• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A What spare parts do you carry?

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
I'm going to take my TR3 up north for a month in August. What parts would you carry? I have points, condenser, fan belt. What else?

Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I carry an entire distributor, with cap and wires. Set of radiator hoses. One of the little Facet electric fuel pumps, in the right pressure rating and with fittings for the inlet and outlet. Several feet of fuel line and some clamps to connect it with. That all just fits in the center of the spare tire, wrapped in plastic and a towel. The towel is useful to kneel on.

DMM with an assortment of clip leads. Bottle of DOT 5; couple bottles of VR1.

And the usual assortment of tools.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I just take a cell phone and a credit card. I used to try to predict what I might need, but I eventually figured out that no matter what quantity of spares I brought...something else would go out. If I am worried about any part on my cars, I fix it. If it's something i didnt know to worry about...i wouldnt have brought it anyway. I now travel "dry".

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
John's right - Cell phone and credit card are #1.

But if you don't like the inconvenience of waiting on parts somewhere, it is amazing what you can haul with you and hopefully never use!

This last big trip I had roughly the following:

generator
spare pertronix
ignition cap/wires
plugs
complete engine gasket kit (which may be laughable but its easily hides next to the gas tank)
fuel pump
water pump
hose set
fuel filter
brake/clutch mc
clutch slave
rear wheel brake cylinder
brake/clutch hydraulic hoses
spare SU bits including needle valve, float, some linkage etc

plus a pretty good set of tools that were definitely overkill but could let me do some pretty good work on the car if needed - other than typical tools I carried a colortune setup, carb syncronizer, timing gun for example as I had been working on getting my car tuned and wasn't sure I was completely done. My main philosophy was that I wanted to be prepared to handle any problem that I could fix myself inside of a day if I had the stuff (like a head gasket or leaking hydraulics bit).

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
This thread has a similar discussion -- also revealing all sorts from cell phone & credit car to extensive spares. I tend to pack a lot as three time a year I take longer (1000+ mile) drives, most of it in areas w/o cell service.

...That all just fits in the center of the spare tire, wrapped in plastic and a towel. The towel is useful to kneel on...

And, most importantly, you always know where your towel is.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

I carry with me "ALL THE TIME":

Phone & Card:
Plugs, Cap, Rotor, Condensor:
Min. 1 Qt. Oil & Brake / Clutch Fluid:
No ones mentioned this but 1 Gal. Anti-freeze or at least water:
Fan Belt:
Variety of Fuses:
Normal tools; Socket Set, Variety of Screwdrivers, Pliers, Adj. Wrench:
Hydraulic Jack:

Have a Fun, Safe Trip.

Russ

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have a Pertronix, and like many carry a full set of points, condenser and such to switch back if it fails, distributor cap with wires, when I had a wire wheel car I carried an extra tube, as many shops don't have them any more. The usual sockets, wrenches and screwdrivers, vice grips, also both insulated and baling wire as well as electrical tape, a simple voltage tester light always, and sometimes a multi-meter, a quart of oil or two and some brake fluid. I don't usually carry anti-freeze or water as I figure I can source it fairly easily if needed and it is bulky and heavy. I always have a shop manual of some kind under the passenger seat in case I need the specs for something I need to reset, but I don't know if I have ever used it on the road, but it makes me feel better, and it fits so neatly under the seat.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I found my 3 to be remarkable reliable. Perhaps it was just a streak of good luck but in ten years and close to 100 thousand miles I was never stranded (to the point of requiring assistance) on the road and I carried little more than a low end Sears toolkit. Of course, most of those miles were fairly close to home and I had only a few miles to drive without a clutch, for instance. My point is that you shouldn't expect to be constantly concerned with keeping the old thing running. Carry the spares that will give you confidence and that will fit in the very limited space you have and enjoy your trip! Tom

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
How every British car should travel with spares on an extended trip. Pic not that good but extra engine head sheet metal generator starter etc.

Attachments

• TR3trip.jpg
    TR3trip.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 101

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
The points wear quickly and lose their efficiency ( start to pit). I change mine out at 2,000 miles. At least carry a multi tip screwdriver , a pair of needle nose pliers, a 7/16" wrench and a .015" feeler guage . A twelve volt test light is good to carry in addition to all the input you've received.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
How every British car should travel with spares on an extended trip. Pic not that good but extra engine head sheet metal generator starter etc.

