• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Back to TR3 Sidescreens

rusty55

Jedi Hopeful
very nice work. I can only imagine the amount of time spent. They look great!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey ,how rare are these.
There is a set on CL that need some cleaning but look all there

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I can vouch...add $690 to have them professionally redone, $300 DIY rebuild, or about $1200 if you buy remanufactured new.

By the way, does anybody know the purpose of the snap straps? I understand where they go, but can't figure out why you would ever need them. Are they a carry over from the wedge mounts??

And a follow-up...we've been putting some miles on the TR with the top and sidescreens. The good news, it is definitely much warmer in winter! I learned that you cannot open the plastic windows without leaving at least a small scuff from the rubber seal on the forward window (bummer). So, we no longer use the sliding windows!? Also, once enclosed, the cockpit becomes quite loud...as in highway speeds are deafening!

The cool thing about the TR, when you pull up at a light along side a Lambo, you steal all the looks. Fun little car for the price!

John

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
OK

I bothered Jesus, and got some pictures of his do it his self sidescreen rebuild. I hope I don't upset him by posting them, but I had to brag about the fantastic job he did. The workmanship is much better than mine, and he has been hiding his beautiful car from us too!

Muy Fantastico!!

Jesus

Country flag
John, thanks for posting the photos for me.

Really, I did not sew the vinyl. I found a very friendly sail maker who did not charge a fortune for every inch of seam, and more important, who was willing to follow my directions on where to sew.

But if the sidescreens came out good, it was thanks to your detailed instructions posted in this thread that shed light on some critical steps of the process.

Jesus

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well done, gentlemen! Beautiful interiors and great looking cars!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Curious about some sidescreens have the tenax/ lift a dot attached to the door and some do not. Where does that change occur???
I believe the switch from tenax to LTD was at TS5256, when most of the other fasteners changed to LTD as well. Then the LTD snaps on the side curtains were deleted at the same time as the switch to Dzus button mounts instead of the "wedge" mounts. TS28826 according to Piggott & the SPC.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Hey Steve!

After 3 years it's about that time...you need to choose the material for your sidescreens. This morning I blasted both your's and mine, in preparation for painting and covering. Did you want the arms on yours to be silver, grey, or black?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Wow no stopping you any of those colors would be fine. I am going with basic black and can send something down to you or send money for simple black vinyl. I will give an email for details on how you want me to proceed if you want. Or we can just do it here on the forum.

If you are going to get the plastic window for the sewn on side from TRF or if you have a system or sources I do not know about and that fussy channel stuff, I will need to get that to you also. I was glad to trade those old tr 2 seats I have had for 25 years plus for all the work you are going to do on those side curtains.
steve

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh I always thought that little snap kinda pulled stuff in tight or maybe insurance against the whole side screen falling out for some crazy reason or high speed wind opening up the bottom frame on a cold night.
steve

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I just noticed the Photobucket pics on this thread came back...since I posted this afternoon. One of the (unresponded) emails I sent to them stated their new policy would be a marketing disaster for them. Maybe they had a change of heart??

So anyway...

The vinyl for the screens needs to be the canvas backed kind, like is used on the tops. I am pretty sure TRF and Moss source through Robins Tops in California. I ordered directly from Robins last time for my TR3. I can source the black vinyl locally, but it will likely have a slightly different pattern, although black color is usually the same from any source. So just let me know if you want me to order it or have you order and drop ship it.

I am about to re-read this thread to remember where I got the window parts. I seem to remember it was TRF off hand. The fuzzy seal I found locally, but need to see if that upholstery shop is still in business. I do see it frequently on Ebay too.

I can paint the arms whatever color your would like. The VTR site states they were "most often dark mat grey". The TR2 were most commonly body color. If you're going black, I'd say black to match, or grey for originality...whichever you prefer.

I still find it hard to believe we're to this point after 3 years!

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The breakdown looks something like this:

Vinyl from Robbins (1-1/2 yd) - $44.96
Channel from Up supply - $52.15
Windows, dzeus washers from TRF - $135

That didn't take long...these are the items to complete you curtains. I really only have to have the material and front window. You could easily install the channel and sliding window anytime.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Just an update...I've got the parts lined up to rebuild 2 sets of sidescreens. Steve, your Robbins material was delivered this afternoon. Once I get my windscreen sorted out so I can ensure my screen frames set correctly in the car...we'll clear the cobwebs and start this thread up again.

I do have one question for anyone owning the single window, TR2 style sidescreens (i.e. No sliding window). Could you please let me know whether the window material is soft clear plastic, or more like the hard clear plastic used on the rear of the later sliding windows?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The ones I had (long time ago) were a hard plastic, but so thin that it was relatively flexible. I don't know the material, but it was closer to the plastic used on the front of the later curtains. ISTR there is a name for it in Piggott (but don't have mine handy to check).

Mine weren't so clear either, a very definite yellow/brown tint; but that was probably just age. Come to think of it, the hardness might have been age related as well. Sorry that's not much help.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
No, that's a big help...Thanks Randall! If they were soft t begin with, they likely would have cracked as they turned brittle. The first sidescreens I got were that same dark tinted too, so I just assumed they had been tinted by a PO. But now I think you're right. Whatever plastic Standard used seems to turn dark brown with age, as all the old ones I've found are the same tinted color.

Thanks again!

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Steve, I'm getting close to cutting material, and I came across another question for you. My 1960 TR3A screens had these little ruffles, I'm pretty sure they were another form of draft seal:

jYZTrzh.jpg

I am fairly sure they were original, unrestored screens, but ones you sent, and most of the ones I google, do not have the ruffles. Just wondered if you want them or not?