• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1974.5 MGB vs. 1975 model. Which to keep?

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
The more I look at the parts car (75), the better it seems. Both are rust free in all the major areas but the 75 is just that much cleaner - no door dings, no wrinkles on the fenders, captive nuts for the seat rails are all intact etc etc. However, I like the simplicity of the non servo brakes and the purity of the twin SU set up on the 74.5. The 75 has been "modified" a little more with a Weber carb and some electrical extras such as a horn and stereo / amplifier.

I was set on keeping the 74.5 with the best trim pieces form both. Now I am not sure. Can I put the twin carb set up on the 75? The oil cooler seems like an easy transplant. Are the servo assist brakes better - the same - or worse? Can the systems be swapped? Do I worry about originality?

Help

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Why get rid of either?

OP
Monark192

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Tony - you are a bad influence! I agree with peoples thoughts not to mess with a perfectly good car. I will get the 75 running again (I hope hehe) which means I can then put my Wife's Midget back in the garage. I think the 74 will be the keeper as I prefer the twin carb set up (just looks right to me)

G

If it were me "trapped in your dilemma" the '75 would get tarted up and SOLD to pad the expenses for doing the earlier one. SU's are reliable as house bricks, boosters are just one more 'thing' to maintain or break and cause grief. The "KISS" rule was used when these cars were designed and IMHO should be the way they're approached now. Less is more.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm with Doc if one has to go...however, 2 words: "skaters" "lifts"

OP
Monark192

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
I have thought about the lift idea but I think the garage ceiling is too low. Still, what I really want is a BGT and I don't know if I can talk management into 4 MGs.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If you really want a BGT, fix up the 2 Bs you have, sell them, and you can afford a really nice BGT. Or do as Tony says and find a way to have all 4!

This from someone who'd love to have 4 MGs, but has come to the realization that I'm only going to have 1. (Yes, I have 2 now, but that's temporary)

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
One of each makes sense. Of course, if you follow down that path too far, you wind up like Tony, with one of everything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
If you put the SUs on the 75 with the servo brake booster, you can't use the stock air cleaners as they will hit the booster. I don't know if the boosted brakes are better in a "B" as I don't have them in my 72 and don't need them. I can lock up all four wheels without one. Can the systems be swaped? Sure, you can swap just about anything around on a "B" but, do you want to? To each his own, but to me, to cannibalize one good car to put the parts on another good car seems a little silly. I'd drive the 75, park the 74 untill I got a few extra jingles and then, over a period of time, fix the 74 up. The Weber is a good carb and if adjusted properly, it works very well. It's just not the choice of some of us purists who are SU nuts. As far as the oil cooler being transfered from the 74 to the 75. Why? It ran for 30 odd years with out one. Why go to all that trouble? Very few cars, as a whole, have oil coolers. Some of the newer cars have them built into the radiators as they run at much hotter temperatures. I'd clean it up, drive it and have some fun with it. Just my 2 cents worth.PJ

R6MGS

Yoda
You've also gotta look at how much work you wanna put into getting the choise car the way you want it. Are you looking for a driver? Or are you heading for a complete resto? If you just want a driver the 75 sounds like it could easily be made into a presentable driver. The 74 sounds like it will need more work to be a nice driver, but then if your going to restore the car completely, then go with the 74 given the fact that it's got the dual SU's and no brake booster.
Or just say the heck with it, and keep both....until you get your hands on a GT...Then sell one of the roadsters.

G

From previous "assertions and assumptions" you're into the '75 "right" so making it the Sacrificial Goat (ie: spiff it up and get it running well), you could likely turn it and have the "readies" to go hunting a GT which would be a turn-key car. THEN you could renovate the drophead at leasure!

~I~ think my logic is *faultless* here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

OP
Monark192

Monark192

Jedi Warrior
Yep - everyone echoes what I was thinking anyway. The 74.5 is more desireable to me (enought to overcome the slightly more flawed body) and it will be the keeper - sort of a driver to be slowly improved over time. The 75 will be fixed, driven for a while and then sold. The twin SUs rule the day - at least they will as soon as I get them back from Hap!

G

When they come back it'll be a: "Bolt 'em on, hit th key" operation. He'll have 'em so close you'll likely need to do NOTHING but drive the car. Mebbe check the balance t'wixt 'em, but Hap's an old hand and "bench setting" 'em is inside his "skill-set" fer sure. It's a matter of pride in workmanship, y'see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Likewise.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh, from what I have seen Hap makes em preaty as well.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hap rebuilt my HIFs and when I put them on the engine, it fired right up! As doc said, all I had to do was tweak them a little to balance them. Also the carbs look like brand new. He goes that extra mile to make them look so good, thier show car perfect. When I need carb work again, (On another engine of course), they'll go to Hap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif PJ