And lawn chair for your passenger to sit in while you are fixing the car! :smile:

Scott

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've heard plenty of stories of aftermarket electronic ignitions failing, but have one installed because when they work, they work well and do not need adjusted/monitored -But I keep a complete distributor (with points/condensor/rotor/cap/wires) and plugs in with the spare. I have a tiny spare so also have room for a scissor jack, lug wrench, an old belt, water pump, meter, and generator. I've had 2 issues with generator bushings (maybe I keep the belt too tight) and was glad I had one on my last trip. I carry a multimeter, cross and flat screwdrivers, 2)1/2", 9/16", 7/16" and adjustable wrenches, pliers, dikes, a small multi-tool and 2 quarts of oil. To get it all to slide into the spare slot, it slides on a towel so I always know where my towel is. And don't forget the fold-up side curtains. On the "occasional seat" I have 2 sweatshirts, 2 windbreakers, a blanket, 2 warm hats, 2 sunny hats, and 2 towels because weather can change when you least expect. I had more than I needed for my last 5,800 mile trek.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah I think we are touching on the good topic - worrying about the car breaking vs thinking about what to take. I loaded up my car with a lot of what if stuff on this last 4000 mile trip - and the only thing I used was the last thing I put in the car. I stowed a spare wiper arm in the car because I remembered discussions that occasionally they can fly off. Mine did in fact. I found it, but it was looking like it would do it again so I swapped it out. The prior trip I took I threw in a brake mc rebuild kit just because it was small and potentially handy. It was, for my travel buddy who had an m/c go out midway on the trip.

These cars can be and are very dependable - so fear shouldn't be the driver in loading up on parts. But the cars do breakdown. So my next trip, I won't expect to break down, but I'll be packing away similar stuff 'just in case'.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The only things I carry are windex and Maguires quick detail and my Hagerty insurance card. I wouldn't know what to do with anything else because I am not in the league of mechanical marvels.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I put together a list for myself and our local car club.

TR PARTS TRUNK BOX

POINTS, CONDENSER, ROTOR AND LOW VOLTAGE LEAD
COIL
WATER PUMP WITH PULLEY AND BOLT MOUNTED PLUS GASKET
FUEL PUMP
SET OF RADIATOR HOSES AND TWO HOSE CLAMPS
FAN BELT
FUEL LINE - 2 ( 1/4 AND 5/16) SIZES PLUS 2 PIECES OF METAL TUBING TO MAKE A SPLICE IF NEEDED + TWO SMALL CLAMPS
EXTRA WIRES -SEVERAL SIZES AND SEVERAL FEET OF EACH
GASKETS- THERMOSTAT AND FUEL PUMP BOWL
ONE GALLON OF PREMIXED ANTIFREEZE
ONE QUART OF OIL
FUEL FILTER
DISTRIBUTOR CAP WITH PLUG WIRES
SPARK PLUG SET
TOOL SET
FIRE EXTINGUISHER

EXTRA 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 " BOLTS AND NUTS
DUCT TAPE
EXTRA FRONT WHEEL BEARING SET (AN OLD REPLACED SET IS GOOD ENOUGH TO GET ONE HOME)
VOLT METER
TEST LIGHT FOR 12 VOLT SYSTEM
ELECTRICAL TAPE
IN ADDITION--SECOND PRIORITY EXTRA 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 " BOLTS AND NUTS
FUEL SIPHON (for when your friend runs out of gas)

I do also carry a AAA card and a lawn chair.

So far I have used for myself or a friend: coil 2X. low tension lead, water pump, spare hose and antifreeze, distributor cap with plug wires and spare points distributor ( when the electronic one went totaly dead. I now only have points distr. and extra points.) I could have used the fuel siphon twice to help others, but it was not added until lately.
This all fits into the spare tire and a small carftsman bag in the TR4. Yes, there is more room in the TR4 than the TR3. But I would just find a good way to spread it out so the side curtains can still fit in the trunk.
Charley

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
All of you seem to forget the co-pilot who insists on taking four complete change of clothes for a two day trip but I still would not consider leaving without her!

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am sure we are all "fighting the last battle"-whatever let us down in the past, we carry an extra of that part, even though it will probably never be needed. For me, it was a broken bolt on the accordian clamp that connects the throttle shafts. I was on the freeway, let off the gas, and the car didn't slow down. Fortunately, I was able to shut off the ign. and coast to a stop on the shoulder. Bottom line, I carry an extra accordian clamp with bolts and a return springs. Another source of entertainment was the white/black wire that runs from the coil to dist. I managed to fix that with a length of wire with alligator clips.
Anyway, frequent use and being "connected" to the car probably provides as much peace of mind as a trailer full of spare parts.
Berry

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Know a number of folks who sing the praises of the Gravity Batteries Micro-Start. It's a small rechargeable battery jump start pack. I became impressed when I saw it jump start a New Holland 4cylinder diesel tractor. https://antigravitybatteries.com/microstart/

And....I've always heard it's not a bad idea to carry a hanger with you....just in case.

Last edited:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have never seen a wooden hanger used to as a muffler hanger, but an old metal clothes hanger works quite well, pliable enough to be bent by hand, strong enough to do the job, not a bad thing to have in the boot.