• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Honest, It followed me home can I keep it?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well, went to get my daughter to bring her home from school for Thanksgiving. Went to visit my friend Larry and he gave me his Fiat 600 Multipla. Larry has lots of cars and this one requires lots of work. Basically a basket case, fully disassembled, engine (from another Multipla) spent ten years lying upsidedown in a quarry.

The good news, all the valves etc spent 10 years soaking in oil as it was upside down, for a Fiat is has relatively less rust (and yes it is relative) and mostly I'm just really happy. I've been looking for a more challenging project, one I can learn to weld on and one I don't have to rush on as I have Ms Triss to drive. On the big plus side it will also fit handily in the other bay of my garage which is a tad on the small and low side.

I'm very happy - Happy Thanksgiving all.

Oh, and no pics yet, and Larry is going to store the car for awhile as my second garage door does not yet open.

:banana: :smile:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
That is very cool....I would love one.

There is a 2010 Multipla touring the USA right now (as part of a FIAT promotional deal). But the new ones are ugly ducklings. Your's in the one I'd want.

I recall the very first time I saw one of those. It was at "The Ex" (The Canadian National Exhibition) in Toronto in the late 50s. Even then, as a little kid, I found the efficiency of the design very appealing.

If you are new to welding and hope for success, I'd recommend a good quality MIG welder (and not the "gasless" type either). I've been using one at work for years but just bought my first for home use this year. I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy one sooner.

For those who haven't seen a Multipla, here's one below:

Fiat%20Multipla%20-%201956.jpg

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes you can keep it

Always nice to have another Fiat in the area. I smell lots of Abarth mods 85hp should push it along from the 36hp she had.

Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• 18743.jpg
    18743.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 302

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looks sorta like an old BMW on steroids.

losmorob

Jedi Hopeful
Definitely on my short list of "So many cars so little time."
Here is a pics of one that was on this years CA Melee tour. Made it 800+miles in 3 days. The owner is the largest importer of Fiat parts in North America. What a great ride.

001.jpg

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The models you have are really cool. With Fiat had thought about adding some of that cool to the new model. What size engine does the Multipla have? I can't remember if they have the engine from the 500/600 series or 750/850.

losmorob

Jedi Hopeful
This is THE GUY you need to contact. He 's the owner of the Melee car above.

https://www.fiatplus.com/

And if you want to sell it, contact me!

Here's his description of the car. Interesting read.

A lot of folks have asked about the Multipla... I hope I cover them all.
It's a 1959 Fiat 600 Multipla. It was officially imported to North America by Fiat, it is a USA version car. It was used as an advertisement sign for Vince's Barber Shop in East San Jose during the 1960s. I found it in Los Gatos with a blown motor in 1975 on a dirt side road, and by 1976 had drug it home where I prepared it for going to Alaska on the Alcan by the Spring of 1977. I had installed an 817 cc Fiat 850 motor and a 600 D Sedan transaxle so it would have a higher than 52 MPH top speed. And since it is the version that folds down into a bed my late wife & I lived out of it for four months, paisley curtains & all. During the trip the 817 motor died, and I managed to locate an 843 CC motor in Kenai Alaska, rebuilt it on a picnic table, and tossed it up into the roof rack until the Matenuska Glacier where I swapped them out after the 817 just couldn't be nursed along any further.
After the Alaskan trip it was used around Santa Cruz & on camping trips, but the car developed an attitude, so it ended up getting parked.
18 years later, while my wife was covering the "Around the World" tour (put on by the same folks that put on the Peking to Paris, which she competed in and wrote a book about, "Prince Borgese's Trail") we went to Alaska to cover that leg, and the memories of "the Multipla died here" & "the Multipla died here also" persuaded me to bring it back to life. Attitude solved, the car was used to go to swap meets all over California, and even did a trip to a national Fiat meet in Oregon. It is on the cover of my book "Obert's Fiat Guide", and used to carry the advertisement for my business on the sides, along with Vince's barber pole, until my insurance company made me remove them.
The car did not compete in the Peking to Paris, but carries the badge (#51) and the real Chinese license plate (#69) from the trip as a tribute.
And it did carry the vanity plate "MULTPLA" until parked, and when it came back, even though the car had been properly non opted, California had given away my plate! I did not worry about it until I was at a car show with the other Multipla with the vanity plate in white and the cops started looking at both cars...

If you want to purchase either book, I have lots of copies.
Chris Obert

D

Deleted member 8987

I had a standard 600 at one point.
Had a family friend who had a Multipla, used it to transport his whole family.
(Before seat belt laws).
Mine had the roll-back sunroof, and last year (I think( for suicide doors.
Took the check straps off, opened the doors all the way, bungee cord across the back to hold them open, made a neat beach buggy.

Odd cooling system.
Watch out for the radiator scoop underneath.
It picks up all sorts of garbage and plugs the front of the radiator.
Don't ask me how I know that.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
kellysguy said:
Looks like a VW bus violated an Isetta.
:lol: :yesnod: It <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">does</span></span>!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I wish I could tell you more about mine. It is all in pieces and the shell has been stripped of paint. There is some floorboard work required as well as the bottom of the doors. The engine is from another one though apparently both Multipla's came from the same dealer (in Kitchener?) a few months apart. Larry has already offered to teach me to weld and I hope to take him up on it - though the Toronto School Board also has a body work night school course that I may try to take next term. Anyway, as soon as I have pics, I'll post them. I think he needs to be named Luigi

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Good Stuff JP ! barley finished Miss. Triss & your onto another one ! Perfect ha ha
Yes pictures please when you can.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So was out to see him - so far Luigi seems to be sticking as a name but that may change. turns out it is a '58 - with the smaller engine. here are a couple of pics - I'll carry on in the "Other Car" forum now

Attachments

• 18807.jpg
    18807.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 117
OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
and

Attachments