• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Old Electric Fuel Pump Question

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with old AC electric Fuel pumps, specifically model # EP42.

P1040229.jpg

This is the pump that I removed from my TR3A. The car was not running when I purchased it. The question is this. Should I attempt to refurb/clean/test this pump or simply upgrade to a newer pump?

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looks exactly like the one that was on my motorhome generator, except mine was dirtier
grin.gif

Worked great, until the MTBE in our gasoline turned the diaphragm to silly putty.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, I'd be for finding a replacement. We ain't gonna see "real" petrol any time soon. The electronic SUs are a good "period" replacement if you want to keep a semi-original rig. Otherwise a Facet or Carter low pressure unit work well.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
FWIW, Triumph never fitted electric fuel pumps to any of the sidescreen cars. In fact I believe the only sports cars to have electric fuel pumps are the PI, TR5's and 6's, and this is because you need a high pressure at the injectors.

Your car would have had an AC mechanical fuel pump. When properly restored, they are very reliable and they add the convenience of priming lever and sediment bowl.

Attachments

• 15784.jpg
    15784.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 194

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
:iagree: However, electric fuel pumps often were "recommended fitment" on competition cars, for whatever reason. My Spitfire 4, a virtually textbook example of the original Spitfire Comp. Prep. Manual, still has its Bendix electric fuel pump in the boot as per the Manual's recommendation!

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Indeed! <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Belts and Braces </span></span> for racing!

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Frank,

My car, as I had mentioned in another thread, had been set up for Vintage Racing and that is why it has the electric pump fitted.

The original location for the mechanical pump has a blanking plate installed over it.

Having said that, I do have a good working mechanical pump off my parts car if I wanted to go that way.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

swift6

Yoda
angelfj said:
FWIW, Triumph never fitted electric fuel pumps to any of the sidescreen cars. In fact I believe the only sports cars to have electric fuel pumps are the PI, TR5's and 6's, and this is because you need a high pressure at the injectors.

The FI TR7s and both FI and Carbed TR8s had electric fuel pumps. But you are probably excluding those on purpose. :wink: :jester:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
swift6 said:
The FI TR7s and both FI and Carbed TR8s had electric fuel pumps. But you are probably excluding those on purpose. :wink: :jester:
Likewise the MGA and Stag had electric fuel pumps.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
M_Pied_Lourd said:
Frank,

My car, as I had mentioned in another thread, had been set up for Vintage Racing and that is why it has the electric pump fitted.

The original location for the mechanical pump has a blanking plate installed over it.

Having said that, I do have a good working mechanical pump off my parts car if I wanted to go that way.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

Wouldn't be the worst thing ya could do, y'know.
Those mechanical pumps are like tea pots... they just WORK. :smirk:

swift6

Yoda
TR3driver said:
swift6 said:

Sounded like frank was talking TR's.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
swift6 said:
TR3driver said:
swift6 said:

Well, yes. In fact I was thinking of TR's. But I didn't exclude 7's and 8's on purpose. I wasn't aware that they used PI on those cars.

swift6

Yoda
angelfj said:
swift6 said:
TR3driver said:
swift6 said:

Well, yes. In fact I was thinking of TR's. But I didn't exclude 7's and 8's on purpose. I wasn't aware that they used PI on those cars.

No worries then Frank if you were excluding them, I was only ribbing you about it. There were both Fuel Injected and Carburetted versions of both the TR7 and TR8. It had to do with both trying to further modernize and compete with their contemporaries as well as meet California's increasing emissions standards. More the latter than the former.