• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Rebuild -What to keep and what not to keep?

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Hopefully not a silly question.

After tearing down an engine, what should you keep for the rebuild? I know the crank, the rods and the block but what about all the other parts and pieces? (external and internal)

We'll consider the head in the next lesson.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Until the task is completed, I keep ~EVERYTHING~ wot came out.

...welll... mebbe not th' paper gaskets.... :devilgrin:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don't throw anything away! & remember where you put everything....label every bolt...after you're finished, then you can chunk stuff.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'm toward the end of a rebuid, (I know I did not even post about it) what do I start chucking?

Timing Chain
Timing chain Gears (2)
Water pump
Bearings - rod or crank
Head gasket
Manifold gasket
Cam
Oil thrower
Lifters... err tappets
...and so on.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]after you're finished, then you can chunk stuff.
[/QUOTE]

So THAT'S what I am supposed to do.... I still have boxes with stuff from my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd one.... 'tis the packrat in me... :smirk:

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
ronzet said:
Tony,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]after you're finished, then you can chunk stuff.

So THAT'S what I am supposed to do.... I still have boxes with stuff from my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd one.... 'tis the packrat in me... :smirk: [/QUOTE]

At's Y I'm askin!. I've taken many an engine apart and have bins of different parts I'd just assume scrap or if still usable try and sell here or on eBay. After I built this engine I started thinkin' I've got too many parts. If they are garbage, I'd rather get srap value than either throw them out ot let 'em sit ona shelf.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: Engine Rebuild -What to keep and what not to k

...welcome to th' <span style="color: #990000">DARK SIDE</span> Vince!!! :devilgrin:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Timing Chain....Chunk
Timing chain Gears (2)...sell on eBay
Water pump....chunk
Bearings - rod or crank....chunk
Head gasket....chunk
Manifold gasket....chunk
Cam...sell on eBay
Oil thrower....chunk
Lifters... err tappets....chunk

If its a small, wearable part, chunk it! If its old & not a rebuildable part, chunk it!

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Vping,

Ya' just never know.... Every time I throw something away I think I might need it... someday.. like my old sneakers.... :smirk:

I have started putting ols schtuff in a box and putting it in the garage for my daughter to throw away.... If it isn't there anymore.. I don't think about it.....

However, I NEVER let anyone else clean the garage.... I have lost too many needed parts that way.... :wall:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Who's th' member with th' biggest fear:"When I'm gone, I fear my wife will sell my LBC for what I ~TOLD~ her it cost."???

...or words to that effect...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So it would!

:wink:

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks.

What about all the timing chain tensioner parts and bits?

Clutch pressure plate and clutch plate and throw out bearing. Still plenty of room from face of clutch to rivets.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Facing the "OEM vs. Counterfeit" debate, I vote ya keep th' "driven plate" as a spare!!! :devilgrin:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
vping said:
Thanks.

Clutch pressure plate and clutch plate and throw out bearing. Still plenty of room from face of clutch to rivets.
Toss 'em....lemme ask you: would you want to install somebody else's used parts inside your new engine?

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Re: Engine Rebuild -What to keep and what not to k

tony barnhill said:
vping said:
Thanks.

Toss 'em....lemme ask you: would you want to install somebody else's used parts inside your new engine?

Exactly... NFW.

If you are into a clutch job MGB, the last thing you want is someone else's iffy parts in there.

edit: I take Docs point... AP Driveline bought Borg & Beck who no longer mfgr clutches. I've heard that the other brands are not quite as good (QH / Classic Clutches / LUK). My only experience is with AP/B&B.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Someone recently had a NEW clutch assembly go horribly wrong... I think it was a B&B but not sure. I'd keep the bits for a while.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd not put used parts in another persons engine. Not worth the trouble of dissasembly.

If however I was doing something where an old part would suffice, I'd keep it around as a just in case the new ones were not ordered or seemed much worse than the used ones.

I assumed that the Clutch disc and throw out bearing were givens to toss. Good point about the timing gears however. I'd always change the gears and chain but listing the old gears on ebay is not a bad idea. I've got 2 extra sets and need them gone.

The engine I am currently building is all new except for block, rods and crank (and covers).

Two things that are often chunked after disassembly, and not paid attention to that may time of better quailty asnd proper fit than what you can buy today is cam thrust plates and cranksahft thrust washers.

When I disassembly a engine core for rebuild, that is a very importatn time, the engine can tell me many things, for instance i check the crank en float right then, cahnces are it is within spec, and if the thrust washer look good, they can be re-used and this is the proper thing to do, not being cheap. I can't tell you how many time i've put new thrust washer in engine and have them lock down a crank in the blok on the engine stand, then have to flat samd them on a pce of galls with some snadpaper taped to it, about the time all your finget tips are bleeding then you done :, aonly to find out now you new thinned thrust washer are the same thickness as your old one, so do your yourself a favor here, check the old ones before you go thru the nightmare of fitting new ones that are no where near as good f quality as the orignal ones.

nspecting the cam thrust plate is another good thing to do, often you will find it in good shape and best to reuse, and you could very easily buy a new one that binds the cranks and causes problems.

I toss the normal fastners, but you have to be smarts there are many specail fasdtner in your engine that are near impossible to find or if you can they are very expensive, like oiul pump studs in a MGB. If you are repacing the head stud kit with a new Moss-type replacment, save your old head stud falt washer, the ones they saupply with the kit are garbage, if you have the budget for it, go ARP.

I think one of the most overlooked item in a home engine rebuild is connecting rods, replace your rod bolts, and resize the rod's big end.

Sped extra money on good bearing, get King tri metal bearing at a minimum, the B Hive and Britsih Parts Northwest both carry them, money well spent, the standard County and AE bearing are garbage, and will wear out much faster especially on the rods.

Get good gasket sets, this will save you time, because they fit properly, so go with Payen gasket sets.