• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What I am doing.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There seems to be a total lack of activity on/in this forum of late. No, we are not racing but for sure some of us are making repairs, modifications, etc. in preparation for this year's season which is rapidly approaching.

In July 2013 I managed to run my Courier into a wall at PVGP, damaging the front right corner and also removing a large piece of the right rear fender--See attached photos.

I'm now in the process of making repairs and while doing so I am upgrading to disc brakes in front. Couriers customarily use Triumph GT6 front brakes and sourcing out all of the parts has been an interesting exercise in internet sleuthing.

More to follow as progress progresses.

Attachments

• IMG_0364.JPG
    IMG_0364.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 58

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Michael -

Thanks for posting, I was feeling the same way, not activating. I had a bad "off" in the ELVF at Road America this past fall. Steering bearing failure at a critical moment and insueing spin exiting T#5, concluding with a full front kiss of the wall, left me with a lot of aluminum to repair (both fenders, shroud, and bonnet). Looking at the 2015 schedule, I might be ready by the fall. We've pulled out as much as possible while everything's been in place. It's now time to get all the panels to my body man and on the jig. Although, I'm building a new shop/garage this spring and will be pretty busy on the home front.

photo 2-7.jpg

photo 4-2.jpg

'57 AH Shroud on jig.jpg

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Doug--

I'm sorry to learn of your incident and I hope the damage does not go much deeper than the bodywork, though it looks like that is certainly enough.

One of the advantages of a fiberglass car such as the Courier is that repairs are easier, if messier. However old repairs to totally different areas sometimes seem to surface and now there are a couple of gel coat cracks on the left side of the car that were not there prior to impact. As luck would have it I had gotten the car out of the paint shop just prior to the PVGP incident and now it looks like I will have to have the entire car reshot if it is to look good.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Ouch! Doug that looks like it took quite a hit, hope you were able to walk away from that. I'm usually at turn 5 at Road America for those races, 2014 was the first year that I missed for some time. I'd had been bummed out to have seen that happen, the more so because you're a member of the BCF.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Ouch, Dougie! Did not realize that had happened. Best of luck with repairs but it looks like you have it well under way.

Michael: Glad to hear the Courier is on its way to being repaired too. I'm sure I'll see you at the Jefferson 500.

It's too cold here to work in my unheated garage so I'm doing......absolutely nothing on either race car.
Actually we own an unrented second home that we are working on right now so we can (finally) rent it out. We should have a renter in it soon.

Also, I've been doing some work on my plane and I was able to sell it this week.

This will all help with the racing budget. :friendly_wink:

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Dougie- really sorry to see that. Do you think you will make the All British Field meet and Columbia River Classic the 1st weekend in Sept.? We are thinking of making a trip to see the twin grandkids sometime in early Sept., and being in town for it is an option.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hello Dart -

Yes, I have that weekend in mind to be back on the track. Hope to see you there.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
On Wednesday afternoon I departed Maryland to race at SVRA's Road Atlanta event. By that evening I got down to North Carolina and shortly after checking in to a hotel for the night I received a call from SVRA telling me that the event was cancelled due to weather. Yesterday i drove back home and am cooling my jets for a few more days before once again setting out south for the Sebring races next weekend.

Elva164

Jedi Trainee
On Wednesday afternoon I departed Maryland to race at SVRA's Road Atlanta event. By that evening I got down to North Carolina and shortly after checking in to a hotel for the night I received a call from SVRA telling me that the event was cancelled due to weather. Yesterday i drove back home and am cooling my jets for a few more days before once again setting out south for the Sebring races next weekend.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to work on the Courier!

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks, I wish he was a little closer. I do have a good aluminum guy here Portland, a real artist. I just have to get everything together and over him still.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I cringed when I saw you spin and hit the wall, sure sorry that happened as I know you do too. Glad you have a good man to bring it back to its glory!!

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Aaron--

Thanks but I have already gathered all the bits.