• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electric fuel pump for a bugeye - Questions.

Bugeye_Al

Country flag
I am installing an electric fuel pump on the bugeye and had a couple of basic questions. What is the suggested way to route the power wire? Along with the sending unit wire and back to the fuel pump? Or drilling a hole near the pump somewhere in the trunk area? What guage wire is suggested? Where is best place to tie into wiring harness for power?

Like I said, basic questions. But I would like to see how others have done it.

Thanks!

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mine mounted drivers side under the bonnett. Fuel filter there also. SU fuel pump and wired off the ignition switch.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I came up through the floor in the cave and just ran it to the side and forward. Used duct tape to hold it, it will be under the carpet, think 14 gage wire.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
A fuel pump is a pushing devise and should be mounted above the rear axle. That way it can push the fuel to the motor. 14 gauge wire wouild be fine.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree. Over the rear axle. That's where mine was before unfortunate accident. See attachment.

Attachments

• 294278-DSC00151.JPG
    294278-DSC00151.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 233

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mine as well.

OP
B

Bugeye_Al

Country flag
Thanks for the input guys. Kcbugeye - thanks for the picture - that's about where I was figuring on mounting the pump.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
And just where was the mechanical fuel pump mounted that the electric one replaced......

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
The early A series has a mounting hole on the block, on the manifold side, and a corresponding eccentric on the camshaft, to drive a mechanical AC Sphinx type fuel pump. The 948 and 1098 engines have it, but on the 1275 engine the mounting hole is not drilled. In fact I think the early Spridget may have been one of the last BMC cars so equipped. The Mini, and all other transversely mounted A-series, were equpped with an electric fuel pump from the beginning.

If you have a current Moss catalog, look at the diagram on page 6 of the parts catalog section. On the side of the block under the cam follower cover plates is a sort of triangular area, this is where the hole would be drilled. In later castings it was either dilled and covered with a blanking plate or just vestigially present but not drilled through.

bugimike

Yoda
ncbugeye I think leecreek was questioning the rear-mount front-mount positioning of pump. I get you leecreek! PS: mine is low on pass. side with fuel line across front of engine that way all is routed in cooler air and away from hot exhaust. I've never had any fuel-feed related problems.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
No fuel problems here either, Mike. Switched to a SU electric in '74 when the Big 1098 was installed. Fuel pump has sat on drivers fender since then. Very easy to get to. Same fuel pump in '98 when the 1275 was built and installed. (Note to self: Might want to price a new fuel pump as 32 years is getting a little old)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And last, ane last, and last.

bugimike

Yoda
When I had the SU pump I had it mounted on the radiator bracket just in front of the carbs! It fried itself and now I've had a Facet mounted as mentioned above for over 10 years!

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
As long as the pump (either electric or mechanical) is mounted "low" in relation to the tank it will generally work OK. If it is mounted "high"- as in up at carb level & in the engine compartment then you are asking for trouble during the summer, but low (and preferrably away from the exhaust stuff) will work.
Bill