• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Would you keep both a 3000 and TR3? Is it crazy?

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
I have been a sports car guy for a long time. Usually I keep just one at a time, tinker a bit, carefully improve what can be improved, enjoy for a year or two, then move on to something else. However, recently I came across two quite nice cars in a short period of time (and I already had another sports car, but Italian). I thought well, I'll drive both for a while, make a decision and let one go after the first of the year. Well, I'm telling you, it's not that easy to decide. It's probably dumb to keep two- I could use the money, but I wonder if I can justify both as an "investment"- sort of a 401K on wheels?

The TR3 is a late B, low mileage, mostly original. The Big Healey is restored to a high standard. Both drive out nicely and have no vices, and are both fun to drive, but quite different experiences. Neither one is needy- I guess my only real cost would be insurance, which is pretty inexpensive. However, money will be tied up that can be used other places.

Can you talk me through this? Would you keep both, or cash out of one now? Anybody else faced this dilemma? I guess I should post this on both the Austin Healey and Triumph forums so I can get both perspectives.

Thanks for your opinion. Jeff

mrdibbles

I really like the way they look together. Two peas in a pod. If you have the means and space I'd say keep 'em together (love the plane too). Especially if you have two kids, that are attached to them in some way, and could one day benefit by accepting those as family heirlooms (just an idea).

That said I try and keep my classics in different categories (because I can't have 5 classics... I think my wife is accepting of adding <span style="text-decoration: underline">ONE</span> more but there's more work to do ahead of actually having full approval on that one).

Different kinds of classics means I can off road in one and cruise in another. What I'm missing at the moment though is a classic I can put the whole family in and drive across town(kids 5 yrs. and 7 yrs.). When I was a kid we used the BT7 for that (sometimes) but today that's mostly frowned upon. Photo below shows the Healey under cover and my runabout military vehicle (1972 AM General M151A2)... two very different peas.

capture17-32.jpg

richberman

Jedi Warrior
You'd free up a lot more money selling the white with green striped winged transportation vehicle on the far right of the picture. Insurance would drop more too.
:lol:
rich

EV2239

Jedi Warrior
I think it's totally irresponsible to own two fuel burning, emission prone, carbon dioxide producing polluters and doing so will offend the tree huggers.

However I have a TR3A that I've rebuilt and am enjoying, a Healey 3000 MKIIA that I'm about to refurbish because it's pretty good and I have a '51 MKVI Bentley and I think you should do the same.

We only get one life and we need to enjoy it.

It's a lovely sunny day here in the UK and about 38 degrees, so I've been rebuilding the Healey throttle linkage. They need love and I don't need hypothermia, but I've had to try it to look after the car!

Ash

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If your financial situation allows, I'd have a hard time giving up either one of those cars. Can you really guarantee your 401k is going to be a better investment than old British iron after the last few years? I'd cut back on other things to keep these. Tell the wife there's a lot of nice clothes available at Salvation Army; the kids don't have to go to an Ivy, there's plenty of good community colleges out there; and tell the dog to get off his lazy butt and catch some squirrels so you don't have to pay for that high end pooch chow.

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Both are nice examples and I would consider them investment quality. I hate the volatility in the stock market and there are few other options with any kind of return (perhaps real estate right now). So, if the money is going to sit idle, I think you would get a return on your investment to hold on to both until the economy turns around and more people are buying toys again.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
:iagree: with all of the above.!

If you can financially handle all the toys, keep them! Life is too darn short not to enjoy. And even if our life should be long, our physical ability can be limited.

P.S. I'm over 60, on SS and will continue to enjoy my toys until I no longer can. Kids may have a depreciated legacy but they can do what I/we have done - earn it.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Both are nice cars, however, I doubt they'll increase that much in value, just my opinion. The younger generation won't appreciate them as much as ours does, so who's going to buy them 10 years from now??

Just consider the declining memberships in both TR and AH car clubs.

:nopity:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
sort of a 401K on wheels

:iagree:

BY the way what is the 401K WORTH RIGHT NOW???????

