• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheel stud dimensions?

Nader

I broke a rear wheel stud while torquing the lug nuts, so now I need to replace it. Does anyone know offhand what the replacement stud dimensions are? Thanks.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Smaller than you will typically find in the Small Box Auto Parts stores. Take a wheel nut with you.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Pretty sure they're 3/8" diameter, can't seem to find the detail anywhere in my notes. Got my last set from Moss I think.

johntennyson

Country flag
Y'know... if it snapped off when you torqued it down, you might want to think of this as an opportunity to go to larger and stronger studs. I went to 7/16" studs on my Sprite.

Hot Wings

I went to 7/16" studs on my Sprite.

Can you get left hand lug nuts that work with Minilite wheels? I know I'm probably a bit paranoid but I've had a left front wheel depart after getting new tires. I watched the tech use the torque wrench. I've also lost a left rear that I put on, with a known good torque wrench.

One could bore the Minilites to .680" to use American spec alloy nuts but that creates a potential hazard if used with the .625" nuts.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Y'know... if it snapped off when you torqued it down, you might want to think of this as an opportunity to go to larger and stronger studs. I went to 7/16" studs on my Sprite.

... or replace them all. Chances are if one was over torqued, that all were at one time or another.

OP
N

Nader

Yeah, I think I'll be replacing them all. It's easy to forget how small these wheel studs are when you've got full-size enclosed lug nuts that hide those puny studs. 60 ft/lbs later, I've got a busted stud and several more that are overstretched. I'm just waiting to see if the new wheels I ordered are going to need longer studs before I start ordering parts. In the meantime, I'll keep reminding myself that Renault made do with 3 studs/wheel studs on a lot of their cars.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Put that Air Gun away and get out your ratchet. I use a ratcheting breaker bar with a swivel that I keep in Bugsy all the time. When nut is loose I can rotate 90 degrees and spin on the nut quickly and then ratchet to tighten. I've broken my share of studs in the past. Knock on wood won't happen in the future.

OP
N

Nader

If I upgrade to 7/16 studs, what would be involved? I'm assuming the hubs will have to be redrilled, right? Can it be done by hand or drill press, or will I have to take the hubs to a machinist?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I would take the 4 hubs and drums, axles, wheels to a machine shop to make sure it's done correctly.
Rut