• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Doing stuff right is such a pain in the....

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So as several of you figured out via your (very) much appreciated help I'm back working on the MGA again. For the record I am trying hard not to short cut anything, but man can it be a pain in the butt to do stuff the right way.

I'm up to my elbows in 40+ years of grease trying to clean the frame so I can POR15 it while the engine is out. When led to an engine bay repaint, or will once I finish stripping that and degreasing there too.

The thought of grabbing a flat black rattle can has cross my mind several times, but I figure I did this to myself and it <span style="font-weight: bold">will</span> be the last time I every strip an MGA frame so I just need to suck it up.

But still....

V6MGB

Yeah ,
I have to agree it IS easier to be tempted by the dark side every so often but hang in there as the results are worth the extra effort in the end.

Maybe a few photos as you go can get a few others inspired and keep you motivated as well?

Cheers , Pete.

Steve_S

Yoda
The results WILL be worth it! Have you considered having the frame sandblasted? Sometimes the cost is worth the savings in time and effort.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Steve - if I room to separate the frame from the body (oh, and time and more money) I'd be there in the heart beat. At this point I'm basically trying to make sure she is well preserved for when that day comes.

I've been super lucky so far in that other than some really minor welding all I've been dealing with the grime, so I really shouldn't complain too much.

I pulled the engine and transmission and brought them to Chris Gough for a new bearings and synchros, so I'm kind of committed now to get it done!

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I'm being a wuss about it - since the body has already been painted I'm afraid manage to mess it up so I'm doing everything by hand. (for the record - I didn't personally do it in that order. This is an abandoned project I bought).

The back 1/2 is already done, so I can see the end of it.

You know - I really should stop complaining now. I think I just needed to step away from it for a bit and talk it out.

Thanks!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Dawn Power Disolver...then Marine Clean and Metal Prep...then POR15...it will outlast me after than.

Good luck and have fun.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Back at this AM and making progress on getting down to clean frame - whoo hoo!

(OK, not really whoo hoo but progress anyway. Good time to catch up on Podcasts that I haven't had time to listen to while I'm scrubbing).

Thanks for the motivations guys.

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I know where you are coming from. I recently started cleaning up the underside of my B, under where the tank lives. I also have gone forward to the rear panel behind the seats, all done by hand. It was gratifying to see the five layers of paint (all different colors) coming off, and getting down to shiny metal. I know when I do all this work, it will be worth it.

I try to do some every day, but on the days I get frustrated, I just walk away, knowing that the old girl will still be there waiting for me.