Roger P. Main

Freshman Member
I owned a 1958 TR-3A from 1963 to 1969, when I stupidly sold it for $ 450.00 when I moved to Germany. It was my first car and I paid the down payment with my first paycheck from NASA. It had 38,000 miles on it when I bought it and 238,000 miles on it when I sold it. It was still in very good condition and driven daily. I remained in contact with the new owner until 1975 and then lost contact with him. My dream car back then was an Austin-Healey 3000, but I could not afford even a used one then. In May 2008, I finally bought an excellent 3000 Mark I that had been imported from California and have since driven it around 7,000 miles, including a long trip of around 2,000 miles. Both cars are great to drive, and if you can afford it, keep both and enjoy them until you die. I am looking for a TR-3A to supplement my Healey, but would settle for a TR-4 or TR-6. I still miss my TR-3A and could shoot myself for having sold it back then. If I had brought it over here, as I did my 1964 Mercedes-Benz 190c, I would still have it. I still have my Mercedes, have had it bare-body restored, and drive it regularly. It now has 255,000 miles on it and is another world altogether. I need all three worlds, TR, A-H, and M-B.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keep them both. I sold my S1 Elan and my TR4 several years back and still have pangs of regret. BTW, very nice looking cars you have there.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
By the looks of things... you are far from crazy. Though this may not be the best time to sell anything, do what you will without regret.

OP
F

Fairview

Jedi Hopeful
EV2239 said:
I think it's totally irresponsible to own two fuel burning, emission prone, carbon dioxide producing polluters and doing so will offend the tree huggers.

However I have a TR3A that I've rebuilt and am enjoying, a Healey 3000 MKIIA that I'm about to refurbish because it's pretty good and I have a '51 MKVI Bentley and I think you should do the same.

We only get one life and we need to enjoy it.

It's a lovely sunny day here in the UK and about 38 degrees, so I've been rebuilding the Healey throttle linkage. They need love and I don't need hypothermia, but I've had to try it to look after the car!

Ash

I've posted on both the Triumph and Austin Healey forums- decided to take Ash's advice:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Thank you all for the input. You have put into words what I've been unable to. Frankly, the TR3 is a much more enjoyable car than I expected. I thought it would be easy to choose the Healey over it, but hasn't been. So I think I should hold onto both for the time being.

Also, there is an article in USA Today this morning about how the average stock fund lost 5.9% this year, some much more than that. So why not have something more tangible, that is fun,interesting, historic, and when I go out to the garage in the morning, 5.9% of it won't have disappeared!

Best to all, Jeff</span>

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Even if they were eating something, just feed them ...

In my case each one of my cars and bikes turn a smile on my face when I see them
And my wife wants me to be happy, so she, the cars and the bikes will stay ;-))

Hans

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Years ago, I had a 73 TR6 I thoroughly enjoyed for 10 years and regret having to sell that back in 1992 and for only $500 as scrap value (after restoring that it just sat and rusted away in no time, so I was forced to sell).

I now have a 67 Healey for over one year and am still restoring it today.

But "IF" and only if I had both today (or in your case, the beautiful TR3B) and was forced to get rid of one, then I would have to get rid of the Triumph (sorry and nothing personal to all the TR owners out there).

There's just nothing like owing a Healey! It doesn't have the same charm as the TR3, but it has it's own charm and performance.

Of course, if I could keep both, then naturally I would.

Paul

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Fairview, Financially, if you are not depriving anybody else and you like them, then keep em. You don't owe any body else any other reason.
You might find that you like them for what they are. Each has a unique character and drives and enjoys or maybe not enjoys differently. If your not enjoying one or the other or both then its time to move on.
I have two Vettes, and my Healey. Since the Healey has been down for restoration for a few years now, I have to make do with the Vettes. :smile:
I have an older Vette, and a fairly new Vette. I can't make myself part with either one. The old one is surely nostalgic and rumbles and makes alot of noise and is great for close range crusin. The new one is smooth and way too fast, and I can easily get myself in trouble with it. (with the law that is). But it is fabulous on a long distance road trip like I took this past summer thru 12 states. But boy I miss not having my Healey on the road. It is smoother than the old Vette and handles better. It is enjoyable because of its rakishness and still handles a road trip very well especially since it has the overdrive. With the new 3:54:1 rear gears I plan to push the road trips out there alittle further and longer. I have good reasons to keep all three and almost no reason to sell any.

helpful_person

Freshman Member
How can you sell either? In my opinion the Healey is one of the best looking sports cars ever made. The TR3B is also nice to look at and I believe the "B" is very rare and desirable.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I sold my TR3B in 1968 to buy a 1966 MGB, which I raced in SCCA. The TR3 was really basic and not suitable for PA weather. The heater was a joke, and the side curtains were worthless. Nevertheless, it was a great driver in good weather, with a satisfying brute force. My Healey has similar issues with cold weather, but unlike the TR3, it is stored during the winter and only used as a casual fun driver. If I had the garage space as you do, I'd love to have both available.