thing was loud. I ended up chopping up a rubber hockey puck to sound mount the thing. Finally I just got rid of it all and fed my Weber with a stock mechanical pump.

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
sarastro, I love that page, I suspect whomever originally mounted this pump wasnt very close freinds with you. I am going to re-adjust the mounting of the pump tommorow and see i fthe problem clears.