• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

our trip

tomshobby

Yoda
Shirley and I got home around 7pm yesterday after a trip in our TR6 covering 5,872 miles. We only had one problem with the car, or rather a 1-year-old replacement TRW clutch master cylinder. That happened in Provost, Alberta. That left us stranded 1.500 miles from home. We got help from one of my cousins rebuilding the slave with domestic car parts. And thought the problem was fixed. And soon found that was not the problem at all. So I ended up driving close to 400 miles to Calgary with no clutch. We ended up staying with Dave and Barbara More Where we could change oil and filter. And thanks to Dave and his neighbor Shawn found a used OEM clutch master. No more problems and the car ran great for the rest of the trip.

The rest of the trip went well. We started and ended in Wisconsin. Drove through Minnesota, North Dakota, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota.

Our TR6 has now been in 28 States and 3 Canadian Provinces. Yours?

We traveled on Interstate Highways, 2-lane highways, and twisty mountain roads, and mountain roads that make “The Tail of the Dragon” look like a super highway. And roads with many 1-lane 2-way tunnels. (Blow horn before entering)

Most of our trip was in Mountains from Jasper, British Columbia to Oregon and from Oregon to South Dakota. Oh, watch your speed in BC. They can impound your car on the spot for excessive speeding. I was a model driver there. We did have an encounter with the police in BC, no ticket, and that is another story.

The Canadian Rockies are spectacular. The road from Banf to Jasper is more rocky and from Jasper to Kamloops is covered with lush vegetation. We were at a glacier And were above 4,000 meter elevation.

We crossed the border on hwy 97 and headed south along the upper Columbia River, which is a fruit growing area.

The hands down most beautiful part of the trip was the last part of hwy 97 that we were on going to Auburn, WA. Auburn is a nice place but the streets must have been laid out by drunken sailors. We were visiting one of my cousins and we went out to eat at a restaurant on Puget Sound. The next day we went to Mt Rainer and Mt St Helens. We visited the World Kite Museum on Long Island then into Oregon to visit some of Shirley’s cousins.

We visited Yellowstone and drove from Jackson Hole to West Yellowstone where we stayed and met with another cousin then west from West Yellowstone to the East entrance and to Cody, WO.

Then to Devils Tower and on to Custer Park and drove the Needles Highway and other roads in the park. If you like driving very narrow and twisty roads with narrow 1-lane tunnels this is a must-experience place. We saw Crazy Horse and Rushmore.

300 miles from home Shirley asked where next year. So we started planning. The New England States seem to be in favor.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Tom -

Great to hear your trip went well! We need pictures of course.. :smile:

How'd the trailer do?

Randy

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good on you and Shirley, Tom! Really enjoyed the visit when you were here.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tomshobby said:
Shirley asked where next year. So we started planning. The New England States seem to be in favor.

It's not the destination, but the journey.

I've driven my TR6 from Texas to Pennsylvania. -Just making east, west, south and north borders of Texas is a trip. I plan to drive my TR3 from coast to coast, assuming I ever get it finished.

Thanks for sharing your story.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Descriptions of the trip sound wonderful, plus with the outlook of another one in your future you're doing what many of us just dream about (said with admiration and just a touch of envy - not the bad kind, mind you).

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You two are quite a pair, Tom. I'm afraid I'd would have had to put Cormae on a bus home within the first 1000 miles..too much togetherness.
Anyway, welcome back.

OP
tomshobby

tomshobby

Yoda
TexasKnucklehead said:
I plan to drive my TR3 from coast to coast, assuming I ever get it finished.
We weere to the east coast last summer and the west coast this summer. We still want more!

Hi Mickey, Shirley and I also enjoyed spending some time with you and Janet. It is in large part the people that make these trips so enjoyable.

We met a fellow traveler in Boise who was from Clarksville and had spent time at Ft Campbell when I was there in 1966. So if you have a guy stop by and mention my name....

Randy, the trailer did great. I checked the hubs from time to time and they never got more than lukewarm.

Attachments

• 29451.jpg
    29451.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 29452.jpg
    29452.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 29453.jpg
    29453.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 29454.jpg
    29454.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 29455.jpg
    29455.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 29456.jpg
    29456.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 214

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tomshobby said:
Hi Mickey, Shirley and I also enjoyed spending some time with you and Janet. It is in large part the people that make these trips so enjoyable.

We met a fellow traveler in Boise who was from Clarksville and had spent time at Ft Campbell when I was there in 1966. So if you have a guy stop by and mention my name....

Great!

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Gorgeous country there Tom - bet you and Shirley made a lot of people in your family happy too, with what you delivered!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dang ,that looks familiar.
A sunny Day. Should have bought a LOTTO ticket
IMG_4169.JPG

"The hands down most beautiful part of the trip was the last part of hwy 97 that we were on going to Auburn, WA. ""

Born there

Where'd you eat?

OP
tomshobby

tomshobby

Yoda
TR4nut said:
Gorgeous country there Tom - bet you and Shirley made a lot of people in your family happy too, with what you delivered!

We were pretty popular at the reunion. We hauled books in 3 vehicles and were treated very well at customs.
Coming back we were also treated well. A few simple questions and when the guard found out I had served he thanked me for my service and sent us through.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
What a great time that must have been. Get much rain? Top down the whole time? Engine purred the whole trip? Temperature gauge right smack in the middle?

What great fun. Imagine doing the trip again, but this time in 1978 Buick Century! I'm trying to imagine for you, and I'm feeling some depression setting in . . .

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Tom - it's posts like yours that almost convince me to make my own coast to coast drive, in my TR3. Need to decide if it's possible before the systems completely fall apart (both me *and* my car).

If you ever need ideas for a New England driving holiday, just let me know.

Tom in Connecticut

OP
tomshobby

tomshobby

Yoda
KVH, The gauges stayed constant as the photo shows except for one day going up the mountains with the temp 103 degrees. I was playing with some other cars And the temp got to the center mark.

We had the top down nearly all the time. There were a couple times when there were local mountain showers that we put it up and the last day while leaving South Dakota and into Minnesota that it was up.

Attachments

• 29462.jpg
    29462.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 155

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That is a great story Tom. I hope that I can meet up with you guys if you do NE next year. But don't look for any mountains or bison in my area........

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Glad you enjoyed Washington. I need to take my TR on a scenic drive in the mountains before the weather turns!