Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I broke a rear wheel stud while torquing the lug nuts, so now I need to replace it. Does anyone know offhand what the replacement stud dimensions are? Thanks.
Y'know... if it snapped off when you torqued it down, you might want to think of this as an opportunity to go to larger and stronger studs. I went to 7/16" studs on my Sprite.
Can you get left hand lug nuts that work with Minilite wheels? I know I'm probably a bit paranoid but I've had a left front wheel depart after getting new tires. I watched the tech use the torque wrench. I've also lost a left rear that I put on, with a known good torque wrench.
One could bore the Minilites to .680" to use American spec alloy nuts but that creates a potential hazard if used with the .625" nuts.
Y'know... if it snapped off when you torqued it down, you might want to think of this as an opportunity to go to larger and stronger studs. I went to 7/16" studs on my Sprite.
Yeah, I think I'll be replacing them all. It's easy to forget how small these wheel studs are when you've got full-size enclosed lug nuts that hide those puny studs. 60 ft/lbs later, I've got a busted stud and several more that are overstretched. I'm just waiting to see if the new wheels I ordered are going to need longer studs before I start ordering parts. In the meantime, I'll keep reminding myself that Renault made do with 3 studs/wheel studs on a lot of their cars.
Put that Air Gun away and get out your ratchet. I use a ratcheting breaker bar with a swivel that I keep in Bugsy all the time. When nut is loose I can rotate 90 degrees and spin on the nut quickly and then ratchet to tighten. I've broken my share of studs in the past. Knock on wood won't happen in the future.
If I upgrade to 7/16 studs, what would be involved? I'm assuming the hubs will have to be redrilled, right? Can it be done by hand or drill press, or will I have to take the hubs to a machinist?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.