• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A door wood

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks John. Will keep that in mind if my whittling doesn't work out. The Herald hasn't been out at all this season anyway. Tom

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thank you. At least one of us has no problem here!(me). We don't often get into woodworking issues here.

If you have to replace the long strips you could laminate them to the bend, an carve out the twist. As i said, a real challenge, aka PITA. I made the stem of a small boat like this with (3/16ths?) strips and epoxy. very stable.

Perhaps I won't buy a Morgan. Tom

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Tom -

i just realized you are working on a post 60000 car - any chance you have earlier doors? For the later cars I'd only expect the smaller wood blocks not the complicated longer piece.

Earlier doors would be squared off at the bottom, if yours are rounded I'd suggest just putting in the smaller backing pieces.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Tom -

i just realized you are working on a post 60000 car - any chance you have earlier doors? For the later cars I'd only expect the smaller wood blocks not the complicated longer piece.

Earlier doors would be squared off at the bottom, if yours are rounded I'd suggest just putting in the smaller backing pieces.
Nope, TS58023L, just before they changed the doors and other things.
Tom

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Perhaps a little clarification would be helpful. I am working on a pre-60,000 Commission car. The top of the door has a wood frame that goes from the front to the rear of the door, a photo albeit of poor quality, is at the beginning of this topic, and another below. It is made from 3 pieces fastened together with 4 long wood screws. It holds the sidescreen brackets and the lift dot fasteners for the tonneau. Post-60,000 cars have two wood pieces at the two top corners of the door and are separate. They are held to the inside of the doors by wood screws, I think there are two on each end. And here is the big difference, unlike the earlier piece these two do not contact the outside on the door so shape is not critical and they are made from simple flat stock. There is a picture on Dan's post above.
Not so with the early ones which contact the inside and some of the outside of the doors. They are not a simple shape as John kindly pointed out, but have both a curve and a twist to them.
My first attempt to saw, plane and sand them to shape was a mediocre success at best. After looking closely at the old one I find no evidence of cutting or scraping the wood to shape so I am now guessing that the originals were steamed into shale. I have now made a wood mold that mirrors the shape of the inside of the piece. If I steam it and clamp it to the mold, the outside should closely follow the shape of the inside and the piece will be of uniform thickness, just like the original. The one thing I have not done is to allow for spring back. I will make a guess with some shims.
mould.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Awesome! I would have chosen steaming, but didn't want to take the time to teach myself. Be sure to take pics for us!

PeterK

Yoda
From a 2010 thread on team.net - Bill Beecher was the guy replicating those door tops for someone. He stated he thought mahogany with ash at the top.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The original pieces that were on /in my doors is mahogany, all the pieces.
Charley

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Mahogany was my guess. It was too dark for ash, and too light (weight) for oak. Of course, Standard being Standard, it's likely they changed the wood type over the production run.

From my boat building studies....Mahogany will be less prone to rotting in a wet environment. Ash will be stronger, but much more prone to dry rot. Oak is perfect, but very difficult to work with and prone to warping if not seasoned well.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Mahogany was my guess. It was too dark for ash, and too light (weight) for oak. Of course, Standard being Standard, it's likely they changed the wood type over the production run.

From my boat building studies....Mahogany will be less prone to rotting in a wet environment. Ash will be stronger, but much more prone to dry rot. Oak is perfect, but very difficult to work with and prone to warping if not seasoned well.

My guess is Philippine Mahogany, not actually a true mahogany as the term was used in the 1950's for a variety of woods. Philippine mahogany was used extensively here and in Britain in boat building in the 1950's and 60's. I have some stored away.
https://www.ohc.net/blog/is-philippine-mahogany-a-true-mahogany

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I made our dining room table out of that stuff about 25 years ago. It's still with us in the same spot in the same house. I still have a couple of pieces floating around.

IMG_0864s.jpg

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Awesome! I would have chosen steaming, but didn't want to take the time to teach myself. Be sure to take pics for us!

Sorry for the delay but about par for me. Here's what I did. I first bandsawed, carved and whittled a form on which to bend the piece. mould cut carved and sanded to shape..jpg
The old piece sits flat on the form.
original piece fits nicely.jpg
I then steamed the new piece cut to shape but still flat. Here is where you should shape the cove on the top edge. I did it after I bent it and it would have been easier when still flay. I used a 1/2 inch radius gouge and the sandpaper. I have lost the pictures of steaming. I did it on the kitchen stove when my wife was out of town. The apparatus consisted of teapot, a length of hose, and a piece of 4 inch PVC pipe which is not ideal but handy. I blocked one end with a cap and stuffed a rag in the other, around the hose. I steamed it for 30 minutes and then clamped it to the form.
steamed and clamped.jpg
If you look closely you will see two tapered shims (shingles) under the middle. I did that to "over bend" allow for "spring back" when I relieved the clamps. It turned out that two shims were not enough and I did the same piece again with two thicknesses of shims, overbending by about 1/2 inch.
new piece conforms to mould.jpg
The new piece conforms to the mold unclamped. I had it clamped for a couple of days and then clamped it up again until I got back to the project.
Here's how it looks. The twist is not apparent in the picture but conforms to the old piece and will be more apparent when two end pieces, which seem to be flat, are screwed on.
twist is there but not evident.jpg
Not a quick process but a little more precise than carving and once you have the mold and have sorted the variables, you could make several in short order. (Not sure but I think you'd need another mold for the other side. Most of the twist on mine seems to be on the back end. I'm only doing one)
Note that steaming time and spring back are somewhat dependent on species. I used "Philippine mahogany".
I'll be away for two weeks so won't be able to tell you if it passes the final test, i.e. fits the door until then.
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Very cool! You make me wish I had gone the steaming route instead of the carving. The beauty of it is you can pop them out easily from now on with little additional effort.