• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Winter Storage, New Carb, and other Fun Stuff :]

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hiya All,

Been out of touch for a bit,...it's that nutty time of year for we caterers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The B's been great, Bob over at Brittanic Motors, just finished rebuilding the front suspension,...WOW it's like driving a new car! All new shocks, poly bushings, the whole shebang. It's a beautiful thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The previous owner had removed the front sway bar, but now that is back too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I need to do the same to the rear suspension, replace the gas tank, exhaust and carburetor......but that's gonna wait til after Christmas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

For now she's into storage.

I had to rent a storage unit from Public Storage,..ended up being an OK deal,..with the promotions I have the space for $80. per month, including electricity for my battery charger. I have no garage at home,..and with my luck, the driveway guy would plow my lil B right into the back yard,..so better safe than back in the bodyshop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyway,..is there anything I need to know about storing,..the space is not heated, but it's clean and dry.
My plan is to go in once a week (the spot is right next to my weekly Costco run :p ),..start her up, and drive her around the complex. Seems to me like that oughtta be enough, whaddya all think?

As I mentioned,..I also need to replace my Weber downdraft,..can't be rebuilt. Moss has them at $540., Weberdirect can do $489.,...is there anywhere else I should look?

Ok,...so I guess that's about it for now. Thanks for your advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope you're all well,..and getting ready for a great Thanksgiving! (mmm,..stuffing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Cheers!
Jerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Winter Storage, New Carb, and other Fun Stuff

hey JR... long time no see. Just FYI, 1975 MGBs didn't have sway bars stock. So, it wasn't the PO that removed the sway bar, it was MG. They later realised the error in doing so after having lifted the car for US bumper standards, and adding the heavier bumpers a couple of years later. The 1977 to 1980 US spec MGBs came with front and rear sway bars.

I thought the same thing you did when I got my 1976 MGB. However, after a little research I found out my '76 just never had them to begin with. I found the enormous amount of body roll it had without the front bar was a bit worry some. So, like you I added a stock unit from one of the earlier cars, in addition to replacing all my bushes with poly units. It definitely feels like an entirely different car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag

You could try www.brittek.com I bought my Weber 38 DGES from them along with headers and there minor engine rebuild kit with a hotter cam. They seem to be very reasonable with prices and there setup instructions they included with the carb were great.

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee

Hiya Nunyas,
Thanks,..good to see you!

Wow,..I didn't know that about the sway bar,...thank you!

She does handle so much better now,..it's amazing!

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee

Thanks Stewart!

I spoke to Bob over at Brittek,..new weber kit on the way!

I can't wait to put it on!

mgbmedic

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Mr. Rosa, You might want to add fuel stibilzer to the tank, it couldn't hurt. Also, if you start the car periodically, make sure it comes up to temp and the exhaust gets good and hot, otherwise the exhaust system will fail due to moisture. If you have a stainless system you don't have to worry. Last year I found a product(the name escapes me) that absorbed moisture, you just peeled the top back, threw it in your car and it would act like a sponge on the humidity in the air. I put these on the floorboards as added protection. This year I haven't been able to locate them anywhere. I also replaced my complete suspension front and rear,nd it's great!! It feels like I just drove off the showroom floor in a 37 year old car. Good luck! Bob

rodesmg

jerry
since you got electric i would invest in a plug in ultrasonic pest controller, been using one for 14 yrs no mice, there is two types one will go thru walls and the other one won't. get the one that goes thru walls, they run about $30. cheap investment and they will last for years
russ

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag

mgbmedic, Harbor Freight has that stuff...desiccants. You might want to try there if you're still looking.

JR, good to see you!!! I miss pestering you!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

Jerry, Good to hear from you. Hope you've been enjoying the "B".
I agree with mgbmedic. It does more damage to periodicly start the car if it dosen't ever get up to temprature. This is true for the engine oil (moisture and hydrocarbons in the crank) as well as the exhaust.
If you're going to start it up, let it run for a good 20 min. or more. A lap or two around the storage place is a great idea, as it will get all the bearings rolling and work the brake system seals and keep the tires from getting flat-sided.
Really, once a month is plenty.
Another trick I learned for keeping tires from flat-siding is to inflate them to around 45psi. Just be sure to set them back down in the spring. The new cars we getfrom Toyota at the dealership come this way, just for that reason.
Seems to work well

Newkie

Jedi Trainee

I have heard of people putting scented dryer sheets in the car(floor)eng.compartment etc. I dont know if it works, but it beats moth balls. Has anyone else heard of this technique to keep mice away.

Newkie

carl w french

Hey FWIW When I do the last oil change of the season (never let old oil sit in the pan). I put in Castrol Syntec 5-50 For starting in cold weather the 5w helps the oil pressure come up as fast as the summer. With 20/50 it is a looong wait. Works up the interstate in Maine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee

Hiya Everyone,

Sorry it's been so long for a reply,..busy season catering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I've been in to start her up twice,..no troubles,..even took her for a little ride to get gas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif As per your advice, I've let her heat up completely, and am keeping the wheels moving.

I have to say, after the year of doing a complete rehab on her,..I guess being in the whole process made me look for flaws, and what had to be done next,..but after not seeing her for a month, then going in for the first start-up, I saw how much I loved the way the restoration came out, and really can't wait for spring now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bob,..Thanks for the tip on the fuel stabilizer, will do. Not sure if I need a dessicant or not,..seems to be really dry in the storage unit,..maybe even too dry. Rear suspension, gas tank, exhaust system and new weber will go in after the holidays,..I can't wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Russ,..thanks,..good thought on the pest control,..I have one of those units and think I'll use it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Birdy,..I miss you pestering me too,..been trying to keep up with binabox,..hope you're enjoying the process /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Banjo,..nice to hear from you,..good call on the tire pressure,.I upped it on Friday. Thanks for the "once a month" advice,..it makes alot of sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Newkie,...Not sure about the "Bounce" thing,..I seem to remember one of those internet lists of all the things you can do with the stuff,..wouldn't surprise me if it works,..and wow,..no static cling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Carl,..Thanks for the advice on the oil,..my mechanic changed it before we put her away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As usual,..thank you all for some great advice!

I may not be back until January,..So Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all!

Cheers!