• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

'envelopes' for winter car storage

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thinking ahead to this winter and car storage: I'm going to have to put one of our LBCs either outside in the yard (snow; low temperatures, no mice) or in a dry barn (mice/dust/etc. etc.). I've seen ads for plastic 'envelopes' that you can zip your car into and might be good for the barn; also for 'bubbles' that come complete with a fan that runs constantly to keep it inflated. Anyone used such things? suggestions & comments definitely welcome.
Thanks,
Doug

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tony kept his TD in a bubble. Shrug.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I have seen those envelopes, actually makes sense to me..moisture is your biggest issue and with a fan running all the time I would think it would keep the moisture out. I would still want ot park the car in the envelope at least under a shed next to the barn if it willnot fit inside, keep it out of direct sunlight.

Also in the bag mice and other critters should stay away

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
There was a thread about this very subject some time ago. A search would be in order.

walshja

Jedi Warrior
I keep my car in a bubble, works GREAT !!

keeps mice, moisture and people away from the car, but you still get to look at and admire it !!

the only bad thing about the bubble is she gets made fun of !!!!

https://home.comcast.net/~walshja/MGbubble.jpg

MGbubble.jpg

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Yea it looks like a ham biscuit from a corner convience store after you left it in the microwave to long

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Where did you get the bubble? What was the cost?
I have problems with moisture and mice big time where I am at.
Kevin

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
If I had Joe's MG I'd do that too. Wow
39K miles. Cars aren't original but once!
Kudos.
I think those bubble things are cool. Now
I want one in my garage too.
:thumbsup:

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used the search function, specifying 'storage' in the subject line, checking all forums, and got 300 hits going back to August 2008, but not a lot on bubbles etc.

https://universitymotorsltd.com/qa.php
This thread referenced an article by John Twist regards storage but I couldn’t find it although I searched his site https://www.universitymotorsltd.com/ for winter; storage; and winter storage.

https://classicmotorsports.net/articles/long-winters-nap/
Thread contains a pretty generic article on storage

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/368816/2
References varmints and a bubble storage (this is a triumph thread)

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...roze#Post203558
Thread contains a 'carcoon' reference (the bubble with a fan)

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...ar_s#Post175654
Thread contains a general storage discussion

I (or someone else) still need to search using 'storage', 'carcoon', and whatever else comes to mind, plus do the same but limiting it to Spridgets.

Entering 'carcoon' in Google etc. gives you a number of different sites (eg USA, Canada). The UK site https://www.carcoon.co.uk/carcoons/products-order.asp provides a list of the sizes etc. available plus UK prices: $ 400 (rough conversion to dollars) and up

Doug

V

vagt6

I've often wondered about the overall effectiveness of those things.

First, how does it reduce humidity? Wouldn't the humidity inside the bubble be pretty near the humidity that exists in the room where the bubble is situated? If not, why would it be different? If there's a fan that keeps it inflated, doesn't the fan introduce outside/ambient (e.g., humid) air into the bubble to keep it inflated?

Second, how does it keep vermin/rodents out? Wouldn't any determined rodent just be able to easily gnaw right through the bubble material?

I could see where it may keep dust out, but wouldn't a $40 indoor car cover do practically the same thing?

Maybe I just think too much, sometimes induces headaches . . . :yesnod:

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here's a web-page for the non-fan type of storage: https://www.carbag.com/index.html

Mark: my thoughts: the 'bubble' type with the fan prevent condensation on the car within the bag by continuously circulating air. Humidity will stay the same inside the bag as outside; the car will see the same humidity as if it was parked without the bag. However, the bag will keep debris off the car and (according to my understanding) rodents etc. will find it very difficult to chew through the bag material as well as not having any real motivation, unless you're storing yesterday's pizza for the winter as well.

Our climate here tends to be quite dry and I'm looking at it primarily for rodent protection while stored in a barn - I won't have access to power, so am thinking in terms of the carbag style.

Doug

walshja

Jedi Warrior
hey everyone, thanks for the kind comments about my car, I got real lucky a few years ago when I found her. the original paint looks AWESOME from about 5 feet still, get closer and she starts looks her age. when I got the car the paint looked horrible, like it was never polished, so I spent a few weeks polishing and buffing and she shines like she is brand new. The interior is original, the carpets have a few wear holes in the drivers floor, and the center tunnel carpet is faded a bit, other than that the interior is perfect. I love working on this car !!

