• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Decisions Drive It or Keep Doing Body Work

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK so the temps hit 72 yesterday and will be the same with sun today. Weekend was gorgeous and Bugsy my '68 is sitting in the garage with hood, fenders, and valence off awaiting Bugeye Bonnet installation. Bonnet has been gross fitted but needs lots and lots of work to make it look right. Windshield is off doing some painting under there, I need to finish paint on D.S. Door and I've never gotten to the P.S. A-Skin lower repair panel nor the repair panels needed under the taillights.

I wanna go drive Bugsy and watching convertibles and motorcycles go by is driving me crazy. With the work still to be done I can make it nice and look perfect to my eye or I can reinstall the front valence, fenders, and hood, finish up the small painting project, and be driving in a week or so. Weather is going to get colder for the weekend. So here is the question, forget the Bugeye Bonnet for now(and it will need 2-3-4 weeks worth of prep time and bondo, and painting to finish at minimum plus wiring work to complete)or reinstall the square body panels again. Granted Frank C could get it all done over a weekend but with Spring time and Honey Do Yard Projects plus a whole lot of work demands I'm afraid if I don't reassemble now, I'll miss the entire fun Spring Driving Time. So please vote, Keep Working Away or Go Drive.

Sign Me Tired of Working Want To Go and Play

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If you can wait, the bonnet sounds like a good winter project. I'd tend towards the drive it now, and do the Bugeye bonnet work next winter when the car is off the road.

I won't take the Tunebug off the road in the summer again -- there will still be many projects (including some bodywork) in the future, but those will be scheduled for winter time. Got to be out there driving!

This is one of the reasons why I also own a motorcycle... a way to get out and enjoy the riding (if warm weather ever gets here) while I'm working on the Bugeye.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Drew,

Bugsy looks like Tunebug right now from a body panel standpoint. Weather is just killing me wanting to go and drive. Colleen told me last night stop stressing yourself and go back to square body sprite panels and leave Bugeye Bonnet for winter. Looks like Ozarks Trip is getting shaky due to vacation time I thought I'd have so that pressure unfortunately is off. As I recall I think you can relate to that.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I was disappointed to cancel my planned Ozarks trip, but it greatly reduced my stress level about having to get the car done. Deadlines can be helpful, but can also be stressful. Drive and enjoy, that's what these little cars are for. :smile:

RickB

Yoda
Jim,
IMHO:
Life is too short, drive your spridget in the warm weather.
Who knows what tomorrow may bring, drive it now.
:wink:

Country flag
I'm going to suggest that you go ahead and bolt up the bugeye bonnet and get it working and put some temp paint on it, then drive the car, and take the bonnet back off in the winter months to the proper repairs.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Jim_Gruber said:
Drew,

Looks like Ozarks Trip is getting shaky

Unfortunately it is looking the same here as well :frown:

Work is just one thing after another, but at least I have a job :wink:

I agree with Drew.

Pat

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Folks,

You've helped me make up my mind, old sheet metal is going back on. Bugsy will remain a Bugeye Wanaabe until next winter. I've got weeks of work to get the bonnet to fit right. I've got to go drive. On the other hand 4 bolts and 5 minutes gets an ugly bonnet back on the car. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I drove Bugsy ugly with 4 different paint colors on the DS Fender for 5 years. Time to finish up what I can accomplish is short order and long term stuff will wait until next winter. If I put the bonnet on and can get it to look halfway right I'll drive ugly, otherwise old sheet metal goes back on. I'll be driving by April 20th.

bugimike

Yoda
"Ugly" driving is way better than "No" driving!!! :thumbsup: :driving: