• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1977 VDO clock... can it be opened?

OK. I've removed all of my gauges, and all of them have bezels that twist off... except for the clock. It looks like the bezel is solid in the back. There are 3 screws around the edge of the back of the case, and a soldered pin. Has anyone taken these apart, and know how? It never worked when I got the car, but it looks nice, and I ~could redo the electronics if I can open it without destroying anything. I haven't tried removing the screws yet because I don't know if it just drops a circuit board loose inside the case.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

dklawson

Yoda
I was unaware that British cars ever used VDO gauges.

I am sure the Pelican Parts link above will provide good information. The following may duplicate or echo some (or all) of the information there. The VDO gauges I have opened had the bezels swaged in place. I press the bezel of the gauge down against a piece of old rubber sheet (like a piece of inner tube). The sheet both protects the bezel from scratches and keeps it from slipping on the bench. I use a sharp scribe/pick/awl to get under the bezel where it is wrapped around the case. I gently work that scribe around, lifting the swaged edge. The advantage of using a pick or scribe compared to a small screwdriver is you are less likely to tear the back edge of the bezel.

Eventually you will go all the way around the gauge and be able to remove the bezel and glass.

When it is time to refit the bezel I press the gauge and bezel firmly down against the same old piece of rubber sheet. While pressing down, I use the shank of a round shank screwdriver to push the bezel back in place, sort of rolling it back into place. I go around the gauge a couple of times to make sure it is firmly in place.

You are going to damage any paint on the bezel. Don't worry about that. Mask the gauge glass and the back of the case and re-paint the bezel when you are done.

OP
kennypinkerton
Thanks guys. I would imagine that this one is original to the car. The clock case is stamped 10.76, and my car was built 12/76. They were probably only used in the 77-80 models.

D

Deleted member 8987

I had some experience with VDO clocks at one point in my mis-spent youth.
Came out of a 356C, dead. Cut out the factory clock plug in my Ford, opened the VDO, found the "fuse" in mine was a spring held over and soldered down.
I cleaned it, lubed with sewing machine oil, pulled the spring down and soldered it, and it ran for 10 years until I found an original clock.
I did NOT use a low melting point solder, rather an in-line fuse. Easier to fix.

OP
kennypinkerton
Yeah, I figure either a broken tooth on a gear, or a failed capacitor. I didn't even think there might be an internal fuse.

D

Deleted member 8987

Before you tear too deeply, check for that spring fuse.
Of course, your VDO may have been built under license and different than Ferdinand ordered them.
Just make sure to add an inline.

And in 1977 it might be a quartz unit, not an escapement type. Won't know until you open it.

OP
kennypinkerton
It says quartz on the dial.