I went with the car capsule for 3 reasons: mice, humidity and kids.

it will definitely keep the mice out as there is no way for them to get in, aside from chewing through the think plastic, but as someone said, there would be no reason for them to do that aside from leaving a bowl of peanuts on top of your car. and if they do get in, you will instantly know because your capsule will deflate, and you can take the proper actions quickly. it takes care of the humidity by ensuring the ambient temperature remains constant with the temperature of the car. In CT, during the summer months, when I wold head to the garage and open the door, the warm humid air would enter the garage and hit the car which was cold from the night time temperature drop, and condensation would be dripping from the car within minutes. the car capsule completely stopped that. finally my car is kept in my garage with my 2 daughters bikes, sleds, baseballs, bats and anything you can think of. with the car capsule my kids can run full speed into the side of the capsule and never hit the car, it is that strong !!! someone mentioned a car cover keeping the dust of the car, well, in my experience all my covers still allowed dust through the fibers, not a big deal, but the car capsule is much better at protecting your car, nothing is touching the car at all. and with a car cover you can't stare at the car for no other reason than to admire it (I find myself doing that much too often). with the car capsule you still get full view of the car !!

the cost was under $200 off eBay, took me a while to find one that cheap, but I setup an automatic search and within a month found one cheap enough to buy, brand new. they come in all sizes, I went for the 14 foot car capsule (smallest avail for cars), and it is still huge, wish they sold something smaller. I could fit motorcycle in there if I wanted to along with the Midget. (I just may do that over the winter).

power consumption on the car capsule is supposed to be very low, only $1.50 a month in electricity charges. so I am wondering if you could hook this up to a car battery and it would run for a few months, that may address the no electricity concern

finally, the ham biscuit comment, hysterical ! I've heard bubble boy comments, John Travolta comments, but never a ham biscuit !!

https://www.carcapsule.com/

let me know if you want more pictures or have any more questions I can answer, I am a believer in this product !!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The USAF transportation folks over my violent objections stored a few vehicles in a place that shall not be mentioned in the 1980's.

They were effectively sealed in big rubber bags.

Guess what, when opened several years later we sent them to the dump. Nothing but rust in there.

The answer in my humble opionion is the stored vehicle must be allowed to breath.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
'tis the season to think of winter storage....
I'll be driving our 3000 out to a rural location next week (we're in Calgary - cold & dry) to store the car in an unheated, uninsulated, garage with mice. The plan is to lay two 8 ft wide strips of plastic vapour barrier down with a bead of acoustic seal joining them (get about 15 ft wide) and park the car on the plastic, then pull the plastic up on each side & ends (prob. min. 4 ft vertical) and secure it with cordage coming down from the ceiling. I'm not sure if it's necessary to put a plastic 'umbrella' up sheet of plastic full car length stapled to the ceiling) and/or a light weight cover over the car.
The rest of the ususal: fairly full fuel tank; gas stabilizer; about 100 miles on a fresh oil change (will change oil again in Spring - used the 'cheap' stuff this time); run tyres up to max. rated pressure); fluids all okay and antifreeze good for -40F/C

nomad

Yoda
I've been storing my MGA sitting on dryer clothes softening sheets with more sheets inside the car and tucked into any crevice a mouse might find appealing. So far so good. A friend gave me the idea but I also remove the seat squabs and the rest of the interior would'nt be damaged that much by Mickey.

Anyone else used any novel mouse preventitives??

Kurt.

K

KSIS

nomad said:
I've been storing my MGA sitting on dryer clothes softening sheets with more sheets inside the car and tucked into any crevice a mouse might find appealing. So far so good. A friend gave me the idea but I also remove the seat squabs and the rest of the interior would'nt be damaged that much by Mickey.

Anyone else used any novel mouse preventitives??

Kurt.

When I store the Spit, I will pull the top and leave the frame behind. flip the seats up and place pie tins with moth ball on the floor. I will also use the dryer sheets then place my car cover over evrything.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Only one thing I am sure of. Let it breath, if you seal it up you are asking for trouble.

The USAF did extensive studies in the desert even and vehicles would be junk in a year if sealed. If left to breath they would be ok for ever.

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jack - kind of like people, huh? We last longer if allowed to breathe.

One other item I figure I'll do is pull the plugs and spray the inside of the cylinders with fogging oil.

Doug