• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What to Carry on a Trip with Your LBC

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
What would you carry with you on a trip using your LBC? Give it 100 miles both ways. Assume that you are going with a group of other LBC's.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
AAA road service.

Seriously the only problems I had with the TR6, other then flat tires, were distributor caps and rotors. I once had the distributor shaft run dry on me, which was resolved by dripping engine oil from the dip stick.

swift6

Yoda
A cell phone and my AAA plus card since I can use it to tow other peoples cars if I need to. Maybe a tow rope to tow the inevitable broken down MG. :devilgrin:

My Triumphs have never had problems with 100 mile trips. Or 1000 mile trips come to think of it. But there is always the unexpected. :blush:

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Here's what's in my Bag of Tricks:

Master cylinder
Racer's tape
Radiator hoses
Radiator cap
Hose clamps
Brake fluid
Ty-raps
Fan belt
Electric fuel pump
Fuel hose
SU carb gasket kit
Wire jumpers
Electrical tape
Aircraft safety wire
Fluorescent work light that connects to battery
Selection of electrical terminals
Lead hammer
Original jack
Flashlight
U-joint
Ignition parts & coil wire
Tube of Silicone Gasket Maker
Master cylinder rebuild kit

I also carry a bag of tools, quart of oil, and an inner tube.

philman

Jedi Knight
drinking water, a book to read, and toilet paper. everything else you can wait for.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A roll of duct tape, some baling wire and a claw hammer.:smile: It doesn't really matter, as whatever you take will not be what breaks or needs repair. It has been my experience when traveling with a group of LBC's that some of the strangest items are used by someone other than the one who brought them. I've had relatively trouble free touring from my Triumph and the J-H. Just got back from a 4 day loop through the Colorado High Country. 1247 miles between 5,000 and 10,000 feet. One blown tire which was completly avoidable as I should have put new skins on when I got the car. My Bad.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
:iagree:
What ever you take you won't need it. It will be something else that brakes. Having said that I have completed several 1,000 mile rallies on rough Scottish and Irish roads and all I have ever used is some duct tape.
I have a box of tools and a box of odds and ends - point, plugs, rotor arm, nuts and bolts. Used to carry a fan belt and universl joint, but haven't taken them with me recently.
I usually end up giving the spare parts to other competitors!

tomshobby

Yoda
I take a small tool box with some very basic tools. No wrenches. A spare dizzy plate and a couple spare bulbs. 8,000 miles since the engine build and have never used any of it.

What is important is that Shirley is along and a few human necessities. Something to drink, something for a quick picnic lunch, insulin, maps, AAA card, cell phone, a heavy shirt, and light jacket. Maybe some sun screen and a huge container of mosquito spray.

If we are staying overnight in a place where the car sits unprotected we do wait until morning to fill with gas, what is not there can't be stolen.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
As Steve Hedke once advised, make sure that your TR is in perfect condition before you leave home and you will never need any of those parts you carry with you. It's better to work on your car in your warm dry garage at home before you leave - than to work in the dark lying on your back in the gravel and mud along the side of a road on a dangerous curve in the rain.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
If I'm going on a long drive (miles & days gone) like to VTR last year for a week, I take some assorted wrenches and sockets that cover most nuts & bolts along with a quart of oil. If I'm doing a day or weekend trip of a few hundred miles I just bring my AARP Travel Card. It's been over 10 years and she's never been on a tow truck hook.....knock on wood.

T

Tinster

Tinkerman said:
What would you carry with you on a trip using your LBC? Give it 100 miles both ways. Assume that you are going with a group of other LBC's.

<span style="color: #990000">Really!

I was not aware a Triumph TR6 was capable of 200 miles
without a major breakdown. I usually carry one each
of the entire contents of TRF parts book.
:yesnod:
d</span>

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
AAA card & a cell phone, dont leave home without them!

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
In 2000, I drove my 1958 TR3A from Montreal to VRT in Portland Oregon. That trip was a total of 7300 miles. I rebuilt the overdrive there but didn't have many other problems. I had convoyed out with another TR3A owner and when my generator failed in Yellowstone Nat'l Park, we swopped batteries and I drove the last two days on Gary's battery, while he re-charged mine in his TR3A. A friend - also an original owner from Laguna Hills, Calif. sold me his spare generator for $50.00 and an hour later, it was charging again.

A year later, I drove a total of 5300 miles to VTR 2001 in Colorado. I changed the front wheel bearings at Joe Alexander's and bought new tires in Iowa on the way out, but that was all.

I didn't have anyone to convoy with me to Colorado and I don't have a CB and back then I didn't have a cell phone.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Everything you can!!

Seriously though a set of points, extra oil, spark plug and wrench waterless hand cleaner, rags and a fan belt.

Attachments

• 12279.jpg
    12279.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 179
Country flag
I'd carry tune up parts: plugs, points, condenser, rotor and
old cap/wires if I have them (new ones belong on the car!), old radiator hoses and fan belt (new ones on car, too). A coil of wire and connectors.

Consumables:
Bulbs.
Oil.
Water. (Odd not to see that mentioned before.)
Brake/Clutch fluid.

Tools:
Combination wrenches: 3/8-7/16, 1/2-9/16, 5/8-11/16;
sockets in the same sizes, Plug Socket.
Screwdrivers: Straight & Pozi and one big one for prying. Standard and Needlenose Pliers.
Vise grips.
Jumper cables.
Multimeter.
Flashlight- the kind that straps to the head is VERY useful.

And the ever popular duct tape and coat hanger wire. Bungy cords can be useful too.

This takes some space but not that much.

I too carry a mobile phone and road-side assistance card, but...

If you're where there's no signal... and if you want to sit for a couple hours 'til they get there.... :cryin: